Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: [JMS] JMS v301 - Hayato

1. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

You always did virtually nothing.

Most of the time it took to advance was riding 2~3ships to get to where you needed to go and talk to who you needed to talk to with a small quest that took a few minutes at most to finish usually.

Mmm, that's a true accomplishment: AFKing on ships for half an hour. Fuck yeah.

2. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

If Nexon were logical, and not operating on Troll Logic ver.4_chan, then they would have replaced the existing ones.

But Nexon isn't, so the rules of logic don't apply when discussing MapleStory.

Aliens!

3. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Uh, no. If Nexon were logical, they wouldn't have created 100 classes in the first place.

4. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Actually the creation of multiple classes is a logical design move by Nexon. This is since the creation of new different classes allows the designers more freedom in design for later content and lets them stall power creep. Extra Credits did a video on it so I'd say watch the video bellow since I think they can explain this issue better than me.

Nexon just must be failing at making the classes incomparable if everyone is complaining.

5. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

What freedom in design for "later content"? When have they added later content? When has later content even been influenced by new classes, other than to make the Boss HP so high that you have to be an NX whore to be able to beat them, due to the new classes being significantly more powerful than the previous one(s)?

Not only that, but Nexon is failing at actually making "later content". New classes are fine if you can actually back that stuff up with solid content (When I say content, I mean actual areas, monsters, bosses, dungeons, PQs, quests, etc., that applies to all players, not just new characters of the new classes). Instead, we get class after class after class, and the most we get in new content is beginners areas to fill in the reason for the new class's existence. There's more than enough people on these forums that express disinterest in the game as a whole because Nexon isn't adding anything to keep appeal. Adding more classes will never add appeal, because the class as a whole ends up being the player doing the SAME EXACT things over and over again.

Nexon gives people more reasons to abandon the game as a whole. We have other MMOs coming out with significantly more content, actual end-game, and achievable goals. Meanwhile you look back at MapleStory and on one corner all you see is the few new Boss HP values becoming so high they have to find ways to avoid 32-bit integer limits. That shouldn't even be an issue in the first place! You turn and look at the other corner and all you see is more classes. The other two corners are completely empty, growing spiderwebs.

I would agree with your theory, if Nexon was doing something else other than adding more classes. That's all they're doing. They're not creating freedom in design for later content because there is no later content. Even if there was, it doesn't add freedom of design in any way. Nexon has shown many times that if they want to change something so that something else will work properly, they just revamp the existing classes.

Yes, they do. But while they do, they also get tons of new areas and things to do. Everytime WoW adds an expansion pack, it increases the level cap, adds more areas, adds more quests, adds more everything. All Nexon ever does is add more classes. Nexon's additions are like a four-sided scale where everything is placed on one side, when it should be evenly distributed on all four.

6. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

That video is just...awesome. Although, if it says anything about Nexon, it's the exact opposite of what you're saying. Nexon is focusing entirely on releasing new classes in order to accelerate power creep and increase the monetization of it. Ever since the cash shop started selling game altering items, profiting from power creep has been their modus operandi. They're never trying to stall it, because stalling it means less money for them due to the current status quo of more powerful items and abilities going hand in hand with cash shop items.

Although, if NexAm continues to be less profitable than the less greedy overseas versions where Evans aren't pay to play, then that video is absolutely right about power creep being detrimental to business. Personally, I'm licking my chops in anticipation for the day GMS gets hoist by its own money grubbing petard.

Sit down and let me tell you about ye olden days, when there was only an island called Victoria.

Actually, new classes are pretty damn cool. It's not just doing the same thing over again, it's doing the same thing over again differently, and with new abilities.

+1 for this.

Truly, MapleStory needs a gamewide nerf of all content.

7. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Just as an FYI, I played during Beta. Practically the second the game left Beta we got Orbis. Then we got Ludi. Then, in an order I don't remember, we got Aqua Road, KFT, Omega Sector, Leafre, Mu Gong, and Ariant. They were all while the only classes were the four sets of Adventurers, before Pirates even existed, and Cygnus wasn't around either. I quit my first time (because of school mostly) around the same time JMS got Ariant and Mu Gong (I remember exploring both and then doing Pirate PQ a few times on my last day playing on my old 8-9x Ranger). I come back to Pirates, Cygnus, Aran, Evan, and all kinds of other crap. They released all kinds of real content without ever adding a class back then. Those were good days, when every major patch started off with tons of exploration and figuring out what's new and what you can do in the new areas.

Skip over to today. While I agree with all the Big Bang revamps, and the reductions of the level requirements and all that stuff...Potential wasn't necessary but whatever, it's not part of the discussion. There has been a complete reversal of the patches. Instead of new areas, we get new classes. A new area is practically non-existent unless it's an area for the new class, which is essentially worthless unless it includes content that old characters can actually participate in (which is rarely the case).

At least when they decided to add Hayato and Kanna to JMS, they added a new system (regardless of whether or not it's a copy of Aswan, because JMS doesn't have Aswan so it's new to JMS), and they're adding a new PQ of sorts with Kanna. They added content with these new classes which I am perfectly fine with. I don't care so much that they keep adding classes, I care that they keep adding classes and giving us nothing else. Why do I want to start over every two weeks because they added some new class, yet again? How are people not insanely annoyed by this? How is it fun to have 20+ characters on your character select, and look at them all and essentially be looking at wasted time?

New classes are cool for usually about a few days. Then most people get bored. Just look at JMS's English Community for a perfect example. A ton of people swarmed into JMS for Hayato, played for about half of a week, and now we don't see most of them anymore. They played, the initial thrill wore off, and they left. The worst part about that is Hayato is basically the most innovative character they've come up with. He's very interactive, very fun to play...and yet people still bore of him easily because they're doing the same exact crap they do in GMS, just without their broken gear.

8. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Sorry but liking it alone didn't seem enough. This.

If the theories of that video were taken into consideration, all new classes would have different mechanics to the old ones, not just look different, and that alone would be appealing enough to lure out new players instead of making them stronger than every class released previously, which is what they do right now. The only original mechanism that Angelic Burster brings into the game that no other class has is the hovering spinning monsters, which isn't more than monsters diying in a different way.

Actually Nexon has released new content, prolly not at the rate one would want or the kind some want but its still there, being Aswan the last one of it. My main complaint game-design-wise is the addition of more and more classes that simply do nothing but what others already did, with a different animation.

9. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

But how old is Aswan at this point? 7 months? That's my point.

10. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Now, aren't we supposed to get "Hellisium" and a new set of lvl 150 weapons? Is Hellisium that Phanteon's expansion up to lvl 90?

11. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Yea, i think Hellisium is that level 90 dungeon.

12. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

I wasn't implying you didn't play during beta, because everyone played during beta, even those that didn't. However, my point was that those were indeed good days. They added both classes and areas. I was simply pointing out that was that there was a time when they did so, and that it hasn't always been like this.

I hope those are rhetorical questions, because the answer is obvious. It's because everyone loves buff mules. The precedent set with the Cygnus Knights and continued on into the card system was a horrible precedent to set, but it's been completely and utterly adopted by the majority of players. Some are annoyed at a lack of new areas, but most just get excited about new classes, new link skills and the fact that NexAm is still adding content, because that's just how low the expectations bar is nowadays. As much as I'd also like Nexon to stop catering to the lowest common denominator in the community, it's pretty much set in stone that it'll continue unless the community's collective mentality undergoes a colossal paradigm shift to shun the pay to win, damage whoring nature of the game. Sadly, 10 year olds don't understand the concept of ethics in a country that's religiously capitalist ETHICS BE DAMNED.

You're...talking about a small subset of the english speaking community in a version of the game that doesn't suck, where the god tier class isn't pay to play and Demon Slayers are permanent (IIRC, there was a button for creating them on the character creation screen in one of the Hayato videos on youtube). A speedy swordsman capable of rapid fire swordicuffs would ironically be significantly more popular in the other versions (that get less attention from Nexon) which he'll never be exported to. Especially in GMS cough cough. Mostly because, with JMS, even if they release a new class, the client isn't in english and most of the players in that version don't speak it, so it's a matter of course that not even a new class would keep english speaking non-Nipponjin from going back to friends and guildies in their native versions.

But on a related note, how do the actual JMS players like the class? That would be a better metric to go by.

AND THEY BETTER DAMN WELL LIKE IT! If only because their not liking it would mean that they not only get all the cool exclusives, but also that they're not even grateful for the attention and content players in other versions lust after.

L> Trade Jett and Dragon Warrior for Hayato and Kanna

Well, Angelic Burster is a little more unique than that. But to be more specific, new classes are pretty cool relative to the unoriginality that Nexon normally displays. Because Nebulites and NLC being destroyed, both in the plot and as an area. However, it is true that they're horrible when it comes to innovation. But that isn't news.

As much as I'd like new classes like Hayato and Kanna that fill different niches, instead of more powerful rehashes of existing characters, that we get new characters at all is still a plus and deserves praise. At least until they get rid of the critical flaws of the current permanent classes. After that, we won't need any new classes. But as long as the permanent classes have a level 120 cap, are weak as hell, slow as hell, mob for pomegranate, boss for pomegranate or are lacking two races, there's always a need for better classes.

But then...I suppose that's the brilliance of not simply buffing the older classes up instead. It constantly drives players to new characters with exclusive cash shop inventories. In fact, maybe it's a conscious decision by Nexon to focus entirely on exclusive cash shop inventories, like they do on gachapon/potential/nebulites/inner abilities, since new areas don't generate profit on their own.

At least until they start releasing areas that require cash shop items to enter.

13. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

From what I can tell, they love it. A lot of them say Phantom is better, simply because there's a thief fetish in JMS, for some reason and a lot of others say they're just holding off until Kanna, because "kawaii characters are better" (which is why tons of people have been telling me Angelic Burster is better than Hayato, which is dumb as f'uck, because it's just a god damn barbie which is over done and looks like crap to me).

It's kind of hard to sift through the comments of complaints about the bugs, though. Nexon Japan hasn't fixed any of the bugs yet and it's pissing people off. lol

You mean like GMS' Haunted Mansion when it was released? lol

14. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: v301 - Hyato

6:28 is one of the most crucial things some players want in MapleStory. If they did implement it, I would agree 100% to it but that system is sort of in Maple already. (Ex: Be to lv160, unlock access to Henesys Ruins)

15. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Japan is the poster nation for naughty tentacles, so it's no surprise that they prefer fetish fuel over manly men of manliness.

That feeling. GMS players know it all too well.

16. Default Re: JMS v301 - Hayato

What the hell kind of stuff have the people at JMS and KMS been getting into lately.

Whatever it is they need to keep doing it and send some to GMS as well.

17. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

So um...I'm starting JMS for Kanna and I wanna try Angelic Buster whenever she comes out. All these new cute and flashy classes are drawing me back. Hi Justin.

18. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

お帰り

If you want help with JMS. You can Me, Justin, or Polantaris about it. We'd all be happy to help you.

19. Default Re: v301 - Hyato

Add me if you want. We're all in Keyaki, right? I'm 月夜と黒刀 if you wanna add me. Just made a Hayato for the hell of it, but I wanna try Kanna out.

Edit - Level 37. Hayato is awesome.
    Last edited by Kunagisa; 2012-08-15 at 02:32 AM.