IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Default Balancing classes

Obviously, Nexon is trying to balance classes with their continued revamps. What does "balancing" really mean, though?

I've seen Bowmasters going around saying "Bowmasters need stance!" and Shadowers going around saying "Shadowers need rush!" (and we got it). In your opinion, does giving classes skills that cover up their weaknesses truly qualify as "balancing" them?

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Re: Balancing classes

To me, balance is that ranged can survive ranged attacks without being one-shotted (probably a moot point), and melee can soak up damage like no tomorrow and aren't slow as molasses. Nothing else really. It should be a given ranged should be dealing more damage than melee. Also that mages should be among the top tier for DPS.

3. Alligator Straight Male
    IGN: Sure
    Server: Redoot
    Level: Eh.
    Job: I guess?
    Guild: No idea.
    Alliance: Think I know?
    Farm: This Exists Still?

I always thought they do revamps to make the classes feel balanced before more classes are released so that way when they need to, they only have to balance the new classes.
    I have no idea what I was thinking.

4. Default Re: Balancing classes

I actually like the idea of there being a threat of dying.

Anyways, the classes don't need balancing, unless it's a game-wide change. If anything needs to be revamped, it's the monsters.

Since Chaos (in KMS), there have been roughly 5 relevant additions (PvP, Ardentmill, PQ Revamp, Aswan, Part-Time Job), the rest has been just revamps/new classes. No more pineappleing class changes.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Unavoidable one-shot attacks feel like BS. Anything completely avoidable that one-shots, that's an understandable mechanic. Just none of this screen wide OHKO laser, or "Oh you're unluckily stunned in place? LOL-YOU-DIE-FROM-AN-AVOIDABLE-ATTACK."

6. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: Dailom
    Server: Windia
    Level: 188
    Job: Wild Hunter
    Guild: Caelia
    Alliance: HighOrder

My version of balance involves having monsters and bosses that each have a unique attack setup and manners of moving that would put some classes at a disadvantage, while others are well suited for them. Have warriors hit hard but have difficulty keeping up with faster enemies, have archers shoot farther and move moderately fast while not hitting as hard as warriors or mages, have mages attack at a medium range while moving slower than archer and hit less hard than warriors, and have thieves move extremely fast while not hitting very hard outside of crits and not throwing stars as far as archers shoot arrows.

That said, Nexon did actually manage to use that set-up way back before Pirates were released, but they've never had enemies that were very distinguished from one another. It's always been a hoard of oddly shaped creatures that all moved at about the same speed and dealt about the same damage. They seriously need to think about making the monsters themselves balanced and not focus on giving every class a skill that gives them what every other class has.

For example, Empress Cygnus could have a large map filled with floating platforms that serve as the territories for each instructor (and not have the instructors spam a crapload of summons), then have each instructor's stats set up to cater to their job. As an example, Mekhail could have like 70% PDR and only 25% MDR and deal something like 15k touch damage while only being able to deal 5k magic damage; thus, he would clearly be a boss meant to be fought by mages with a warrior holding him away and debuffing him. Cygnus could have something like 50% PDR and 80% MDR, while dealing something like 15k magic damage but only 10k touch damage, and have many different attacks that can be dodged by most classes if they time their movement skills correctly, oh, and of course have her shift her elemental weakness around.

7. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

BISHOPS NEED MAGIC CRASH.
    While you're at it, give us smokescreen and shadow partner, too

In all seriousness though, to me, balance would mean each class being able to hold their own damage-wise, but perhaps reliant on other classes' buffs to keep them alive, etc. That way the class is still unique.

8. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Balance, as the name would imply, is having all classes be good at something. It's having their strengths and weaknesses balance so that every class is useful in some situation.

Some classes will have better survivability, but correspondingly less damage. Some will be better at single target damage, but worse at mobbing. Not every class will be good at everything, but every class will be good at something.

I do not think Nexon's periodic buffs and rare debuffs are 'balancing'. At most, some %s get adjusted, but this completely fails to adjust some of the fundamental disparities between classes because of the available skills. Look at Mercedes, they have amazing 1v1, nice mobbing, rush, decent survivability and no real weaknesses. Instead of excelling in one area over other classes, they obliterate the usefulness of old classes by beating them in everything.

At this point, I don't think any classes need to get stronger. Instead some need to be nerfed and have their playing styles fundamentally reevaluated. Oh, there should be some semblance of caring whether newly released classes make old classes obsolete too.

lulBalance

9. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Everything comes to this.
    Hey guys look! I'm a NL I hit 6x times than you no matter your skills are stonger cuz I has 999% Luk!!!
    OH GUYS CHECK THIS OUT! NEW CLASS HITS 12x times!
    OH GUYS CHECK THIS OUT! Hits 20x times!
    And so on... and on and on and on....

Why would I make paladin if a drk hits more multiple times with less effort?
    Why would I make a bishop if a archmage has better damage?
    Adv bless, C/o doesn't even freaking countes because you can get 'em as decent skills...

10. Default Re: Balancing classes

Mainly what the others have been saying. If everyone has a movement skill, can mob well, and has high survivability then everyone's just going to flock to the one with the highest damage. When this happens some of the more "weaker" classes get left out.

There should be pros and cons to each class, and even between jobs within the classes. Without these differences, it just feels like you're playing the same class over and over instead of getting a new experience from playing one character to another.

11. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

For me, balancing means that one class isn't significantly overpowered to the point where other classes literally suck plantain and it is not worth playing them. For example, giving every new class tons of mobility, status resistance, both great 1v1 and mobbing capabilities, and easy ways of hitting insane damage/cap makes the older classes significantly worse. Balancing happens when those old classes are buffed so they can hold their own or when the new classes get nerfed (Nexon seems to like to do both, but without adding more content/stronger/harder bosses).

I think all the classes should be unique in their own way, with their own strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, Nexon likes to make lots of carbon copies- s'hitting on the old characters for new shiner ones that steal the uniqueness they once had.

Uh... idk about you, but I wouldn't make a bishop for damage, I would make it for support. I understand what point you were trying to make, but an I/L is pretty different from a Bishop in most respects...
    Not going to touch the pally/drk comment because I don't really care for pallies :/

12. Default Re: Balancing classes

Between just Paladin and DrK, the DrK mobs better and the Paladin single-targets better (and has way more defensive ability).

The real problem is that the other warriors (Hero, Aran, DS) are all stronger than both of them on all # of targets (Hero's way stronger on single, Aran's way stronger on multiple), while DS and Aran still have better defense than either of them...

I wish Nexon would stop doing 'balance' updates that just grant every skill to every class.they don't all need Stance, and Damage Resist, and FJ, and Powerguard...

When every class has every skill, all that's left is "which class has more DPS?" there's no play style to tell you to pick one or the other.

13. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

In any case... what's the support? Does anyone needs support anymore?
    The only support skill till this day is Resurrection. Any other skill is either obsolete or can be achieve by decent skill.
    95% of bishops I know are just HS mules. I know what you are trying to say, but this enforces what I've been trying to say here.
    This game can be played completely alone, with no need of cooperation/organization/plans anything. Just go there, throw some nx get ridiculous amount of %stat get your decent skill and you're all set to "beat" this game by yourself. The only place you need "help" is at CWKPQ, and thats like... minimal.

14. Default Re: Balancing classes

My idea of balance is that every class can make some kind of unique and valuable contribution to the game. The problem is that Nexon hasn't really focused on the game's content. Instead they're constantly creating new overpowered classes and revamping older ones because it brings in easy money. Some classes are becoming obsolete (Bowmasters, Bishops) because new classes do everything better. For example, Phantoms can easily fullfill Dark Knight and Bishop roles while doing significantly more DPS than them.

It's getting to the point where every class has flashy animations, Advanced Mastery, some Hurricane-like skill, Flash Jump, Stance, etc. When all classes are the same it just boils down to which does the greatest DPS. Unfortunately, Maple is very DPS oriented. Most of the content involves mashing down one button without any real strategy. Nexon should focus on expanding the game's content first and then revamp the classes accordingly.

15. Donator Straight Female
    canada

I take offense to this. Bishops have come a long way since right after Big Bang.

I am an independent bishop WHO DON'T NEED NO PARTY. `Cept when I need to kill Von Leon :(

16. Euro Minicar Straight Male
    IGN: ZekkenAdele
    Level: 246
    Job: Adele
    Guild: DarkLily
    Alliance: Arcane
    Farm: HarvestxMoon
    usa

i think that was the whole point lol if a support class can solo anything why would anyone make any other classes, the reason support classes aren't needed is basically every class is too OP so no one really need any partying like how a ds can heal itself and party with OP defense.

17. Donator Straight Female
    canada

I agree that support classes are really no longer a necessity. However, they can be pretty convenient at some of the higher level bosses. Also, doesn't leech aura get nerfed soon? o-o

18. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I was responding to Chew's post where he asked:

That was my opinion, but I wasn't trying to insult bishops. I have a 169 bishop that I use for support and I know they have the ability to do some decent damage

19. Donator Straight Female
    canada

I know. I wasn't being super serious with that post ^^. Most the maple population fails to realize the potential bishops have. Heck, a majority of bishops don't even see it ._.