IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Default ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

inb4 neither answers.

I decided to make at least 1 of each adventurer (Cept Archers, pineapple archers :D), and im waiting on the pirate revamp to make a pirate (+Cannoner release again to make one and get the pirate card+adventurer S set at least), so my next logical choice would be a mage, i won't make a bishop because they are a bore fest to me so its either I/L or F/P. And now heres the gold question, What are the pro/con of those 2 mage classes?

A simple list would suffice after that i will use my criteria to make a decision.

2. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

I like Fire poison mages more than I/L for some reason. F/Pis cool because Poison and fire :D (lol j/k DoT is their strong point and all mages do lots of hits/cast.)

I believe it's DPS vs DoT (I/L v. F/P)m though common con is that people think Mages are stupid and suck at bossing, so squad probably won't take you anywhere. I/L incapacitates lots of stuff versus F/P kills things straugt up Plus misting the entire map is always fun (back int he day they could mist an entire map, CC, mist another map, then CC back to the 1st channel, explode everything, CC to 2nd channel, explode). Plus now F/P mages can explode their poison mist.

3. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

In terms of bossing they are pretty close, though after a certain damage range F/P loses because of the damage cap. F/P is more engaging as you have to apply skills periodically to keep maximize damage done. I/L if you are looking for an easy time and would rather hold down a button. I'd suggest watching some videos.

4. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

I/L pros and cons:

pros/advantages over F/P:
    1. Crazy vertical and horizontal range with CL (very good for hitting multiple platforms at bearwolves and very good at zakum/czakum/ht/cht), CL has 20% crit (F/P's paralyze does not)
    2. In GMS, CL currently hits 6 times to Para's 4 times (this will change with an upcoming update, when para will start hitting 6 times too like it is now in KMS)
    3. (GMS) When Glacial Chain (IL) and Mist Eruption (FP) both do max damage, GC will be doing ~12m damage every ~10 seconds, while ME will only be doing ~6m damage every ~10 seconds. After the latest updates in KMS, ME was changed to hit 8 times from 6, so even when this comes to GMS, IL AMs still have a 4 mil damage advantage
    4. (KMS) IL AMs start to overtake FPs with an average range of ~54k (can someone like @JoeTang confirm this?). However, there may be a catch with this that I'll elude to later.
    5. CL gives you 88 casts per minute (with booster), while Para gives 84 (with booster).

cons/disadvantages over F/P:
    1. Crappy/limited DoT.
    2. Less variety in attack skills, more spamming. (Whether this is a pro or con can be arguable though since it's a matter of preference).
    3. If you're not very funded, F/P wins in DPM due to ME's ability to easily hit cap. So in the earlier levels of 4th job, F/P will usually outdo I/L in damage by far.

F/P pros and cons:

pros/advantages over I/L:
    1. Unique way of attacking (DoT skills), DoT damage is huge compared to ILs' DoT, DoT ignores 100% of PDR - a huge advantage at bosses with high PDR (I presume this may come into play even when I/L has higher than 54k range - so that's the catch).
    2. DoT has no cap.
    3. Even with low funding, Mist Eruption can have the capability to hit max damage, so this is a perfect class for low-funded players trying to do the most damage with the worst equips.

cons/disadvantages over I/L:
    1. (GMS) With moderate-to-high-funding, CL (6 hits) > Para (4 hits) in damage, crit, and range capability. In KMS, however, they are pretty close to each other in overall effectiveness since Para has 6 hits.
    2. In high funding, GC (~12 mil) every 10 seconds, outdoes ME (~6 mil every 10 seconds (GMS), ~8 mil every ten seconds (KMS)).
    3. If you're very funded (at least 54k TBD), I/L wins in DPM.

Conclusion: they are generally very close to each other in terms of DPM but different in playing styles, yet both can be fun.
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2012-07-12 at 08:23 AM.

5. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

I see, i may incline on the F/P way due to already having so many "Keep Pressing the Skill key to win" characters.

6. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

Just make an Evan, you have fire and ice.

7. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

NO fudging idiotic characters with separate Cash Shop inventory:

8. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

Okay then...
    Go with F/P if you don't like holding down one skill key forever.

9. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

Glacier Chain and Ice Demon (unless you're hitting max damage). F/P does have a lot more diversity, but people saying I/L only spam CL is a major pet peeve of mine.

10. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

Same. I've been playing an I/L for years, and I still have fun training him.

11. Default Re: ...Be making an Ice/Lightning or Fire/Poison mage?

I'm curious where you got this number. My last investigation into this came out with 54k average range, but I'm not 100% confident in the results. I'll try to investigate this more, but no promises on results, since the last time I said it, I ended up not doing anything.

12. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

I got it from your own thread. Thanks.