View Poll Results: Do you try to play as "legit" as possible?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I try to play legit to the fullest. I even stay away from duped gear/scrolls as much as I can.

60 78.95%
  • I try to be, but I cannot resist the duped items.

9 11.84%
  • I do not hack and I am against hacking unless it benefits me somehow (duped/hacked gear).

5 6.58%
  • don't care for the legit at all. Let the hackers hack. Don't care if it is bad for the game

4 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Post Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

And by legit I mean, don't buy/sell NX, avoid hacked gear at all costs, avoid anything that's obviously duped, don't share account info even with people you know and trust completely, avoid 'glitched' maps and avoid/resist benefiting hackers in any way, and avoid taking advantage of glitches/etc (including the now-defunct glitched decent skills). I know one aspect of that, "avoid anything duped" is hard to avoid, but I've stayed my course and stuck with my principles. For instance, I've always dreamed of obtaining an ele staff 5/6, but duped ones being available for like 10k NX at some point (when MTS was still around) did not sway me to get one because it would ruin my sense of diligence and is just wrong because it benefits those whose ultimate agenda is obviously ruining the game, regardless of what their "intentions" are. So I've stuck with my second-rate but unduped ele wand 6, putting a ton of effort into it, spending a tiny fortune to make it as great as it could be without the bells and whistles of scrolling anything duped on it (think 100+ cubes and 50% weapon scrolls I am quite certain were not duped, 5/9 worked and a few pam's songs were involved). Anyone else out there like me?

I guess a more intricate question is whether it makes sense for me personally to stop being so righteous and start capitalizing on things like duped gear since it's become such a common part of the game, and start using that cliche of "everyone does it so why shouldn't I". I mean, Nexon has not done enough to stop this since things like duped and EE hacked gear are still all over the place. While duping is not easily possible anymore, things like item generation are still popping up. If nothing extensive to fix it has been done for this long and new problems keep arising, it seems like anyone who doesn't capitalize on it is some kind of "sucker" even if being that sucker means you are strongly against the sabotage of the game by less than stellar individuals. This is where I'm a bit torn.

edit: Also, the first poll choice should include "never bought/made glitched decent skills".
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2012-07-10 at 09:41 AM.

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

item generation has been corrected already, the game seems to be healing.

ultimately, it's up to you, how much do you want to "give up"? no, you're not the only one who plays like that, there's others, and that's fine. i know one that plays that way and without NX too, so go figure, may not be the strongest mapler, but he sure stands by his beliefs.

as do i and a lot others, each to varying degrees.

3. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

As long as you suffer for it, and you only work with the means nexon gave to you, its fair game. Also avoid obvious code errors like glitches and abusers that modify the game in ways not meant to be. Stuff gain by those means is also a no-no. At least thats sort or less how i play my game. (Nx is fair game if you are stupid enough to buy it, or smart enough to gain it)

(AkA making like 26 mules in 5 different accounts to get Clean slate scrolls every 3/7/12 days or so at the risk of your own mental sanity...)

4. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I don't have the money to get any hacked items in the FM anyway :D That's how I stay legit :P Being poor as dirt AND take advantage of all the free stuff! I Guess I don't take this game as seriously as a lot of people. I play this to explore the world and kill stuff as opposed to get as much money and damage as possible. Really you just have to be content with the "legit"-ness of your stance and stick to it and not let other people bother you. Screw capitalizing on stuff. Though if I was any good at it, I'd try to screw with the market as a project for an econ class or something. That would be hilarious xD

5. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Non of your choices suits me.
    That being said, hackers pervade every aspect of maplestory. Whether you are buying scrolls at a low price or at a high price or purchasing a godly empress item or godly items either way you are supporting them still somehow.
    There is really no way around it.
    No one is "truely" legit.
    In the discussion of a 38 att VSS whether or not its legit. It can be simply said in the arguement of "hey I really made at 38 attack VSS w/o duped scrolls or hacking!!" VS. "I totally duped scrolls and i used it to make a VSS"
    Can you really blame the legit person for legitimately making it?
    The line between hacking and non hacking in maplestory is a thin one. The only major difference between both groups is when one decides to crash servers and dupe or bot all day (ex. LHC BaM/Evan full map killing while selling leech)

6. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

well I try to be.
    I have never bought duped items or generated stuff, only thing I bought from MTS was attack gloves

everything I have is self scrolled and cubed/collected. <= is what I want to do, and not buying suspicious items is the result of that

I did get involved with LHC glitched parties but that was from maybe 120-140 then I got bored of it and did other things
    hackers will always be around though.

7. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

About the item generation, I guess you're right, but the point is that even with this new and improved Nexon, it seems like new ways of making items through hacking seem to still come regardless of how it gets "fixed". Just seems like nothing much is being done about it, or it's done months/years late after all the damage has been done.

It's comforting that I'm not the only one with the mindset I have.

I understand that regardless of what happens hackers are benefiting in one way or another off of everyone else. But benefiting them directly, through knowingly buying duped items, is far more damaging than, say, buying a second-rate duped 60% attack scroll and it not being obvious at all that it was duped (when in fact it was), as an example.

Imo, your assertion about the 38 attack shoes is non-sensical. Anyone with common sense knows that item was either duped or made with duped scrolls, especially if it has the "DOTCurrency" or w/e item tag on it. Another thing is that 10% shoes attack scrolls without being duped would be EXTREMELY rare, so there's no way any shoes with 27+ attack are completely made without the use of duped scrolls, and this is ignoring the duped protect scrolls and/or hacks that were made to perfect that item. 38 attack VSS still being around is just a shame on Nexon.

8. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Yep thats definitely true. Anything with DOTCurrencyz/ItsMojito is a duped/hacked items. Anyone that is buying such items is propagating the effects of supporting hackers in this game. I am not saying buying it is what makes a person legit. I am saying it can be made if person invests lots of time and money into buying the scrolls necessary. Of course that would be insanely expensive.

9. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Fact is, it cannot be made legitly any which way you slice it, regardless of amount of money/time spent on making it. If it ain't duped it's made with something that is. And that's grounds enough for Nexon to either remove it from the game or make it untradeable (perhaps the most plausible solution would be to make it moveable within account only or something to that effect).

10. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I say do what they did with the rest of em, Replace em with clean VSS.

11. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Didn't know that's what they did to the rest of them, but I totally agree.

12. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

actually they did do that to many of the VSS and hacked gear
    they were replaced with clean versions
    take for example those cravens and stonetooths

13. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Yes, but I did once stay on a glitched LHC map during 2x because everything else was full. That's it.
    I was surprised the first time I heard about NX buying, since last I checked, it was against the ToS.

14. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I wouldn't let the stupidity of the community get to you. You should take pride in the fact that you essentially don't cheat. Being someone who plays the game how it should have been for all these years is a good thing. It's unlikely you'll be setting any standards of course, mostly because "NUMBAHS > ALL," but it's not the point.

I'm happy to say that I'm in the same boat as you, except for the portion about not doing anything that benefits hackers. Unfortunately in Keyaki that's quite impossible, because if I want to ever see any scrolls, mastery books, or other rare drops that I want, it's Vaccers or nothing.

Still, I wouldn't let any of the morons in the community bother you. Shrug them off, knowing you're playing the game correctly. Hard to say an MMO can be played correctly, but in this instance it's true.

Maybe one day everything will be fixed (HAH). If that ever happens, you won't have any adjusting to do, unlike everyone else.

15. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I play in a very similar way and I enjoy the game a lot, every little accomplish feels really good and you always see ways to improve your character; I don't see myself enjoying the game if what I have was not the product of my own effort. It really depends on how you feel about what you're doing, if you're enjoying the game the way you're playing it then you shouldn't change it even when the player base play differently, after all we all play to have fun.

16. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I don't really care as I have semi quit already anyways, so maybe I'm not exactly entitled to a opinion. But it should be a good lesson for them to change many of the game's features to server sided like many other games. I'm already sick of how they keep letting things happen just because they allow so many part of the game to be client sided.

17. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

The only "non-legit" thing I did was sell NX and it earned me around 300m. And the only NX stuffs I'm buying are permanent pets and equips (permanent cash items are especially special to me because I came from MapleSEA where there was nothing permanent, and I have high delay and I need the pet looting items to help me loot faster) and the permanent hyper teleport rock (I got too addicted using the free one from the world alliance). Other than that, I don't intend on selling anymore NX. I don't buy any cubes at all because I'm afraid I get hooked on them and spend too much money. I just try to get % stat items by crafting pre-potted items.

18. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I try to be as legit as I can be.
    I stay as far away from duped gear as I can, but duped scrolls there's not a lot I can do about. Although, there's a lot less duped scrolls around than there used to be and WS have gone up in price way too much for the things I'd use them for so I haven't touched any duped scrolls in a while, at least not since I used Protection Scrolls on my Staff and that was a about 2 months ago I think.
    I did MTS 10 attack WGs which were probably duped, but again there's not a lot I can about that either.
    I also stay away from boosted maps as much as I can but with the server merge they seem to be a lot more common.
    I do buy NX with mesos but since I refuse to spend real money on it and with the removal on the MTS there's no other way I can get my hands on some.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

I'm guilty of boosted maps and duped gear / scrolls, that's it.

20. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

Your poll needed a, I try to be as legit as possible excluding boosted maps, because that's me