Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

Are artists that do remixes producing "real music" or are they just taking someone else's work and using it to get fame for themselves?
    Do you consider a good remix on the same level as a good original song?
    Is there value in a remix even if it's not as good as the original?

My opinion for those that care.
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Shidoshi; 2012-06-13 at 08:45 AM. Reason: hide-reply seems counterproductive

2. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

cheap way to get attention. but i wont deny that some remixes are good to listen to, like mash ups... some of those are eargasm inducing.

3. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

neither, the original did most of the work however some remixes deserve their attention and following. although don't get me wrong majority of remixes are awful..

4. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

I dont know. Do you consider what Weird Al does to be a remix or a parody? Because i've heard people say both. Some remixes can be good and improve upon a song, but most of the time yes, its a cop-out to gain some popularity and money.

5. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

In smaller music circles (indie artists and such), a lot of the times I see remixes floating around they are more of a way to show appreciation for a fellow artist and attract fans of your work to the works of your friend. Kind of how guest strips work for web comics.

It's generally bad when you go to more mainstream music.

I was thinking of Weird Al when I typed up the post, you could say his are remixes where real work was applied. Parody seems more fitting to what he does though.

From this dictionary definition it seems like a remix wouldn't have newly made vocals or sounds, only the same original ones played in a different fashion/tone. But by this definition most remixes couldn't be called that.

6. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

I like when a remix completely changes the genre, but I mostly prefer listening to original music rather than remixes.

7. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

To me it's dependent on the specific song. Something like, , I would consider talented because I would never have thought to put all that together. And this guy is really good too, although he's just doing what a 40's band did better as it was live;
    Spoiler

Key of awesome is another great example, I love most of their work, it's entertaining, creative and catchy. I feel like a lot of content developed is more of an evolution step than a cry for attention. There are terrible ones, but majority are in fact artistic in my opinion.

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

I don't generally like remixes.
    If I liked the original, I want to hear it all, not just the hook repeated over and over (at double speed usually) in a background of generic auto-generated "music".
    If I didn't like the original, I don't want to hear it rehashed, either.

Some remixes can be works of art, but unfortunately most of what hits the radio or gets popular on youtube, etc, is crap.
    Well, Sturgeon's Law applies to original music too, I suppose.

As for Weird Al, that's a whole different form of art. He, too, is riding on someone else's coattails, in the sense that if other people didn't write popular songs, he wouldn't have anything to parody. However, people listen to him for his satire. They listen for the new and funny words he writes to existing music. I give him credit for that.
    (He also does polka versions of popular songs, with their original lyrics. That's a bit less creative, in my opinion).

9. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

As stated above I like remixes that gives the song another tune, not just like the same song with a bass and electronic instruments.
    Perfect example:
    Spoiler

I don't see this as a cheap way to make music.

10. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

Completely agree, though it's not necessarily ''most of what gets popular'', it's more like ''most in general''.

So many people who remix don't seem to actually know how to do anything except add just a few things and call it something special. It seems like if a song is remixed I can usually predict what it's going to sound like before even listening oftentimes. Dubstep is even easier to predict since there's seemingly a ''template'' for what makes something ''dubstep'', and it involves ''having'' to use a few of the same sounds as everybody else, just placed at different points in a track. (I think some people might know what I'm talking about)

11. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

Only remixes I care to know about are of game music via OCRemix; but then, I think that is probably a bit different from what you are talking about here. I mean, do you consider an orchestrated performance of a chiptune a remix?

If it can be considered in standard definition of remix; then yes, I believe there can be real value in it. And from what I've experienced, the remixers themselves have posted their content with no charge for the community to enjoy. That probably isn't average, so I can't really judge that part of the question.

12. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

if they manage to put their own feelings into it, instead of blatantly ripping it off, then yes, i do consider it music this is completely biased though, as all things music.

13. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

As a lot of people in this thread have already stated, I'm also not a fan of remixes. Mostly, it's just there to get some cheap fame. I have a friend who "creates" video game music remixes nearly every day and spreads it around the internet like they're masterpieces, being shocked when people either decline to hear them or say anything negative about them.

There are some cases, though, where remixes can be very creative and unique. I think those deserve a little credit.

14. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Some are good. Some are crap :X Others clearly take more work than others, and some sound better than the originals.
    Eh, the second falls under more of a 'cover' but whatever. Sounds better than the original imo.

15. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

last post, but one of my favorite remixes/medleys.

16. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

+1

Also, the Shinesparker's album, "Harmony of a Hunter," is a pretty good Metroid remix album. They do some neat stuff with various Metroid songs. Not all of them are that great, in my opinion, but there are a few of them that stand out to me.

Edit : That Gerudo Valley dubstep remix was horrible. It killed the "desert" theme. :X

17. Peanuts
    IGN: BaconSkewers
    Server: Bera
    Level: 210
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: Acrylic
    Alliance: Honour

I love Kap Slap's Spring Break Mix, though that was more of a mashup than a remix.

I love this remix of Kid Cudi's Pursuit of Happiness though:

And yeah, Bacon loves rap. Suck it.

Edit: Dumbfoundead's remix of Houses: Soak It Up, which was remixed by Cassettes Wont Listen is pretty tight too:

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Basically, if the remix is better or as good as the original, I like it. If there's little passion put in the remix or is too monotonous compared to the original, pffft!

19. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Eh, that's just how Ephixa does his music. Like his Song of Storms remix, you can tell its SoS but it's not the same vibe for the most part. I enjoy the more traditional music that relates to LoZ a bit more as well as music that is derived from it that may not relate much to the original song at all.

If that made any sense ._.

20. Default Re: Remixes: real music or a cheap way to get attention?

Remixes can be good, but I think credit should still go to the original artist. Plus remixes on Youtube and the radio are a joke.