Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

http://thegamershub.net/2012/05/fina...ks-to-be-real/

I don't usually acknowledge dumb video game rumours, especially ones that have no real ground to stand on like this. I mean, it's been 6 years since XII came out and Matsuno, creator of "the Ivalice Alliance" has left Square-Enix and is now under employ by Level-5. That DS game ended up being just awful and XII was met with mixed reactions at best. In a market where creators are afraid to take risks, this just doesn't seem likely.

That aside, I have mixed feelings about hearing this. Final Fantasy XII is not only my favourite FF game, but it is one of my favourite games of all time, so it's hard not to be excited by this. On the other hand, without Matsuno, this will at best have mediocre writing, especially if this is left to Nomura.

If they do this, I hope they stay true to XII. It needs to be a political war story. No bullpomegranate love story. They need to keep the gambit-based battle system, for better or worse. They should not go out of their way to jade the true fans of this sequel in order to appeal to those who couldn't deal with the infinitely more sophisticated and interesting systems that XII introduced.

My hopes are that they would avoid tropes. The good thing about all of the characters that Matsuno wrote was that they were all interesting and non-stereotypical. Nomura created Vaan; look how that went. I'd prefer that they avoid over-glorifying the characters of XII. Everything they did, they did from the shadows. The game ended in such a way that acknowledged that they were not suddenly great heroes for their exploits.

It's hard not to get my hopes up with this as XIII-2 ended up being spectacular. SE does have some potential left.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

my thought is that i need to get a PS2, or they need to add all the games 7~12 to the PSN for download ._.

i played revenant wings, wasn't necesarily bad, but it certainly was pretty meh, especially since after three days of playing it i had completed most of the main storyline.

i likd it more than not though, was fun.

what console it for? edit: oh eww

3. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Lawl i confused FF XIII with the XII. The Twelve wasn't bad, but i don't remember if i particulary liked it better than the others. (My favs include the 8 First then 4, 5 and 6. in no particular order, never played more than a few hours of the 7 but i heard it was good)

4. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Any particular reason you wrote Saga as SaGa in the tile? I doubt this would have anything to do with Romancing SaGa. Granted it is also a series from Square, but still.

I deem this true. They made a sequel to the most crappy FF game of all times this year. They made a sequel for FF X, which must be considered one of the worst FF:s, albeit a trillion times better than the later additions. Why can't the second most crappy one get a new installment too?
    Viva modern gaming, where taste, quality and heart gets shafted for visual prowess!

5. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

FF2 >>> at sucking. doubt 10 was worse than that.

6. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

It was written as SaGa on various other websites and given Square's past use of that title it seems like it's probably how they actually wrote it.

Also lol at your ridiculous hatred of XII. The visuals were not even that good, everything else about it was superb.

7. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

I would prefer an HD remaster of the international version of XII over a sequel. I was never a big fan of XII, but I would play through that game again if we received the international version. Also, if Square Enix is going to make a sequel for a game taking place in Ivalice, I would rather see a Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

8. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

You mean 3 no? (Afaik FF Tactics 1 was from the GBA and FF Tactics 2 was from the DS. Heck i think there is even a Tactics released for the PSP called War of the lions never played it but i think its set in ivalice too)

I remember liking a little the whole skill system (Although it was annoying at times, wish i could have gotten that Zodiac systems or some crazy pomegranate i remember they released for japan only), and you always had something to do with the bounties and pomegranate, which in some game its good.

P.S: I hate the japanese and their frigging remastering with better stuff version of RPGS. (KH Final Mix, The zodiac thingy on FF XII, etc)

9. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

FF Tactics on the PS1 is the original, and War of the Lions is a remake of that game on the PSP. FF Tactics Advance 1 and 2 aren't direct sequels, they basically take place in the same universe (I think) but don't follow the story of the original. I would highly recommend playing the original or its remake if you enjoy tactical RPGs.

Agree on the remakes. If you are going to make a better version, can we get it as well?

10. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Yes I would like a new Final Fantasy Tactics too.

11. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Yes, they're all set on the same world. Different regions and different times, but all the same Ivalice. Vagrant Story is also a part of Ivalice. They're all created by Matsuno. As far as the world's story goes, at some point in history all of the other races perish and humes are left, which is when Vagrant Story takes place. Don't quote me on this but I believe that as far as timeline for Ivalice goes it's...

FFTA > FF12 > FFTA2 > FFT > VS

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivalice

Corrections to the above after skimming the article

SE claims that VS is a part of the Ivalice world, Matsuno does not. As the creator, I'd have to say that Matsuno's word is final. Also my timeline is horribly wrong, haha.

12. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Feels too fake to get my hopes up. The 'official' twitter includes a fake square link.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

I liked XII and XIIRW, but RW's end and post game were terrible :(

14. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Mostly, it is because I know how it irks you.
    I actually enjoy XII and would have loved it if not for the craptastic cast.
    My hatred for the Fabula Nova Crystallis installments is very real though.
    Last edited by CarrionCrow; 2012-05-27 at 06:31 AM.

15. Alligator Straight Male
    IGN: Sure
    Server: Redoot
    Level: Eh.
    Job: I guess?
    Guild: No idea.
    Alliance: Think I know?
    Farm: This Exists Still?

Even though it's fake, do we honestly need another FF game being worked on? And I'm waiting for VII Enix. We're all waiting.

16. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

If you mean you are waiting for a remake, then lol, good luck with that.

http://nerdtrek.com/final-fantasy-7-...eeable-future/

Anyway, i kinda liked XII, i loved the large world, the unique art and character designs and i especially loved the challenging boss fights because there was so many of them, not like in XIII or XIII-2 in which you got so powerful and there was nothing to actually fight.

The voice acting was good, and some of the characters were likable (Basch, Balthier, Fran, Penelo). The story and all the political drama was a bit confusing, but all the Ivalice games are, and i tried not to let it bother me.

A sequel would be interesting... providing they use the same battle system.

17. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

Me too! But don't worry It will come out after KH3.
    It's been too long.

ot~ I never liked FF12, well imo FF games have lost their magic since 10-2, I don't look forward to them the same.

18. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

XII was a masterpiece in terms of gameplay. The cast was weak and should have been centred around Ashe probably because Vaan and Penelo were awful. Come to think of it I only liked Ashe, Balthier and Fran. But I digress...

I wouldn't mind a sequel but I agree they should keep the gambit system because it gave a very strategic battle style which worked really well.
    If they do make a sequel, I'd hope they keep the same gameplay elements and just make a better cast this time around.

As for those saying VII remake - wasn't that confirmed to never be happening? I don't understand where all the praise for VII comes from anyway. It was good but by no means the best FF. I think its just the nostalgia factor.

19. Default Re: Rumour: Final Fantasy: Valiant SaGa (12-2)

I hate you

Every problem I have with the entire game is solved by ignoring the existence of one, perhaps two, characters. The rest of the cast is INCREDIBLY strong and I don't see how anyone could say the best airship pirate to ever live is a weak character ;_;.

20. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Am i the only one who REALLY liked Fran's voice? It was sort of husky and british.
    The voice acting was strange, because it always had a certain faded (?) quality too it, but it just seemed to fit.... except Vaan's voice.