Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/0...tm_medium=feed
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...tion-drm.shtml
    http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives...story_enfo.htm

2. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

...What. I never knew such a popular private server existed. Jeeze.

Those guys who run it must be crying right about now. It would've been $1,233,492,757.47 had they kept the original amount. Lmfao

3. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

I'd choose suicide over paying that.

that's over 75 pineappleing years at 50k a year

4. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

You do realize when they get sued for that, it's usually to take back the money that is originally theirs. Nexon wants the money that private server generated which is probably a lot more than you think.

5. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

You know that they cant and won't pay it all back right?

They'll just give all the money they got and then get personal bankrupt and that's about it.

Sure they won't be able to borrow money from bank for a while or even get a credit card, but that's about it.

6. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

*claps hands*
    Well done Nexon. Now destroy the rest of them.

Depending on what life they picture for themselves, that can be pretty dang big.

7. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

oh

well then
    that's pretty costly.. nexon's going to milk someone dry, whether they like it or not

8. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

"MapleStory, of course, asked for the statutory maximum of $44,845,000, which the court refuses to grant. In fact, the judge chides MapleStory for its request for the maximum -- even to the point of noting that the arguments by MapleStory make it 'question very seriously whether Plaintiff intended to actively mislead the Court or whether these oversights were merely the result of poor legal research.' "

"this case does provide an excellent example of the ridiculousness of anti-circumvention statutory damages. $3.4M can't be the right damages award in this case, and it's so guffaw-inducing that it further erodes the legitimacy of our copyright rules."

You guys may think this is a win or whatever for Nexon, but it's also kind of pathetic of them. Oh no they stole a potential $68,000 from us even though we make millions, let's sue them for $44 million.

9. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Ouch..I can only imagine their thoughts about all of this is considering the cost. Though it kind of amazes me that people that may read these kinds of stories on maple related forums still make pservers..

10. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Stealing is stealing, examples have to be made.

11. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Honestly, this disgusts me. Not the lawsuit, I'm all for them having to answer to the law for profiting with copyrighted material, but the amount Nexon wanted in the first place was completely ridiculous. Specially if you take into account that a lot of people who play in a private server either have an account on MS as well, or only play the PS because of the perks (100x exp or whatever, free NX items, active GMs, events), and wouldn't play MS on the official servers anyway. I'm all for Nexon closing down private servers, but i have a feeling they're doing it for all the wrong reasons, and I have a feeling they just saw this as an opportunity to take down competition and make a lot of money in the process.

I wish this would make them take a look at the things that are making people choose the private servers over them and try to fix this. Remember back when GMs banned hackers almost daily and announced it in game? Remember events with nice rewards like turkey pet, lunchbox, and even more recently, Time Traveler medal? The option for perma NX items? Now GMs log once every 2 months if we're lucky, talk about liking pie, and ignore any serious requests, questions or comments. Now every event is the same: collect 200 of x item or log in for x time during x days and get an expiring item that isn't that good to begin with. I think that if Nexon worked on these (and all the other) shortcomings, it would help secure the loyalty of their players.

/end rant

12. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

The big problem nexon has is the "private server players" are nomad's. They expect every server to shut down, they just refuse to go back to GMS because of the ridiculously retarded methods of playing. It's sad when a private server is more legit than the main server.

But joe, of course nexon is attacking them for money, they called their bluff, and nexon went for their throat. It's not a question of greed in my opinion, just nexon finally showing it's fangs.

13. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

I love private servers to be honest.
    It's like a heatsink for a processor, except it's an idiotsink for stupid players.

14. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

It's Nexon attempting to show it's fangs. I honestly don't think they actually know why they're doing what they're doing except to just scare people. You know a couple months ago when they opened the case against Riukuzaki and RiPE, she almost immediately stopped RiPE support for Nexon games. She's already began RiPE support for Maple again. And I'm like 95% sure that she's representing herself in the case and not using a lawyer. In my opinion, it doesn't look like they are doing a good job.

15. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

The absolutely ridiculous amount of money they asked for shows their huge greed.

16. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Well they're doing something right making a settlement like that, I'm not sure of that case, but I doubt that's not going to miraculously flop either. I'm not sure what you mean by "they dont know what they're doing", like because she herself didn't stop distributing the code, only went on hiatus?

17. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

@KhainiWest;

The only reason Nexon won this case is because the defendant didn't show.

18. Can of Soup Straight Male
    IGN: chicoran
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Aran IV
    Guild: Risk
    Alliance: Bastion
    venezuela

Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Lol private servers? they aren't a real harm for you nexon, sure closing one now and another in 1 month is fine but the real proffit killers are the dupers and hackers on GMS, right know we have a non cash item version of: Vicious hammer, pam's song, shield wards and others. Gachapon is kind of a failure right now since it doesn't give good profit anymore, there are epic potential scrolls anywhere and a copy of almost every endgame equip.... You tell me are Pservers really doing that amount the damage? or is your incompetence the real reason of your low in profits?.

19. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Highly unlikely that is the only reason. I can't imagine they could win. Perhaps dodge some of the fee, but hardly go free.

20. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

it would be funny if nexon was right now in their HQ going

"dude... we won... we weren't supposed to, wtp do we do now?"