IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Default Jungling AMA thread

I decided to create this thread to help others who want to venture into taking up the jungler role later down the line, and for those that are looking to improve on their jungling capabilities.

------------------------------------------

For those that are not familiar with jungling, here's the basic gist:

Jungling is a role where a player picks a specific champ - with favorable abilities, stats, traits, etc - and kills neutral monsters (jungle creeps) in order to get farm and levels. However, do note the jungling role is most often seen in high-level matches (level 30 normals + ranked) due to right runes and masteries required to be an effective jungler.

Being a jungler can reap high rewards for your team. It frees up one additional lane for soloing (for top), allowing one of your top laner allies to get ahead in levels (in a 1v2 top lane situation). Not to mention, the jungler has the element of surprise early on with ganks (though the element of surprise is mitigated with proper ward placement by the opposing team). That person will be roaming in between lanes to try to ambush enemies that are out of position, i.e. those who pushed their lanes way too far. Not to mention, the jungler is responsible for a substantial portion of team map control by maintaining control over his/her side of the jungle. The jungler is also responsible in leading the way in guarding and taking important buffs and objectives. (This includes Elder Lizard, Ancient Golem, Dragon, and Baron).

For a full article about the general gist of jungling, see here: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Jungling

---------------------------------------------------

General Jungling advice:

Ask me anything! Any general questions regarding jungling is fair game.

Specific Questions:

If you want specific tips/advice for certain jungling champs, I will not mind providing them! Here are the champs that I have extensive experience with in the jungle:

- Alistar**
    - Amumu***
    - Cho'Gath***
    - Fiddlesticks **
    - Gangplank*
    - Lee Sin*
    - Nocturne**
    - Rammus**
    - Skarnersssss***
    - Tryndamere*
    - Udyr***

* = Have used before, but not currently in use. I can still provide some general advice, though.
    ** = have used before, and still be able to provide detailed knowledge about those champs. I may still use those champs on an occasional basis.
    *** = Basically the junglers I main right now. I can provide extensive advice and tips for those jungling champs.

Also, anyone with jungling experience is welcome to help others out! The more help, the better!

Ask away!

2. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

What's your reasoning to hang around people's lanes and CS? It's something I observe you doing fairly often, for bad or for good.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

Well I'll start off with the bad consequences of anyone doing that xD

In general, after a gank - whether its a failed or a successful gank - if safe, I may stick around to grab some EXP before I head off (recall to heal/buy up, or continue jungling). I usually do this if I see I'm close to leveling up (in other words, get enough EXP to actually level up or get enough EXP to a certain point where I can go clear already-spawned jungle camps and level up before recalling). And in today's jungling atmosphere, junglers must keep up in levels or risk being an underwhelming force on the team. But I do my best NOT to gimp the bot lane's EXP or gold income. I can admit that sometimes I have my "dun goofed" moments about this at times, such as accidentally pushing the lane in the process while trying to get a snippet of EXP or two

In certain situations, I may help my team push and attempt to destroy a turret after a gank if conditions allow it.

tl;dr If you're a jungler and want to leash some EXP and maybe a couple of CS from a lane after a gank, stay around briefly enough to get what you need, then roll on to whatever else you need to do. Don't stick around too long and gimp your bot lane.

4. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

Ganker's tax. DEAL WITH IT.

5. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

6. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Straight Male
    IGN: Namalamadingdong
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Break The Meta
    Connecticut

Why do you even bother to jungle Ammumu any more? Whenever the premade group of people I play with see Amumu picked in drat as their jungler it's an agreed upon level 1 invade and easy first blood and blue control for the rest of the game us.

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

How early do you recommend on Oracle's?

8. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Unless i got charity from getting a kill or two i don't do the gank tax unless the one in the lane is going B so i push to tower and gtf away from the lane. And since im always jungling with nocturne + Lifesteal Quints i have lots and lots of health.

9. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

>Lifesteal quints

BWAUAHAHAHA

10. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

So being able to start with boots and pots its bad huh?(And still have high enough hp for a gank, so you don't get killed like a moron nor having to B early either) Ok Aynia whatever you say.

11. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

This... BWUAHAHAHAHA.

12. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend boots + pots. With the element of surprise, you should be able to force the other lane to back or blow summoners at the very least.

13. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

You probably can start boots and pots without lifesteal quints anyways.

14. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

My spartan blood always demand a kill :D (And suicides, Lots and Lots of suicide).

And even though i say that i still start with armor and 2 hp pots (Just in case, almost never use them if i get a good leash), i save those 105 gold or buy a early ward (I get seriously screwed if someone invade my jungle)

Yes you can, but never liked how much hp i had left after a clear.

15. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

You use flat armor and attack speed marks, right? (maybe even attack speed glyphs?)

16. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

Armor Flat Yellow, Armor pen Red and Mres per level blue never bothered changing those but since i decided to finally buy new rune pages i may do so.

17. Default Re: Jungling AMA thread

9/21 will get you boots, clear time and a strong rune set up for doing damage. But I guess lifesteal quints are OP.

18. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Should've bought those attack speed reds instead of lifesteal quints .

I'm not hating on lifesteal, since apparently the highest normal player uses Spell Vamp Quints on his Kennen, but eh, that's different.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

I still play Amumu as a jungler, but not as much anymore. The only time I play him is with a premade I queue up with often (they understand how I use the mummy and coordinate well with my ganks) I find him to be a relatively fast, stable, and reliable jungler despite other junglers outclassing him by ten miles nowadays. The key thing is to have the full team protecting Amumu before Ancient Golem spawns to prevent (and counter) any level 1 invasion. Another key thing is for your team to exploit what Amumu has to offer to a team to the fullest extent possible. I find Amumu's kit to have quite a bit of utility on a team, and he can still have a dramatic impact in teamfights if initiation is done correctly.

My point is that if your team is extremely competent and will go long ways to protect your butt as jungle Amumu, you're fine. Also as a side note, I tend to exploit the fact that I get counterjungled easily to my team's advantage, especially when I'm on Amumu. When I'm playing him, I usually ward the f'uck out my own jungle and let my team know that if they spot an enemy in our jungle, they should go and kill that person. What ends up happening is that once I spot an enemy in my jungle, I usually ping nearby teammates to come with me and try to gank the invader. What's funny is that I have set up free kills for my allies and feeding them buffs off the slain enemy jungler, all because those people get cocky and think that they can easily get away with stealing my camps. Sets back whoever invading, gets my allies ahead, and the free kills adds up to my team getting ahead by quite a bit.

Using Amumu as a jungler is fraught with risks. But if you think outside a box a bit, look at Amumu's weaknesses and strengths and see how you can exploit them to your advantage, you'll see Amumu is still usable. And for me, I don't get stuck in "Amumu's too easily shut down, he sucks as a jungler" mentality. I choose to look at the overall picture and see what are the things I can do to turn things around in my favor.

20. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

I like Life steal so meh. And no i would not change my reds, im on frigging nocturne ffs why should i have aspd reds.

And im planning on buying spellvamp quints for when i play with morde :X