Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Doing a separate thread for each of these. More documents may follow thanks to donations and as they get publicly released.

Contains a single page form listing Nexon, the defendent, and MapleStory v75 as the infringed material. PA 1-741-698 is apparently their registration number.

03. Report on Filing of Copyright Action (Initial Notification)

Real meat of the complaint.

14. Amended Complaint

Douglas Crane (Lonerboy)'s Rebuttal; Denies knowledge of anything and everything except his own physical location and Nexon's ownership of their material.
    The affirmative Defenses are the only good reading and I'll be probing those shortly.

16. Answer to Complaint (Discovery)

Request to postpone court till Wednesday, June 6, 2012. Douglas Crane and Linda Liu are the only defendants responding so far.

20. Ex Parte Application to Continue

Court agrees to reschedule...

20. Proposed Order

Ryan Cornwall's Rebuttals. Denies everything similar to Douglas Crane with a bit more technical acknowledgement. Admits to creation and intended purpose of his various projects. The affirmative defenses are interesting but so are the technicality wrangling attempts in the various denials.

22. Amended Answer to Complaint

Request for a default judgment against Colin_ for not replying. A similar request was filed against Jayce.

25. Declaration of Marc E. Mayer In Support of Request To Enter Default Against Defendant

Derek Osgood a/k/a "Jayce"'s Default

26. Clerks Entry of Default

Colin Johnson a/k/a "Colin_"'s Default

27. Clerks Entry of Default

28. Service of Summons and Complaint Returned Executed (21 days)

32. Motion to Dismiss (cause or other)
    Doug Crane moves to dismiss entire case on the basis that hackshield should be the one doing the suing and 'everyone else does it so they should be sued too'. No, seriously.

36. Motion to Dismiss (cause or other)
    Process Server's copy of #32. Nothing interesting/new.

37. Stipulation for Protective Order
    Everyone agrees that there may be information best left unreleased to the public revealed in this case and be governed by 37b.

37b. Proposed Protective Order

Looks like anything designated as "confidential" by either party is going to be redacted in all public documents.

39. Protective Order
    Agreement to the terms of the protective order

40. MEMORANDUM in Opposition to Motion

Full name; PLAINTIFFS' OPPOSITION TO DEFENDANT DOUGLAS CRANE'S MOTIONS TO DISMISS FOR FAILURE TO JOIN PARTY
    This is Nexon's 'beyotch, please' to Douglas' attempt to claim hackshield and every other infringing website have to be in the suit too for charges to be brought against them.
    AKA "Why yes, we can in fact sue your sorry ass for your actions without having to sue everyone else simultaneously".
    I was actually eagerly awaiting this one because, frankly, it was the stupidest defense I've seen yet and I can only hope it was a delaying tactic not serious.

42. Response in Opposition to Motion

More slapdown for Duglas Crane;
    PLAINTIFFS' OPPOSITION TO DEFENDANT DOUGLAS CRANE'S MOTIONS TO DISMISS FOR LACK OF PERSONAL JURISDICTION AND/OR TO TRANSFER VENUE

Basic premise; You did it. You know you did it. You already agreed to be tried here. Sucker.
    Very enjoyable read.

42a. Declaration Lloyd Korn
    LLoyd submitted his credentials, company history and a copy of the TOS.

42b. Declaration Marc Mayer
    Other lawyer submitting large chunks of evidence. Interesting to read.

45. Application to Seal
    OOo. Application is to submit spreadsheets full of people who bought cheats and hacks to avoid making their info public.
    Even if granted we could get some interesting info from those.

46. Order on Application to Seal (document)
    Request was granted, those spreadsheets are sealed. I believe they're the two items that show up as "content not available for download". Boo.

Reply (Motion related)

Kind of priceless rebuttal/plea that 'anyone couldve been using my account' because they have the 'log in as other user' feature installed.
    vBulletin logs the IP address of each post... so impersonated posts can be clearly spotted. Wonder if that's been subpoena'd yet.
    My gosh this one is hilarious.

Reply (Motion related)

Doug again tries to get the case dismissed. There's some funny third person speaking in here regarding Doug having run out of money and his lawyers abandoning him.

This case needs popcorn. The shadenfreude is vast.

50. Motion to Dismiss Case

In this one we discover (or at least are told) Doug is in fact the father of lonerboy, who is apparently 18, as he makes yet another plea for the judge to dismiss the case against his son now that he has spent every last dime he had trying to defend to him.

He's going for dismissal on grounds of laches, which is essentially an unreasonable delay in having brough forth the suit, since it's been nearly 5 years now.

Oh, how exciting, we're referenced in this one. Specifically http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=11310 as an example of how nexon has known for years what the core of cheating is/was and where to go for it, but chose not to. Also our consumerist thread is used as evidence of Nexon's poor customer service.
    Also references; http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=3714

This one is pretty long, but an interesting mix of ranting and pleading. Also fun typos. Watch out for those "Rouges".

51. Motion for Order

LOL. Doug filed a motion to fobrid Nexon from using their Terms of Service as evidence since the one they submitted differs from the one actually on their site and most of it is unenforceable scare tactics (funny, I seem to recall having pointed that out before).

52. Service of Summons and Complaint Returned Executed (21 days)

Notice that AMARJOT GILL a/k/a "Alphaanriar", has been given summons by a process server.

53. Order

The court acknowledges both of Doug's motions, to dimiss case, and to throw out the Nexon TOS if case is not dismissed, and requires rebuttal from Nexon no later than September 5, 2012. Doug will be able to rebut the rebuttal till the 26th before the court makes a judgement.

Nice to see the judge isn't being an ass about the attempts.

54. Mail Returned
    55. Mail Returned
    56. Mail Returned
    57. Mail Returned

As best I can make out the summons to Ryan Michael Cornwall failed to find him at the listed address.
    It looks like they marked it "Insufficient Address"

Funnily enough google has this to say about him;
    Ryan M Cornwall
    (817) 386-0138
    3451 River Park Dr, Apt 1112
    Fort Worth, TX 76116-9581

Eesh. That's eerily detailed. Wonder how up to date it is. It also implies he lives there with his mother, Debra.

60. Declaration of Marc E. Mayer in Support of Request to Enter Default Against
    Request for a default judgment against ThePhoneGuy for not replying. A similar request was filed against Jayce & Colin_

66. Order on Motion to Dismiss Case
    The court has rejectected #50. Motion to Dismiss Case. It's been thrown out without prejudice, so it can be attempted again with better reasoning, if possible.
    Disturbing side effect of this is that they're accepting Nexon's Terms of Use, so far.

68. Order
    The court has rejected Dougs attempt to dismiss the case based on the excuses of: hackshield isn't involved, everyone else isn't being sued, and "i dont live in california".
    Highlights of why it was rejected;
    1) HackShield’s absence would not prevent "complete relief" among the existing parties as required
    Furthermore, other district courts have not required that third-parties who create security technologies, be joined as plaintiffs.

2) With respect to the individuals who have provided similar hacking software, the Court finds that they are also not
    "required" parties under either factors of Rule 19(a)(1).
    Copyright infringers are treated collectively as joint-tortfeasors, and as such, plaintiffs may elect to sue whichever tortfeasor they elect to sue. Costello Publ’g Co. v. Rotelle, 670 F.2d 1035, 1043 (D.C. Cir. 1981).
    Plaintiffs are seeking injunctive and monetary relief for Defendant Crane’s own copyright infringement.
    Plaintiffs are not required to join all possible infringers in the same action to afford complete relief here.
    Vague assertions that others have also infringed will not allow Defendant to escape from defending his own actions.

Bolded for my own amusement, since that's one of the southperry appeal process reminders.
    3) Jurisdiction / Venue both waived because he already accepted venue and by participating in court activities he implicitly accepted jurisdiction.

Some more interesting meat from this one regarding forum specific legalities;
    "A lawsuit arises out of a defendant’s contacts with a forum state if there is a
    direct nexus between the cause of action being asserted and the defendant’s activities in the forum."
    "Here, Defendant Crane’s contacts with the forum include the advertisement, distribution, and sale of allegedly infringing products to consumers in this state. These contacts are sufficient to satisfy the arising out of requirement given that "but for" the sale of products to California citizens, Plaintiffs would not have been injured"

So "I dont even live there" doesn't matter if you're selling products to citizens there and hurting a company there.

70. Request for Entry of Default
    Motion to default judgement against "ALPHAAMAR" due to non-reply in 21 days.

70a. Declaration of Marc E. Mayer
    Lawyer repeating same facts.

71. Stipulation for Judgment
    Judgment against Douglas Crane; fined $750,000. Required to immediately cease and desist infringing.

72. Permanent Injunction
    Motion for default judgment against Jayce, Coln, Linnyda, Alphaamar (again?) & "ThePhoneGuy". Nexon requests $575,518.88 damages, plus injunctions.

73. Clerks Entry of Default (CV-37)

77. Motion for Default Judgment
    Motion for default judgment against Jayce, Coln, Linnyda, Alphaamar (again?) & "ThePhoneGuy". Nexon requests $575,518.88 damages, plus injunctions.

77a. Declaration of Marc E. Mayer
    Interesting exbiits, evidence and correspondance

77b. Declaration of Lloyd Korn
    Boring restatement of the claim in entirety. LLoyd must love cut and paste.

77c. Proposed Order
    Nexon's version of what they want the judge to order. (Unofficial / not enacted).

78. Application for Order
    Request for order to file exhibits under seal.

79. Order on Application for Order
    Approval to file under seal.

88. Default Judgment
    Judgement and permanent injunction against the following named defendents:
    WILLIAM "BILLY" KEISTER a/k/a "ThePhoneGuy"; AMARJOT GILL a/k/a "Alphaamar"; DEREK OSGOOD a/k/a "Jayce"; COLIN JOHNSON a/k/a "Colin_"; LINDA LIU a/k/a "linnyda942";

$575,518.88 judgement, plus a permanent injunction to never participate in any further violations of Nexon's IP, including the list of specifically named products and anything like them.

92. Stipulation for Judgment
    Proposed $750,000 judgement against

RYAN MICHAEL CORNWALL a/k/a "Riu Kuzaki" and "Alexandria Cornwall"; YANGYU ZHOU a/k/a "Yang Yu,"; DOUGLAS CRANE a/k/a "DJ" and "Lonerboy"; JEREMY SIMPSON; V.H. a/k/a "Vince"; DOE 1 a/k/a "Bizarro" and "Andrew," DOE 2 a/k/a "Cam1596," and DOES 3 through 10, inclusive,
    (Oh look, Ryan signed this one, who wants his autograph for their wall?)
    Same sort of restrictions as the other group, but wordier.

92b. Proposed Order
    Reiteration of 92.

93. Permanent Injunction
    JUDGMENT AND PERMANENT INJUNCTION AS TO DEFENDANT RYAN MICHAEL CORNWALL
    Court order more or less approving the stipulations of 92 and granting it legal effect. Against Ryan only.

94. Notice of Voluntary Dismissal of Party(ies) (Pursuant to FRCP 41a(1))
    Dismissal without prejudice of the following defendents due to lack of contact:
    (1) YANGYU ZHOU a/lc/a "Yang Yu,"; (2) JEREMY SIMPSON; (3) V.H. a/lc/a "Vince"; (4) DOE 1 a/lc/a "Bizarro" and "Andrew"; (5) DOE 2 a/lc/a "Cam1596"; and (6) DOES 3 through 10, inclusive.
    Last edited by Eos; 2013-12-31 at 05:30 PM. Reason: More added

2. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

all the links have an extra "southperry.net/" in them.

3. Neutron Straight Male

IGN: SheLikesIt
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Buccaneer
    Guild: Fatal <3
    Alliance: A bunch of homos

Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

how can that site continue to run like "business as usual"?

4. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

I laughed.

5. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Nexon doesn't even know the full identity of half of the actual people they are targeting. Just certain staff members like moderators, or ex-staff members that aren't even part of the site anymore.

6. Neutron Straight Male

Thats true, I also heard the owner is from China so how does that work as far as suing the whole site?

7. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

I would assume since the copyright is not just limited to the US, and the fact that Nexon Korea is also part of this lawsuit, It allows them right to go after the people involved regardless of country. Though im not familiar with the intracies of the legal system so dont quote me on that.

8. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Fixed. I missed a / so it tried to prefix the site on top of itself.

That's addressed in the discovery document.

9. Neutron Straight Male

but China wouldn't have to cooperate with them in a sense would they? I mean, I would think they would cooperate but for some odd reason if they didn't want to they wouldn't have to?

@Eos; what page of the discovery document if you don't mind? there's a ton of information

10. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Near the beginning, while naming defendants.

Part of the Nexon TOS btw is agreeing to the venue in which all suits occur. IE: You agree to be sued in California according to California law, regardless where you live and that you will use the California court for any suits you bring against Nexon.

11. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

The endless copy/paste denial?

12. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

The answers to complaints just demolish the compliants.

Side-note: Never knew until now that Nexon America is based in Delaware.

13. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Thats what I was thinkings.

I wonder if they had to actually type that out or if they were able to copy/paste it. L> a video of this court case. would be so hilariously boring listening to them saying "I dont know" over and over.

14. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Although I didn't know this either, it makes sense. Delaware is very corporation friendly. Who knew the state I'm currently living in housed one of the worst companies out there.

15. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

lol, here we go again

those poor trees used for this :'c

16. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

I can't imagine the immense pain and guilt you're feeling being that close to that much evil.

So people, I think from now on everyone should send their complaints or tickets-in-the-form-of-physical-letters to

2711 CENTERVILLE ROAD SUITE 400, WILMINGTON, NEW CASTLE, DE, 19808, phone: (302)636-5401 (thanks google )

instead of to California.

But then again, maybe the theme of killing poor defenseless trees will again persist.

17. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Wow that was horribly boring. I'm sure the actual court transcripts (if they're available? dunno about this stuff) in the future will be much more interesting. Beyond all of the jargon.

18. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

What significance does the delaware office even have?