Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Barely enough to pay for servers+Fiel's extractions.

2. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

i accidentally click ads almost everyday Dx.. anyway now that we're on the topic of domains, i wonder how godaddy is doing after the whole pro-SOPA fiasco.

3. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Less than enough, honestly. At last count year to date he's made 62% of his minimum requirement, and is apparently only staying out of charity and hope.

Let's just say that January gmsstatus made more than SP did the entire first quarter. Check that... entire first Third.

4. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

My sister made $11 off her edward sheeran blog so that's why I was curious

5. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

so does this income we speak of only come from ads or are you including the money you get from the market too ? @Eos
    Last edited by DeanNim; 2012-06-05 at 08:37 AM. Reason: i dont even know why i made that mistake.

6. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

1) Fiel only gets paid from Ad revenue for SP, specifically from the forums themselves.
    2) The market makes very very little. We've had 24 karma purchases in the past 6 months. The ad revenue for a month exceeds the projected market revenue for a year, generally. The biggest market windfall this year was the legal drive and you can see how much that made and it was of course immediately spent so qualifies as a net-zero from a profit standpoint. Over half of what the market has made YTD came from 2 users, the largest of which was Khainwest from the legal fund raiser. Incidentally you're the 3rd largest contributor and you know how much you've contributed.

7. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Southperry helped me get my job at ZAM. I've also got all the scripts written that I need to do extractions. The work is not difficult since I'm already extremely fluent with the wz files. I like my boss. The pay is pretty abysmal and makes some chinchillas weep, but overall this is a fun side project for me.

8. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Point stands; Charity

9. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Pot, meet kettle.

10. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

True enough. Some people would do well to keep that in mind about both of us while they're heckling, insulting and belittling everything around them

11. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

First time I've seen you pull out that argument. But really, Southperry has always been my reference on how to moderate a website correctly. God, a certain pony site could really learn from you guys.

12. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

I think .gov, and .edu make sense. For english and french speakers anyway (since english ripped off the french words). Of course most governments and educational institutions end up using the national TLDs anyway.

The problem of buying memorable domain names will always exist, there are 7 billion people and not that many words in any language. Personally I'm ok with having my name dot com, but it only works cause I got there first.

13. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

I'd prefer a .school to a .edu or even a .college, or one of each so you can tell them apart.

Semantic resource allocation is inherently flawed when it's possible to have more than one resource matching the same descriptors.
    Alas, for now it's what we got.

14. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

The official list of domains is out;

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program...utc-13jun12-en

15. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Am I alone that I prefer a domain character limit of 3? Looking at these and finding MCDONALDS, MAYBELLINE, MARKETING, etc seem silly.

16. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

I don't feel the need to limit it to three characters, but limiting it to things you'll have an entire suite of related sites, yes.

.blog I am good with. .game (though i'd prefer .mud, .mmo and .rpg honestly ) i can see, but things like .ford seem almost stupid.

They do open the avenue for cityname.mcdonalds and cityname.ford though. Which is what I am going to assume they were intended for.

17. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

Those really long and specific ones seem more like a way to eliminate the ".com" at the end of their site address than a real descriptive termination. And then there's huge ones like NORTHWESTERNMUTUAL and VERMÖGENSBERATUNG which are just silly.

EDIT: And oh wow, there's stuff like "通用电气公司" in there too.

18. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

lol www.mcdonalds ?

In the U.S. at least that one would make sense. Although as .GEC or similar. Maybe .power.

19. Default Re: Google wants .LOL domain.

our government and school websites usually end with .edu.sg or .gov.sg