Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

I hate to go a bit off topic here but since its an MMORPG
    Why not Nexon having Community Managers in game to be like a moderator of sorts?
    This can be like Final Fantasy Tactics where Judges would appear and determine whos hacking/cheating/botting and they can tag these people. Turning their name into glowing RED, as a warning so people can stay away from. Tagging them red will Flag these users so GM can look it up in a database search for "flagged" cheaters.
    Its a bit far-fetched idea but having moderators in game will beefen up the stance against hackers.

2. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

They had the 'Maple Watch Leaf Brigade' (who was in charge of naming this, seriously, what the pineapple) a while ago which consisted of a group of ordinary players that volunteered to help look for people that were cheating, they had no power aside from hide skills and a special hat and a beefed up report function though as far as I know. No idea what happened to them, I assume the project was abandoned a long time ago though.

3. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

Or they could just not play anymore.

4. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

I remember seeing a few in Henesys channel 1, and all they did was summon mobs.

5. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

sigh thats unfortunate maybe it was power abuse
    its not asking much just a tag/flag on these characters
    maybe i'll post this idea on the nexon forums to get some light shone on this idea

6. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

My advice:

Do NOT post ANYTHING about hacking on the Nexon forums itself, the thread will get closed and you even risk of getting your account banned (from the forums).

Think about it before you act! ;)

7. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

great
    i will take no actions then, watever

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

No power abuse. It was an event.
    They had no power and the whole thing was set up so poorly it never went anywhere.

It might be that if the new Nexon, with more GMs, recreated something like that, it could work.

9. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

anyone saved the old MWLB manual when it was leaked? it pretty much made them pwerless GM's, they could do nothing but jot down names and make videos showing why they hacked, which then they had to send to nexon for any action to happen

10. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

The MWLB was a step in the right direction, but I guess Nexon didn't know where to go from there and scrapped the idea. Back then you didn't see people running through henesys using Dojo/PyPQ skills.
    Wish there was a system sorta like Player moderators in Runescape, where the reports they make are first in any reports GMs see, and they can mute players for up to 48 hours (Following a report, the ban would be lifted when a Jagex-Moderator saw the report, then further actions would be decided.) Only problem with this would be trust issues and the selection process for them.

Also adding that Player moderators in Runescape weren't used to hunt for Hackers, because hackers don't usually exist in RS, Just mainly people who bot the game. I have no idea how they deal with botters, but with other rule breakers, they just sent reports and were dealt with almost immediately.

11. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

The problem with player moderators is that they aren't really impartial. You can tell a GM "Ban players using no-cooldown" hacks, and they'll (hopefully) do it impartially. Players in Maplestory tend to hold egregious grudges. I mean, sure there are a few players mature and impartial enough to deal with things like that, but how does Nexon go about selecting them? The same was RS does? If you don't get the right people, then the GM's are going to be swamped with reports, and despite their efforts in handling tickets recently, I don't picture that moving along well enough.

And even then, you'd need player mods everywhere and at all hours of the day. I mean, there are obvious places like LHC, Aliens, and Jesters, but I run into hackers at the oddest places (Lunar Pixies?). And you know, they're not as much of a bother, since they aren't in populated areas, but still.

Have Nexon take the XKCD approach. Pay ~20 college kids three bucks (in Maple Points or whatever) an hour and give them a Hyper Teleport Rock and get them to police every map in the game. That'll end well.

12. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

They have an in-game reporting system. They just need to improve it a little.

- when a report is received, teleport to the hacker in question with minimal effort by the GM (this step requires having ingame GMs. Private servers can do it, why not GMS?)
    - if the report is validated and someone gets banned, give the player more reports per day and a gold star
    - if the report can't be checked because the hacker is online, let the player report again that day
    - if the report is wrong, give the player a black star

Then they can prioritize people who report accurately, by sorting new reports on # of gold stars, and potentially ignoring people with black stars completely.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

IIRC, people who were selected for the MWLB were sent to servers they've never played on.

14. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

That doesn't typically change the type of people they are.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Yes, but you can't exactly have a grudge on people you've never met before.

16. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

...I've seen Maplers manage it.

17. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

Here's a hint - It is.

Why use a familiar to hack when you can just use teleport? Pssh...

18. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

They can't even ban someone properly, what makes you think they will sue? Unless they are loosing money from this somehow... which they aren't really... besides the people who buy mesos from "hackersitehere" or items from their market sections... I mean technically they aren't spending it on NX but one could argue that they didn't plan on it in the first place, whether they came to "hackersite" or not.

They used up their allocated "lawsuit fund" on private servers anyways. What a great service they've done to us!

Sorry for the double post :(

19. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

It's not really a supply and demand thing. There isn't really a "demand" for hacks. There isn't a hacking request forum (other than Ba-oops was that my outdoor voice?). Hacks come and hacks go. Sure there are people who hack for money, or to be level 200, or to make a UA, but some hackers just hack to exploit the game (ironic if you think about it). I really don't see hackers being enough of a problem for Nexon to actively hunt them down - witch hunts don't usually end well.

Nor is Nexon likely to sue them. They have better things to do, like screw me out of making permanent CS outfits for Phantom.

Edit: This is phrased badly. Sure there is a demand for hacks. But not in terms of "supply and demand". Hacking MapleStory is not a competitive market. Hacker's aren't paying for it, and not (usually) profiting from it. The laws of supply and demand don't work in non-competitive markets.

20. Default Re: Khaini LHC - Fully taken over by hackers

And this is where oldschool training comes in handy. Get 4 more people + HS mule and split your map ala oldschool. Considering today's powerlevels maybe just 2 people + hs mule.

The reports system should work like this: Each report sums up for a character as an alarm point, the more reports, the more points. Characters with the most points get investigated by GM's, if any evidence is found that they hack, ban them. As simple as that. Even if one is not online at the time, they can check their exp gain record to see if they've got more exp or mesos than it's possible through normal means.

If Reports worked like that, there would be no need to limit them.