IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Default Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

Straight copy+pasta from another website in which Aleks Manov is/was posting current updates about his status.
    He also goes by the name of Sparks.

Thread Title: [Update] Court
    He originally stated that his court date was in April 15 or something like that and he said, like below said that he made a mistake and is actually on the 18th.
    He posted this roughly 20 hours ago from this thread's post time. This was basically about all the stuff that went down in the court and a few tips for the pserver community. There will be a final outcome in May because of the Judge's schedule, and from he thought this went better than expected.

2. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

Is this guy being sued for running a private server? I'm not even sure what I'm reading here, a little context would be nice.

3. Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

After skimming it, I believe he is responsible for OdinMS?
    Or another private server.

4. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Sparks is responsible for creating a MapleStory Private Server development community.
    A forum which houses public releases, tutorials and all that fun stuff.

He is not only the owner/admin of that, he is also involved in a private server but Nexon doesn't seem to be suing him for that.

5. Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

I believe Sparks was part of the OdinMS project but he wasn't the person originally sued for OdinMS. He is being sued now for a different private server if I am reading correctly.
    Then again OdinMS was so long ago that I don't quite remember the names of the people in charge. Man I miss OdinMS, it was fun :(

6. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Well, IMO that's the most interesting part of the entire thing.

Although... do most private servers use "original" code or did they grab it from Nexon (BMS, for instance)? And if they used BMS' source code, would that be considered copyright infringement? This is probably a stupid question since I've no idea how one would make a private server, but yeah.

7. Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

Wow I can't believe I'm seeing this here lol, this is my friend in real life and I've told my friends about this various times as he's updated me on it as well. Before OdinMS which he and his team put together Aleks was programming and creating numerous other private servers and at the same time was getting many calls from Nexon America's lawyer at the time Loydd Korn I believe it was? About shutting down everything he was working on and getting rid of it as well as the community and the team, he uploaded the phone call to YouTube a couple times but it was quickly removed of course but I'll see if I can get my hands on that again.

He went underground for a long while before he was discovered again and was out getting gas one day when someone had approached him asking if he was Aleks Manov and he then aproceeded to handed him an envelope full of count papers then walked away. I don't remember 100% but I believe he was being sued for constant development of Private Servers/running communities when he was given personal warnings various times. And he was a main developer that brought OdinMS to life and it was indeed their own coding they did from complete scratch and nothing stolen like all the other copy pasta from Nexon most Private Servers do. Going to see if I can get a hold of him about this lol, can't believe it made it's way here.

I'll see if I can't get him to join SP and give you guys a little more info about the whole "so and so" VS Nexon America INC. and how much of a money grabber it is for them and how they like to bankrupt people for their whole life.

8. Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

Lolwhat.

Two "lawyers" were "beaten" by one person who most likely has less experience in the courtroom then they do. Or at least, he got away with a hell of a lot less than what they were aiming to pin him with.

No love between Nexon and its lawyers with judges, huh? From the two cases so far, it seems like the judge rules in favor of the person being sued into financial death by Nexon.

9. Default Re: Nexon America vs. Aleks Manov

Don't make it sound like he is a victim though.

10. Neutron Straight Male

IGN: SheLikesIt
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Buccaneer
    Guild: Fatal <3
    Alliance: A bunch of homos

From what xxsilencer said, OdinMS was all Alex's coding, so how would he NOT be a victim? In my opinion he's not responsible for the actions of the other developers and people in the community and its fairly easy to see that Nexon goes after "normal" people in a sense for MILLIONS of dollars that they don't have. In my opinion at least, thats a bit of a victim

11. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

As is clearly stated in the second quote, he isn't being held responsible for the code he developed for OdinMS server. He is only responsible for using the client which Nexon developed.

I don't know if he can be held legally responsible for other developers that he recruited and/or hosted on his forums, but that doesn't appear in the original quote. Without more specific/factual information about the case I don't see how an opinion can be formed either way. Maybe other people here know something I don't, but this is the first I've heard about the case.

If he did in fact go "underground" as XxSilencer says to try and dodge a subpena, I'm guessing he knew he was engaged in dubiously legal actions and that there were going to be consequences. Does that sound like a victim to you?

12. Neutron Straight Male

IGN: SheLikesIt
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Buccaneer
    Guild: Fatal <3
    Alliance: A bunch of homos

Fair enough.