Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassandra Lag

1. Default Cassandra Lag

Sarah had asked me if I could find any cause for why cassandra would generate massive amounts of lag for the player. I looked in the WZ files and could find a reasonable cause.

Inside the data for Cassandra it contains what all other NPC data contains - a stand animation and perhaps a few quest-specific animations. However, Cassandra is different from other NPCs. Her stand animation changes depending upon what the current date is. So, every time when her stand animation is loaded the entire file must be read (which is quite large for an NPC - larger than most NPCs) and the current date must be checked against all of the dates given for her conditional stand animations, and then it chooses/displays an animation. This would be likely to happen every time one of Cassandra's animations finishes or, if their programming is absolutely terrible, every time an image is loaded.

I can see how this would cause lag, especially on not so up-to-date computers. So for those who are experiencing lag around Cassandra, please tell Nexon to remove the conditional animations and to change her typical stand/eye animations only when it's necessary and not based upon a date system.

EDIT: It looks like Gaga suffers from the same conditional animations as well. He should be fixed.

2. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

It's almost as though Nexon enjoys making things harder for customers, AND themselves. I swear. *head desk*

Luckily Cassandra doesn't make me lag at all....just those pineappleing mounts.

3. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

Pleaseee let Nexon know.

It would be so nice to be able to, y'know, walk in town without wanting to throw my computer off the balcony.

4. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

I really hope this is fixed. It sucks that they haven't even acknowledged the issue. I've had this problem since the Resistance patch.

5. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

It seems that aquaroad is the only 'safe' town because they put Gaga/Cassandra in a seperate map.

6. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Default Re: Cassandra Lag

So removing or fixing Cassandra and Gaga would fix town lag?

7. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

When I said "please let Nexon know" I was asking everyone else, not Fiel.

Anyone who can post on their forums should, in their Bug / Glitch forum. I am still incapable of posting... lol.

8. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

That sounds like REALLY inefficient coding, or am I missing something?

9. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

Will do. Done.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/Communit...%23post3513478

10. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

No, checking the date and then scanning the file for animations every second (length of typical animation) is very inefficient.

11. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

<Fiel> it would be ridiculously simple to fix. Just cache which animation was chosen for the given NPCID so it stops getting checked over and over again.
    <Fiel> that way you'd only lag the first time you see him/her, not every time

Can add that too as a suggested solution (though I doubt Nexon will happily apply it)

AND NOW... WE PRAY. Pray-to-play.

12. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

@Fiel; is this a GMS invention? Like, I would've thought this was copy-paste from KMS and the issue would've already come up there & have been resolved by the time we got it. Then again...

@Sarah; I updated the forum post with that addition.

13. Helium Atom Male
    IGN: UhWut
    Server: Windia
    Level: 241
    Guild: SquishyNoobs
    Alliance: Wings
    Virginia

Oh my God. Please let this be heard everywhere... when I walk into a town I basically just freeze up in the center of the town (where they are usually bunched up with other useless NPCs) and I have to CTRL+Shift+Esc and exit Maple and hope to god that I can respawn next to a god-damn portal or the sides of the map to get out of there. I don't feel like buying a new computer just for Maple... ;_;

14. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

@Fiel;
    Do you happen to know what the problem with the storage is too? Either doesn't pop up or says you need to catch your breath ..?

15. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

It seems to me that if you alter the contents of your storage, there is a varying "cooldown" of sorts until you can access it again.
    Last edited by Phoenix Wright; 2012-07-03 at 07:01 PM. Reason: woo redundancy

16. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

MapleStory is using around 600k of memory for me. Is this, uh, normal?

17. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

I really doubt they check their bugs forum. A ticket would probably get their attention more quickly, as they seem to actually be dedicating some time in checking those.

18. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

Yes.

Started it 2 hours ago, trained a bit on my Jett... and that's about it. Visited Ludi a couple times.

19. Default Re: Cassandra Lag

My Memory is at about 730k, and that's right after relogging.