Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Default Google wants .LOL domain.

http://mashable.com/2012/05/31/google-domain/

2. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

I want to get an email from google@google.google
    And I'd rather not see .doc as a TLD, seeing as how it's an incredibly common filename extension.

3. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

So why aren't there more domain names..?

4. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Because until recently ICANN wouldn't entertain adding more. They wanted a very controlled list of possibilities.
    The old "oh, five should be enough forever"

5. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

I mean like why on Earth do they think five should be enough forever?

6. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

What happens to all those people who signed up somewhere with the lol@lol.lol email?
    Poor guy who makes lol@lol.lol gonna get STORMED...

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Because most people can't remember them anyway, and they're not technically needed?
    I'm not sure what the length limit is on names, but pretty sure that even if all domains had to be of the form www.yourdomainnamehere.com there would still be enough for everybody in the world, many times over.

8. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Not meaningfully, no.
    You're only able to do ~63 characters and after a certain point you do run out of meaningful ways to express the contents of your site in the URL.
    Not to mention the obvious problem of having more than one person who wants the same name because they have the same name, or have the same product, or similar.

The reason there were so few TLDs is it was never expected to be this big.

It's really best to just read all about it rather than rehash it or try to sum it up again;

Internet
    TLD

9. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

League of legends new site! www.LoL.lol

10. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

i thought .net, .com and .org sounded pretty fine. i dont think ill ever choose other domains other than those three for my blog.

11. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

And in five years when they're virtually unattainable and all these new ones ( particularly .blog in your case) have been around long enough to actually be common place your current shallow mindset based on the brief period we've had the internet so widespread will be long gone because the internet will be nothing like it has been in the past 15 years.

And you'll probably be on some obsolete forum /* because no doubt forums will have become the bbs of that era of the internet at the rate progress is going, or the livejournal of that era to use a more modern if not quite dead analog */ like SP growsing about how you miss 'old internet' and whining about the 'good ol days when .net .com and .org were good enough for anyone' if this site's history is any proof of patterns

12. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

im planning to get the domain real soon and im pretty sure the domain name i want wont be thought up of by anyone else unless he/she is a super creepy stalker plus im also considering .sg as one of the domains... i would definitely get .sg if it wasnt so expensive :( so im considering .com/.net/.org because the newer TLDs dont really sound nice

13. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

You're failing to account for how absolutely stupid and nonsensical .com, .net, and .org sounded when they first started.

hell, the only reason .com is as popular as it is, is it was literally the only option for most people fresh to the net, because .net was exclusive to ISPs and .org was only nonprofits and similar. .biz was a sad attempt to double the capacity of .com without sounding entirely stupid, but by the time it came around they'd already unrestricted .net and .org for similar reasons and those were more familiar by now so people grabbed them instead.

None of them sound nice until you're familiar with them and see other people adopt them. It's all in your head.

14. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

inb4.eos

commonsense.eos would be a great website

15. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

For a mere 185K application fee and moderately painful vetting process you can have one!

16. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Hey, it's your name, I think it's only fair you pay, hmmm..90% of it

17. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Soon as SP makes that kind of money in a year, sure. (I'd settle for that kind of money in decade, I'm not greedy).

18. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Would it be too bold to ask how much it makes now

19. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

I need a good laugh; Guess.

20. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

i find this true to a certain extent. its relative to your domain name actually... some names sound good if it ends off with a .net or .org while others sound nice if it ends with .com
    i'd still love to see how popular newer TLDs will get and which will become the next 'in' thing. ive seen pretty stupid sounding TLD+SLDs.