Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Gaming interrupted by advertisement

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-in-game-advertising/22743/

As of right now, it's just an idea Sony is messing with. Hopefully it stays that way.

TL;DR version - Sony is thinking about interrupting gameplay on their consols for brief advertisements similar to a hulu video.

Personal speculation - if they brought down the prices of consoles or games in exchange for advertisements during load screens, then I can see these as not being too bad.

2. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

This is horrible in every and all ways, IMO.
    It'd pretty much make me never touch anything from sony again if it included an advertisement during my gaming.

3. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Load screens--yes

Interrupting gameplay--no.

Ohhhhhh, Sony. Don't start setting precedents now. There's no way they can get away with the worst-case scenario without major backlash from consumers.

4. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

I don't like it. Even if it makes a console prices go down. Paying a few bucks less but deal with advertisement forever doesn't seem to be a fair deal, specially if it interrupts gameplay.
    And no loading screen takes more than a comercial... so, NO!

5. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Actually, I had an idea to run the ads in the background. Like in all of those FPS maps, you could have a poster by McDonald's on the wall or something.

Don't steal my getrichquick scheme please.

6. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Already been done.

7. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

They do it already and the price of those games is as high as those with none.

8. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Eh? What games?

9. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Quite silly to speculate at all over this. It's a patent. That doesn't even imply they're planning on using it. It means...next to nothing. Bizarre how I've read discussion on this and people were legit mad/freaking out.

Dumb.

That aside, this is truly the most horrific idea imaginable for gaming.

10. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Can only think of Family guy mmo...there are signs with axe's logo on them around.

11. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

I pretty sure Need for Speed 2 had multiple Burger King and other product ads plastered throughout the city.

Edit: Here is an article from 2005.
    Nielsen/Activision study shows in-game ads work

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Notice that they stopped doing it.

13. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

If they do it, it will give the firmware hackers more reason to hack the PS4 or whatever they call it.

14. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

I never really had a problem with advertisements in the background of games like the billboards in need for speed or every single skateboard brand in tony hawk. I don't want them interrupting the gameplay though. The advertisements in load screens wouldn't bother me since obviously it doesn't interrupt gameplay.

Hell, even Nexon had advertisements in Maple Story in NLC for 7-11, Target, and some other stores I can't remember.

15. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

If my game is Interrupted by ads (something that I already pineappleing paid for, more than likely 60 dollars) I'll just stop buying sony products altogether. Loading screens, fine. Interrupting gameplay? No. Not happening. Either that or I'll just disconnect my PSwhatever from the internet whenever I play. It's amazing how much of insane money grubbers these Companies are now. I kinda hope this industry burns to the ground within the next 5 years so it can be remade from the ground up. Without these stupid ass money schemes.

16. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

I think they're going about it the wrong way...

make DRM that doesn't stop the game from working, but instead ACTIVATES ingame advertisements if its pirated. That way, they're turning Pirates into Profit. Its usually total unplayablility that makes the drm crackers get to work, but most people may be too impatient to wait for 'good' ad cracks. bam, easy exposure.

To reduce the odds of people hunting for cracked ad DRM, make it less invasive, only display ads in pause/loading and menu screens.

17. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

...lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_placement

18. Water

IGN: SolicShooter, SolicSage
    Server: Demethos
    Level: 162
    Job: Captain, BaM
    Guild: FallingStars
    Alliance: Quit MS
    netherlands

Didn't read the article, but in general I could easily live with advertisements during games as long as they're properly timed and I don't get them during the OMG I'M SO PSYCHED FOR WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS CUTSCENE moments, that are important to the story.

19. Default Re: Gaming interrupted by advertisement

Hey, look! It's people overreacting en masse.

Probably should link them to this article and tell them to read number 4.
    Then, I should elaborate a bit.

See, it seems to me that most of the people in this thread don't have any idea how patents work.
    They are created to legally protect an idea. That doesn't mean that that idea will ever be put to use in any or all of the ways it has been defined.
    Sony isn't made of stupid. They realize that ad sales are only valuable as long as those ads will be seen.
    In other words, they aren't going to piss off all of their consumers and just say "Well, pineapple ya'll."

Will they get away with disrupting some games that have no business being disrupted? Definitely.
    History says that the vast majority of customers will shrug and bend over for things they interpret as a minor inconvenience.
    But there will always be a hard line that even the most placid buyer will not allow to be crossed.

EDIT: Omg, I just had the best idea for Nexon to reap more money from Maplestory. Turn all the backgrounds of the ship-rides into advertising clips.
    Damn, someone should make me an executive.

This reads to me as, "I've just faced evidence that business executives live for profits, but my mind is going to pretend it's a new thing."
    The primary goal of any corporation is to see the the bottom-line improves every year.
    This will remain a fact no matter how many times you burn down and rebuild any industry.