Thread: Maple Utility?

1. Default Maple Utility?

https://sites.google.com/site/mapleutility/

Spoiler

Someone just smega'd in Windia about this, Anyone got any thoughts about it?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it contained information stolen form Southperry, specifically the Damage Calculator (Even though it looks basic as hell and kinda cheap)

Looks like someone just tryin to make a few quick bucks off of Maplestory.

Edit: Yes, its $0.99 in the App Store.
    Last edited by Untradeable; 2012-06-13 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Pricing.

2. Default Re: Maple Utility?

You have to pay for this?

3. God of Terrorism Straight Male
    IGN: Bomber123
    Server: StranInSCA
    Level: 202
    Job: Terrorist
    Guild: Noctivagant
    Alliance: I dont remember
    Farm: ExpiredMobs
    usa

Default Re: Maple Utility?

99 cents. Its in app stores, like iPods and smartphones.

4. Default Re: Maple Utility?

It was kind of a rhetorical question. ;p

5. Default Re: Maple Utility?

If you read the description in the App Store, you'll notice it's on sale for a discounted price at $0.99

6. Alligator Straight Male
    IGN: Sure
    Server: Redoot
    Level: Eh.
    Job: I guess?
    Guild: No idea.
    Alliance: Think I know?
    Farm: This Exists Still?

I wonder how many people actually bought that app to begin with. No offence, but who needs this?

7. Helium Atom Straight Female
    IGN: Deviatoric
    Server: El Nido
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: Princess
    Alliance: Twerk
    Wisconsin

I.. am incredibly hesitant to trust this.

I am not really familiar with how Apple moderates apps that go into their store... but I just feel like this thing would silently send your cellphone information to someone, while intercepting any Bill to Mobile verification texts you may get so said person can charge NX to your phone bill without you knowing.

Yes, I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to downloading anything Maple-related.
    Last edited by Abbeh; 2012-06-13 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added more.

8. Default Re: Maple Utility?

Is this suable?

9. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Have you seen some of the apps for sale?

Looks pretty underwhelming from those images.

10. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

wat.
    Why do we have to pay 99 cents for something we can get completely free of charge?

11. Default Re: Maple Utility?

You can't do that.

12. Default Re: Maple Utility?

If you authorize it to manage your SMS messages you can, actually. At least on Android.

I wrote a proof of concept app to manage "selective quiet periods" on text messages so I wouldn't be woken at 3 am by drunken idiot booty calls but could still be paged by work. This would not be particularly different. It'd just catch the verification code by looking for incoming messages from their specific quickdial, not alert you and quietly redirect it elsewhere.

Hard to steal what we're essentially giving away for free.

There's no copyright on raw information. What's revealed is public domain as long as they're not stealing our formats, hotlinking our info or word for word plagiarizing Fiel there's really nothing we could do about it, nor should there be.

I do believe this was written by @acstyle.

13. Helium Atom Straight Female
    Wisconsin

Well, that's relieving. :x Still wouldn't buy it, though.

14. Default Re: Maple Utility?

Basic information that can be easily found. However, I don't criticize the one programing such app or even the ones buying it. It's not like 1$ is a fortune anyway

15. Default Re: Maple Utility?

I meant with Apple/Xcode. I haven't heard of it being able to receive data based on text messages. At most what an app can do is send a text to a source, which I guess could do what she's worried about in giving away the phone number, but nothing major. I think Bill to Mobile requires a bit more information than a phone number, I would hope.

16. Default Re: Maple Utility?

It sends you a confirmation text you have to enter the value of into a webform, more or less, or reply to accepting, or some combination of both. It's been a while since I've done, but on android at least it could be nastily commandeered by someone dumb enough to give an app the necessary combination of run as service and manage sms permissions. I'd be surprised if you really couldn't do something similar on the iPhone, I could've sworn I'd seen text-message managers and clients for it, and anything with their level of permission should be able to do the same.

17. Helium Atom Straight Female
    Wisconsin

I am thankful to still be on my parents' family plan and don't need to deal with cell phone bills, but consequently, I don't actually get to see what goes onto my bill.

Jamster silently billed me $10/month for a whole pineappleing year before I started getting text notifications about my statement being available from them, and all they could tell me was that I'd signed up for their services via the web. I never recieved any notification confirming that I wanted to sign up for, let alone pay for that pomegranate. They just took the money and ran. >_> As far as I know, all it took was an ad loading on my phone's browser for them to think I signed up.

There are just too many people who are in Maple solely to profit... with duping/MTS removed and hacking sites being sued, what comes next?

18. Default Re: Maple Utility?

Premium maple Service. Pay just $25 a month and your tickets can be ignored twice as fast!