Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Starting this up after a talk with Maltheo (forgot your name in SP =P) on steam, didn't know more people here had played the 2012 version of this.

Impressions on 2013 so far:
    + Manual land tap is awesome for the multicolor decks, thanks god they added it.
    + Having an actual End Phase and Pre-Combat phase is really good, before you could always cast sorceries/creatures on the timer at the end of each main phase.
    + Decks have more customizability with 30 unlockables
    + Decks are more consistent with more 3-ofs and 4-ofs
    + The deck themes are refreshing and there's new cards with interesting mechanics
    + The Planeswalker mode is identical to the one in real life, much better than Archenemy. It still has all the randomness of the former, but without the imbalance that Archenemy brought.
    + I've yet to see the bugs in multiplayer mode, but I haven't played much.

- It takes longer to fully unlock each deck since there are 30 cards and they come 1 by 1 even when there are 3 of the same card to unlock.
    - Encounters are silly, it's all about retrying until you get perfect hands against a particular strategy, then again it works to test how your deck works against one particular situation.
    - Matchmaking is still crappy with the "pending...", "this match no longer exists" and the long waiting times.

I've been playing mostly with the White life gain deck, it seems vastly superior to the Garruk's and generally very powerful. It has two Day of Judgement and lot's of different spot removals which fit its mechanics (Swords to Plowshares, Recumbent Bliss, Chastise).
    The artifact that lets you draw cards when you gain life is probably the best card in the whole deck.

Other than that I'm still unlocking Chandra's deck and going through campaign mode. I've gone 3 times against Bolas with my white deck but had no luck, he seems much more OP than the final boss in 2012, but maybe that's my deck, I've seen people saying he's easy on forums.

So, what are your impressions of the game? What decks are you using?

Feel free to add me on Steam for games on either 2012 or 2013, I'd be happy to play with you.

@Fiel; @Derosis;

------------------------------------

Promotional Unlocks:
    In addition to the 30 card unlocks available when you get the game there are 10 promotional card unlocks that require a 6 letter code to be entered to unlock.

In order to unlock these cards go to Player Profile > Promotional Unlocks > Enter Code and enter the codes below.
    The codes released so far:
    1 - FNMDGP
    2 - KWPMZW
    3 - MWTMJP
    4 - WMKFGC
    5 - NCTFJN
    6 - GDZDJC
    7 - HTRNPW
    8 - FXGJDW
    9 - PCNKGR
    10 - GPCRSX

These correspond to the card in this list for each deck at the numbered position above:

Source: Wizards' Forums - User: evenfall
    Last edited by Shidoshi; 2012-07-09 at 01:53 AM.

2. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

I feel this time around is much more difficult compared to 2012 version. <played it on a friends account>
    I also Just got to the second section of the game, been playing DN lately, and I fought that Mono Green deck and it whooped my ass up to 7 times in a row. Jesus Christ it's insane.

3. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

I am Maltheo.

Going to play 2013 tonight, can't wait!

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

I haven't played the game itself but I played the actual card game.

Good lord, wait until you go against a very well built Blue deck. Have fun trying to get out even a single spell.

5. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Manual land tap in 2013?
    Frick yes, that was the biggest pain in the ass for multi-coloured decks.

@IllegallySane; I used to play MTG a lot in RL, too bad most of my friends stopped and the local group also stopped playing. Now i have a good 1k cards and nothing to use them for :(

6. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Been playing with Yeva's deck now, it's definitely not top tier with life gain, mill and goblins, but it's a hell lot of fun to play. T4 Natural Order into some giant monster is awesome and all the bouncing shenanigans with portals is great.

Bouncing slimes for Land/Artifact/Enchant destroy is beautiful.

7. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Apparently I'm 83/12k on free-for-all games, weird O.o

Yeva's deck is just too much fun. Overpowering goblins after they get you to 8 life by playing huge wurms they can't ever kill, winning against exalted by blocking them from white mana and gaining life faster than they can deal damage by using bouncing Thragtusks. Just priceless, got so many ragequits already.

8. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

The first promotional unlock code has been revealed (on Facebook), it's the same for every platform and every player. Just enter it in your Player Status > View Promotional Unlocks > Enter Code to get 1 additional card to each deck.

The code is: WMKFGC

9. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Awesome! Thanks :)

10. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

I feel that @Purplefire44 would enjoy this thread.

11. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

The more the merrier, I'm still waiting for Derosis and Malthe to catch up with deck unlocks so we can play some more serious games.

I would also like to add the there's a possibility of losing your save file (cards unlocked in decks and campaign progress) by playing in different machines. The one thing you should never do is download the files from the cloud if the game tells you they are different from what is on your computer, that will erase your progress for sure.

I recommend backing up the save files on your computer and if Steam ever asks you if you want to download or upload to the Cloud, cancel it, copy your back up files to the folder, then UPLOAD files to steam cloud.

12. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Oh sweet, I play this game too much
    Its a lot of fun :D
    Hello everyone!

13. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Second promotional unlock code revealed:

KWPMZW

14. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

How is Planeswalker mode? I know you said it was more balanced than Archenemy but Archenemy was insanely impossible to win at so...yeah....how is Planeswalker mode?

Honestly Archenemy was a great mode until you got to the freebie card deal that the Archenemy got every turn. Those things were so broken. 90% of the time the game was over before it even started.

15. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Honestly, it's "balanced" but for me it's just way too random for a game of Magic. The whole game can change when the planes roll over and suddenly you are in a losing position.

16. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Its a lot of fun with people you know in skype, because its so insanely casual

17. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Thanks for the info. Honestly my entire decision on whether or not to get it rests solely on whether Planeswalker is any good and if the decks are good. The decks were alright in 2012, but some of them were too traditional and I hate the "End All" cards they like in modern MTG. I've been playing MTG since I was a little kid, and I remember the old days when games would go on for hours, t'was the fun in it but with these "End All" cards that are just completely broken it kind of takes out some of the fun (for me at least).

How bad/good are the decks?

18. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

The decks are definitely much better in DOTP 2013, lots of different strategies instead of the pure aggro/tribal of 2012. There's a lot of strong old cards on every deck and they are overall more balanced, People can't agree on a tier list yet on the Wizards site and all of the decks see play online so far (no auramancer, beknighted, realm of illusions divine triad). I've definitely had long games with long stalls and matches where a desperate situation can be turned around.
    There's much more strong Sorceries (Natural Order), Instants, Enchantments and Artifacts (Panoptic Mirror) instead of just creatures like in 2012. The decks seem more centered around a different mechanic each: Mill, Lifegain, "enter the battlefield" creatures and bounce, mono-red burn, exalted, mono-black control, etc.

EDIT: I should also mention that decks in DOTP2013 get 40 card unlocks instead of the 20 in 2012 and it's even better than that. The decks now don't really have the filler cards that were obvious excludes after the unlocks, each deck has several different ways to be built depending how you want to play it and what's the current meta.

19. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

Some Russian dude in the Wizards forums has started to brute force the promo codes. He already has a first hit:

FNMDGP

20. Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers 2013/2012

That's awesome. I'm probably going to get it then.

Thanks for the info.