View Poll Results: Do you try to play as "legit" as possible?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I try to play legit to the fullest. I even stay away from duped gear/scrolls as much as I can.

60 78.95%
  • I try to be, but I cannot resist the duped items.

9 11.84%
  • I do not hack and I am against hacking unless it benefits me somehow (duped/hacked gear).

5 6.58%
  • don't care for the legit at all. Let the hackers hack. Don't care if it is bad for the game

4 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

the complaints weren't in the form of a notice, it was supposed complaints on the forum, most likely from people who either
    a) thought it was unfair(either by being lazy to farm themselves or unfair that a player shouldnt have it)
    b) were merchants who hoarded 50% weapon scrolls from the previous events/2h watk 50%

how the forum mods handled it, it originally sounded as if the scrolls were intentional until these so called "complaints" started popping up

2. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I'm somewhat intrigued by this moral decision.

Anyway, while I choose to abstain from voting, I'll tell you my major offenses are my duped VSS (14% All Stats, so there's really no chance of me giving them up, I mean, if they get deleted, it's pretty much whatever, since I knew it would happen eventually), and my use of other duped items (GM scrolls, white scrolls, protection scrolls, confusion fragments, etc), and my frequent use of glitched LHC maps.

Honestly, I don't care much about legitimacy, that isn't to say I go around hacking and ruining everyone else's fun just for my own enjoyment, I do tend to stay away from a lot of the major glitches and exploits and what not, and I have definitely not done any hacking.

However, I'm a bit peeved at how you keep throwing legitimacy around, from what I've seen, at least, because while you say you aren't trying to put yourself on a pedestal, it just seems to be a vehicle for you to look down on other players and persecute them. It's what's reflected by your poll options, while you may wish to change them, the first option is basically Super Ultra Mega Legit, and everything else is pretty much has a rather huge negative slant to it. There might as well only be two options (or three, rather, the first, the middle two as one, and the last one). Hell, even the title of the thread is pretty bad, because you single yourself out and question if there's anyone else like you. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm just pointing out what I see, and I apologize if this offends you.

Personally, my philosophy is, you know you, your morals, feelings, whatever, and ultimately, you know what is right for you, so you shouldn't be so concerned with how others see you. If you know you're playing legitimately, there's no reason to flaunt it, people rarely ever get recognized for just doing what they're supposed to, nor do I see a reason in pointing out the wrongs other people have done. Take pride in that and not in how, comparatively, you're a saint among sinners.

And, though this line has been said to death, it is just a game, and it's definitely not the right battlefield to be waging a war of morals, so just have fun with it.

3. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Perhaps I should've changed "cannot resist" to "could not resist". And not being able to resist something doesn't necessarily mean frequent and large, it could just as easily mean that someone "have hardly ever smoked, but could not resist smoking just 1 cigarette last year, or smoking just one per month". That's what I meant by it when it comes to this. It also sucks imo that only a small amount of characters are allowed for each poll choice (enough for maybe 1.5 sentences). Perhaps I'll have to make a new thread, with a new poll, with multi-selectable options.

Preposterous. Why would hackers dupe crappy scrolls no one needs? If you've got common sense enough to distinguish what's obviously duped and what isn't, buying what's not so obviously duped doesn't make you illegit. I've always hated this "everyone's in the same boat whether they realize or not" argument.

Nope, not offended. But I disagree in many ways.

"If you know you're playing legitimately, there's no reason to flaunt it" -and what's so wrong with that? Especially with the sad mentality to "get stronger any which way you can" of the community. Why shouldn't we strive to fix this mentality, even if we have adopted it ourselves, regardless of what Nexon does or doesn't do? The buyers of duped items and scrolls are perpetrating this skewed view of the game. Fun is to each their own, but when that fun is bad for the whole, it must be called out as such.

If it's just a game, what about the real money being spent on it? Is that just money? How was it right for that money to lose it's value when everything can be replaced by a godlier sexier duped and/or hacked version of itself, and how is it right to justify taking advantage of that in the name of "fun"? This selfish fun is not fun for everyone else.

I'm peeved that people can equate the legitimacy of conscientiously choosing to stay completely clear of obviously duped items (including scrolls) from the get-go, to the "legitimacy" of choosing not to. One is a detriment to the game and money spent on it, while the other is not. The convenient ignorance of that seems to be evident in so many choosing option one here when they really should be choosing option two. It's simple as that.

"Personally, my philosophy is, you know you, your morals, feelings, whatever, and ultimately, you know what is right for you, so you shouldn't be so concerned with how others see you." -Well said, and true. I must reiterate though, that I made this thread out of curiosity and as a sort of "second opinion" of the views of what's right and wrong, so that I can see what the best kind of stance to take for myself is. These views seem to be too skewed and there's this "it's wrong but OK" attitude. Maybe it's OK because it's common, but that doesn't make it right. I was hoping that people here would take their heads out of their asses and understand all these things, instead of throwing one overused cliched excuse after another.

4. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Botted ,duped it all falls under the same thing supporting hackers which in nexon eyes is not legit kinda why you can be banned for looting from a botter a botter. In your case since when are 50% scrolls not duped? Try as you might no one who plays this game more then a week is legit in the true since of the word. We as a community have just deiced to make up new rules about it as we try to justify what each person does so we can safely say we are legit. Everyone here does it your rules about it just so happen to be the most strict

So I congratulate you on that.

5. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

50% scrolls are a heck of a lot more hard to tell if duped comparing to others (edit: like GMs), and exercising common sense is required (i.e. when you see a stack of 100 selling in a shop you can be sure it's duped/botted). And same goes for botted stuff. When, with the benefit of common sense, if you're not sure at all if something is botted, you should not be at fault for buying it.

Yes, none of us are legit in the true sense of the word, but generalizing it to such an absolute extent as black, white and no grey is ignorant and a bit too cynical.

6. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Well, I'm against flaunting in general, though I can't say there aren't times when I do it myself, it peeves me when botters and hackers go and say they were the first to kill a major boss or get to 200 on a new character, since they know they didn't accomplish that through legitimate means, at all. It makes no difference to me on what side you're on, it irks me, flaunting is just a means for you to boast superiority over someone else, whether it's "I'm better than you because I do 999,999 x 100 every second" or "Ugh, I can't believe you don't follow the rules like I do". I have to place part of the blame for the damage-oriented mentality on the design of the game though, with time limits and damage reductions, in the end it's a game of doing as much damage as you can.

Yeah, real money is spent on this game, but you do pay for other games, consoles, etc, and that doesn't make them not games. While paying for games used to be a one-time thing, the advent of DLC has made spending on games more similar to Maple. Sure, there probably isn't much destructive potential, I guess, in paying for DLC, but there wasn't much harm in buying NX initially, just for clothes and what not. While you can go and profit off Maple, or lose everything, that doesn't change that it is, in fact, still just a game.

I don't see a problem with them choosing option one, simply because they have different views on legitimacy than you do. People answer polls based on how they feel, not how the poll taker wants them to feel, after all. Though, I take back what I said about your option one earlier, it's more gray than Super Ultra Mega Legit. The keywords are "try to play legit", and "stay away from duped gear/scrolls as much as I can". As long as they see their negative actions as little blemishes rather than large stains, it still applies to them, in my eyes, and their eyes as well. You can't blame them for categorizing themselves as this, despite it not being exactly how you might feel.

It seems to me, you already know the stance you want to take, especially if your view hasn't changed from these responses. Understanding and acceptance aren't necessarily the same, I agree that okay and right aren't the same things, but I also think if it's viewed as okay or acceptable, then I'm not gonna bite someone's head off for wanting to do it, and if it were bad enough, I would try to convince them to do otherwise, but ultimately it's their choice. It's not that people don't understand this difference, between okay and right, but they choose okay rather than right, and just because they understand that doesn't mean they're willing to accept your viewpoint, you know.

I admire your strong feelings toward this, in contrast to the apathy that I've developed for these things.

Also, a massive amount of 60% weapon scrolls were introduced into the market a year or two ago, enough to devalue many of them, and making stacks of hundreds of 60% scrolls common in FM shops, by means of some exploit with Jr. Balrog summoning sacks, I don't know if you would consider them crappy, or not, but there's something, they're not duped, exactly, but they were exploited.

7. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

So stop saying that you are you either are or you aren't there isn't a middle ground. The middle ground or grey area whatever your trying to defend is the justifications you are trying to make for yourself it's not necessary what the people who you know, made the rules has said. So yes it is quite black and white as to what is legit and what is not.

Your calling what I'm saying ignorant then please by all means inform me of what you all call yourselves. All I keep hearing is "I'm legit but I do X" I consider Y not legit but Z is fine as long as your not using W to do it. So until then we only have the legit and not legit buttons. And no, the middle ground option doesn't work because everyone has their own little definition of what that middle ground is

8. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I'm against flaunting in general as well, unless you're flaunting something that you've accomplished with actual effort, diligence, and hard work (unlike what hackers flaunt). But even then, flaunting it too much is bad.

Well yeah, but in a game like maple, individuals are highly affected by what others do (part of the destructive potential you mention). I have never lost sight of that.

Yep, I should've made that option more Super Ultra Mega Legit by not mentioning the vague parts. But then again, option two, while I now understand wasn't completely clear either, is clear enough to let them know there's a difference. That difference being: taking advantage of dupe items large or small.

I appreciate that you see things from my point of view, I kind of see things from yours as well. I guess I should be a bit more apathetic about this than I am to take off some of the pressure I put on myself to do what's "right".
    While I'd still consider them crappy, it does complicate things a bit for those like myself.

I don't deny anything you've said here. But from my perspective, what you seemed to be arguing for is something such as "a hacker is just as illegit as someone who unknowingly bought 1 duped scroll by accident". The brazenness of such a view is what I think is ignorant.

9. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

In the snese of legit or not legit yes they both are. Think of it like this say GM decided to ban and get rid of anyone breaking the rules what kind of ban do you think you would get a 10 day, 30 day, 60 day 90, permanent or a ban for a few hours?

10. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

But we don't have the same sense of decision-making as robots, so there's no point to designate this comparison as such of black and white. Things have layers and levels. As a GM, you'd have to think rationally/reasonably/logically before deciding when/if/how to ban.

11. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Thats wheres the hour bans 10 day 30 day 90 day bans come in. Think of it like different crimes which do you get more time(if any at all): for robbing a bank or stealing a pack of gum from a store? In terms of legit or not legit it is black and white HOW bad is where the grey area comes in.

12. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

..and the "how bad" has a definite influence on how 'illegit' someone is. Thus no point to think of it as just black or white. Since everyone's technically 'not legit', there needs to be a way of determining just how "unlegit" they are. And not all people are equally "unlegit" comparing to one another.

13. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I know thing is we have like 50 different ways to define and each person has there on list of what goes into those 50 different ways we define it. We need an actual way of defining it that everyone agrees on just as everyone agrees that for example using BT or something similar is not legit.

14. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

While people will have their own views and own biases, I think that list isn't that hard to make with being as objective as possible (and as long as you're sane, not an idiot, and not a hacker or a hacker-lover).

15. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

My exception is 4th job Mastery Books.

I know the majority of mastery books are duped or botted.

I also know that in the time since they created the hidden mastery book system, I've found less than 10 of them via drops, and I have multiple 17x characters.

I haven't stopped buying them, because this part of the game was designed broken.

Aside from that I think I'm using legit gear. (which is possibly why I can't just solo HT to get more)

16. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

They were fairly easy to obtain from Horntail (1-3 books per run usually) but post-Renegades they barely drop at all. I had a stack of 200 mystery books I'd collected from Horntail over the past few months and had actually sold quite a lot of them as well.

Now that the only somewhat viable method to farming them legitimately is gone though, I struggle to see how anyone can get enough mystery books to get all the books they require 'legitimately'. The entire mastery book system is completely stupid.

17. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I can't afford pomegranate, so the only stuff I use is the stuff I get from drops, quests and events.

18. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

Same here, but add stuff I've crafted. Also, still using the Reverse gear you helped me with.

19. Default Re: Am I the only one who tries to play as "legit" as possible?

I play to have fun and don't want to get caught in the drama of "legit and not legit" and all that bullpomegranate. I don't find that fun where I crucify people for not being as legit as someone else. Unless it's something serious, life is too short to waste time on walls of text about someone who trained on a glitched map and write essays and debate for hours why that person "is legit and is not legit"

20. Proton Gay Male
    IGN: Ferons
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Chrono
    Alliance: Nocturnal
    Farm: Kansas
    canada

Direct hacking is against my own will for a game that made my high school year a breeze.

On the other hand, glitched maps and Protection Scroll dupes (earlier on this year) are too attractive to resist. I didn't know buying NX was illegal, bleh.