Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

smarticle particle
    no such thing
    its just people trying to debunk religion

2. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Thank you for your wonderful opinion which has no relevance at all to the thread or anything to do with the Higgs Boson in the slightest. Truely your mighty opinion will be remebered for all time over the cold hard scientific facts!

Unless you're being sarcastic, which I hope you are.

3. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Do you have something against religion?

4. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

What does religon have to do with this thread barring a ridiculous name given by media outlets to grab attention?

5. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

6. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

I've been told not to feed your trolling, but calling it ridiculous because it relates to religion?

7. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Ok then, go on, please justify giving a force mediating particle the name the God particle (For that matter, how is that less offensive than thinking it shouldn't be implied to be godlike?). Since I'm apparently trolling, there surely must be a good reason for it no? I mean, sure, the gluons (Holds the nuclei together!), photons (comes from the greek word for light) and weak bosons (Because the force is much much weaker than The strong and Electromagnetic forces) all have names that are completely logical,but hey.

And this is the last post I'm going to make in this thread about naming conventions, if we must have this argument, feel free to join me in PMs.

If anyone has an actual question about particle physics, this thread might get somewhere again.

8. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Double posting, but the Higgs has been found to the 5 Sigma level to have a mass of 126.5 GeV.

9. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Come on Fiel post it a third time I need to watch it again!
    Last edited by Stereo; 2012-07-04 at 04:29 AM. Reason: holy crap quoting it put a third copy in my post. Nevermind.

10. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

are you high? The person he quoted made a completely idiotic post, and I agree that I hope he is being sarcastic thinking scientists are trying to prove the higgs because of religion....

11. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Very happy about that. But is that enough stdev to be considered "discovered" or is there still too much doubt?

12. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

This article says the Higgs Boson is 125.3 GeV +/- 0.6 GeV and that a different type of boson is 126.5 GeV, but it is possible that one particle gave both values.

13. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

this really isn't the best name to give a particle

14. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

5 standard deviations is the standard for declaring something discovered in particle physics (It's 99.99994% chance of being correct, give or take a 9), so this is offically found to within the standard that this will be accepted by the majority of physicists.

Oops on my part then. I'm sure the report I read ealier said the number I gave above. The official release doesn't have an exact number, but I'm sure that a technical paper will pop up on arxiv soon that will be more informative.

If they found a second particle, that would be quite interesting too.

I suppose it wouldn't be unprecedented for the Higgs field to have more than one Boson, since the Weak interaction already has 3 (W+, W- and Z), with slightly different masses.

15. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Does the Standard Model / SUSY allow for an additional boson? Does the math still work out?

16. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

As far as I'm aware, the math behind the basic Standard Model does not allow for more than one Higgs boson, it should have 0 Electrical Charge, 0 Colour Charge and no Spin. I assume the next step is going to be to verify whether these Bosons have those properties or not

If there are multiple Higgs Bosons, that would actually match a model with a (or multiple) Higgs Doublets (or triplets,etc) such as supersymmetric models. I couldn't even begin to guess which one of those models would be likely to come up if there is more than one Higgs, though I would imagine the MSSM (Minimal Super Symmetric Model) which predicts supersymmetric particles while keeping as much of the standard model as possible will be where they start looking to begin with.

17. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Thank you Mr. Lozmaster. You're truly an inspiration.

18. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Here's a good article on why people should stop calling it the "God Particle". Frankly, I think it's a stupid title.

http://io9.com/5923170/stop-calling-it-the-god-particle

19. Lead Ball Straight Male
    IGN: Arrg
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 192
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Century (leader)
    Alliance: Foreigner
    Texas

Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

Apparently the name "Higgs" is so long that it needs to be nicknamed "the god particle."

20. Default Re: Proof of "God Particle" Found

why are so many of you hung up on the friggin name? Who cares about what the media decided to call it? It's called the Higgs Boson

Here ya go