Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books to get

1. Default Books to get

I need books to download (for a Nook). I like most sci-fi, historical fiction, some history, and some fantasy. Currently reading Wolf Hall and Dune, if that gives you any frame of reference.

2. Default Re: Books to get

I thought the hunger games novels were pretty good.

3. Default Re: Books to get

Look up baen free Literary database

Baen publishing has a bunch of their scifi novels up for download for free

4. Default Re: Books to get

Read them, have hard copies of them all too.

Cool, I'll check this out.

5. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Books to get

If you have a lot of time to waste, i highly recommend A song of Ice and Fire. Starting with A Game of Thrones.
    I've only finished the second book out of a current total of 7, and it is so, so good. Each book was like 800 pages long but it didn't feel like a chore at all, it just makes you want to keep on reading.

It's really deep fantasy like Lord of the Rings. Starts off being about politics and by the second book there is magic and giants and werewolves and all sorts of crazy stuff. It's also very funny sometimes.

6. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Flashforward was a fun read.

You already have HG and I can only assume you've read HP, and the other series I read is probably a bit mature for you so I'll just say TRY FLASHFORWARD.

7. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Fantasy
    I'll second Razmos with Game of Thrones.
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Small Gods is my favorite. The later ones are better than the first few.
    Neil Gaimon's Neverwhere and Drinking Midnight Wine
    Pratchett and Gaimon: Good Omens (incredibly funny)
    Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame. The first three are amazing, especially if you like DnD, but the last few are pretty terrible.

Sci-fi
    Greggory Benford's Timescape and In the Ocean of Night are great hard Sci-fi books.
    Robert Heinlein has a lot of good books including Time Enough for Love and Stranger in a Strange Land.
    Will McIntosh's Soft Apocalypse
    Nevil Shute's On the Beach and A Town like Alice (both very depressing, but still very good)
    Dan Simmons' Hyperion, I've only read the first one but I here the sequels aren't as good.

Kameron Haley's God's War. Not sure how to categorize this one. It's bug punk (as opposed to steam punk) if that makes sense.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I could add more, but those are the really GOOD ones.

8. Default Re: Books to get

:o
    This is a goldmine. All books I haven't read except for Hyperion and Stranger in a Strange Land. Thank you!

What's the other series? I might wanna check it out. Flashforward looks pretty cool, I remember the TV show coming out. I'll get that.

Oh I already read up to Dance with Dragons. I should get that, thanks for reminding me.

9. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

The Sookie Stackhouse novels/Southern Vampire series. The books True Blood is based on. It's kinda supernatural/mystery/romance.

10. Default Re: Books to get

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series is pretty cool if you have some time on your hands. It's a seven book series that's kind of a mix of Western, Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I've only read two out of the seven so far but I'm finding them to be pretty awesome.

11. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

NP. I'm a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan and I read almost constantly so I'm always happy to share. If you didn't know already, B&N gives away a free Nook book every Friday. Some of them are a waste of virtual paper, but I was pleasantly surprised when a few were quite good. Hey, it's free anyway.

12. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

no love for mystery? :(

i don't read much, so i can only endorse the dune series

13. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Game of thrones.

@CrazyForDex;

14. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

There's an 8th book now too, called The Wind through the Keyhole, it's set between Wizards Glass (4th book) and Wolves of the Calla (5th book) and apparently bridges the gap between them so they make more sense. I'd highly recommend you get that one after reading the 4th book.
    I've been meaning to get it but keep forgetting haha.

Anyway yeah, i highly recommend the Dark Tower series, especially if you have read other works by Stephen King. Later on in the series all the books and seemingly independent stories start to mix together. So you are like "Holy crap, those are the monsters from The Mist!" "That's the destroyed world from The Stand!"

On a side note, i recommend any book by Stephen King.

And i agree with @Jon about the Sookie Stackhouse novels, brilliant pieces of work. I love the Louisiana culture and it just captures it really well.
    The romance isn't too overbearing and it's quite realistic, unlike a certain other vampire series which i will never mention. It can get quite actiony too, and sad.

Also, Pam is hilarious and i could read the entire series just for her jokes and one-liners, true story.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

- Seconding the recommendation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.
    - Robert Jordan, "The Wheel of Time" series (though I must admit I quit after book 6 of 12(?), I've seen people say it picks up again after that)
    - Steven Brust, the Vlad Taltos series (starts with "Jhereg", "Yendi", "Teckla")
    - David Brin, the Uplift series (SF, not Fantasy)
    - Vernor Vinge, "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky" (also SF)
    - Orson Scott Card, "The Tales of Alvin Maker" series.
    - Julian May, "Saga of the Exiles" (starts with "The Many-Coloured Land". SF that tastes like Fantasy, or maybe the other way 'round).
    - Anne McCaffrey, "The Dragonriders of Pern" series (starts with "Dragonflight", "Dragonquest" and "The White Dragon")

And of course the classics: Isaac Asimov, Larry Niven, the aforementioned Robert Heinlein, Piers Anthony if you're young enough to enjoy him, Robert Silverberg, Jack Vance, Fred Saberhagen, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Gordon R. plantainson.... ok, somebody stop me please.

Anyway, if you like SF, I recommend short-story collections. "Hall of Fame", "Best of the Year", that sort of thing. Especially for getting acquainted with older SF, but also with modern authors. Then you can get entire anthologies or decalogies of whichever author you like.

16. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I agree with Razmos and Takebacker. Game of Thrones all the way. Just finished Book 2 and can't wait to read the rest.

If you like fantasy, the Dresden Files are pretty similar to an adult Harry Potter. Really really great read.

17. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Airborn, Skybreaker, Starclimber. Fantastic books, IMO. An alternate reality in which airships are the main mode of transportation.

18. Default Re: Books to get

The Name of the Wind,
    The Wise Man's Fear.....both by Patrick Rothfuss.

19. Default Re: Books to get

sorry bro, my only forte is high fantasy, so unless you want a library full of magical politics, can't help ya.

Ah hell, everyone else is already doing it, I'll unload some of my favorite ones among those here.
    Song of Ice and Fire has already been mentioned (Game of Thrones is the first book, why you callin' the series Game of Thrones ;_;)
    Wheel of Time has already been mentioned, and it is my favorite series of all time; I've reread the entire series upwards of 5 times now, which may not sound like much, but it's 12 books at 1-1.5K pages in near magnifying glass font.
    Sword of Truth is good if you can get past past the pretentiousness. Other than a few of the speeches, it's fine, but it can get annoying when everything is so black and white in terms of good and evil. incredibly good storytelling, mediocre premise, basically. They balance each other out to form a decent series.
    Chronicles of Amber. GREAT storytelling, GREAT premise, great everything aside from a few very brief lowpoints in the storyline. Probably my second to third favorite series.
    The "trilogy trilogy" (3 books 3 times, he was originally going to do 3 books but too many details for that, so expanded each book to 3) by R. Scott Bakker. It's...interesting. I really like it, but it's not much like the rest of what I'm listing, it's more of a psychological fantasy; main character has the ability to manipulate people using emotions he gathers from their body language and facial expressions, and the author is almost disturbingly good at writing a story about it.
    His Dark Materials is always a good fallback if you are bored. Though even an atheist would get tired of how often god is demonized in it; I'm all for disliking the big guy, but man, every few pages angels are coming down to piss on the downtrodden and light orphanages on fire, so to speak.
    Otherland by Tad Williams is pretty good...actually, he has quite a few good series.

My opinion of you just went up 1000%, just so you know. I didn't even know anyone else had read those, that's awesome that someone else here has!

20. Default Re: Books to get

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter! or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! :D Same author, but the books were so much fun to read :P Kind of Historical fiction (lol)

Hunger Games is a decent story line to read too. Though it's more for the Tweens audience as per the usual and not really challenging.

I also think that Ender's Game is a really good sci fi series. And I second Asimov for Sci-Fi books. Such amazing books (like I, Robot!)

I've heard great things about Game of Thrones. I need to start reading it too to get in with the hype :x

YAY reading!