Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cybernetic Hate Crime?

http://io9.com/5926587/what-may-be-t...rench-mcdonald

I honestly don't understand what they were thinking. Why did they attack him? To me that's like attacking someone because they have a laptop or something...:l

2. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

What.... this is just not okay in my book. However, I wouldn't go as far to call it a cybernetic hate crime. :/

3. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

Yeah, neither would I, just quoting the article.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

Maybe they thought the Glass would steal their souls?

5. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

I read it on slashdot earlier and this is by far the oddest thing I've heard in a bit.

Slashdot actually has his own blog account of the story up, and it reads weirdly.

http://eyetap.blogspot.com/2012/07/p...nalds-for.html

It's just somewhat baffling.

6. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

I've read theories that the McDonalds is a mafia or government front. Odd news story from any angle, though.

7. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

You know, common sense generally dictates that if you are uncomfortable with something, you should talk with that person before going ape pomegranate over it. I am worried about the massive cyber implant type devices that the future could hold, but having an unprovoked attack, especially when the dude had documentations FROM A DOCTOR, is completely unnecessary. If they read the damned thing, they would have known that the device if practically glued to his head and they could have seriously injured him if they removed it.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

The idea of someone yanking something that is attached to my eye sockets is giving me the heeby jeebies.

9. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

So why in the hell are these guys offended by this guy wearing something that helps hi see?

10. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

Apparently they have something against people with cameras.

11. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

But even if that were true, how would that instigate them to attack some dude with a device attached to his head? I don't see people with bluetooth devices getting attacked...much.

12. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

Which is funny/sad because they don't mind one bit that their employer is watching them 24/7. As is everything else in the entire world at this point. Almost everywhere you go there's cameras, to flip out over one attached to someone's skull is ridiculous.

The worst part is that they could not possibly even pretend that they didn't know he was wearing it for medical reasons. They all read the doctor's note and then contemplated it before they started to attack him.

13. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

We're getting a very one sided story here though. It strikes me as particularly odd how we get next to no verbal quotes from the assailants despite them apparently having had some degree of conversation with him before this attack, plus between themselves. The whole unprovoked nature of this is so bizarre it makes me feel something is being omitted because it really just doesn't add up.

14. Lead Ball Straight Male
    IGN: Arrg
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 192
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Century (leader)
    Alliance: Foreigner
    Texas

Reading the blog, it sounded more like they were trying to steal his glasses because they thought he had a prototype of google glass.

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

But would they really try to steal something like that in public, with witnesses, and at the place they work? Plus they were wearing the uniform. It doesn't sound like a theft to me, unless they are EXTREMELY stupid.

16. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

It's not entirely clear, but I think this might be because his French isn't very good. It does say he's from Ontario so I doubt it's his native language which would make it very difficult to follow the conversation while being physically assaulted

It is inexplicable why they would choose to assault this man. Who attacks the physically handicapped for no reason?

17. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

If I'm understanding this right the guy is blind/vision impaired in some way?

I can't think of a reason 3 employees would team up to beat the guy and try to remove his glasses. There's probably some missing pieces to the story.

18. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Rather interesting comment on the article:

19. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

I agree. It seems like a little bit of something is missing somewhere.

I almost wonder if McDonald's employees wanted to steal the glasses and sell them for a profit? I'm having a hard time understanding why this would happen in this way.

20. Default Re: Cybernetic Hate Crime?

That already happens...

This would explain a lot except they read the doctor's letter. So odd.