1. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Failing to evaluate the risks of your actions regardless of your financial/life standing and doing it anyway is what America is all about. Yet he presses on with another potential lawsuit regardless...

2. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this troubling. I'll just copy what I said in a previous conversation;

Essentially for context, others believe that he's essentially trying to do good things for the community to make up his past, I disagree, but I maybe just being a pessimist.

3. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

late to the thread but caught up on most of the (main) details. the fm site, while not malicious in intent, is something that real markets do for customers. Economics calls it a "Perfect Information" system that allows customers to choose the best product for the lowest price.
    think about progressive, or all state insurance companies, and how they let you see and compare prices on the spot. the site will help to stabilize prices of items already being sold. sure, it will help people undercut profits, but that is already being done. in ymck, before black friday stores expired, it took me almost an hour to check every shop for prices. that site, while breaking the tos via bot, scrub or w/e else, is, as it stands, not hurtful to the game at all. In a few minutes, i can search up my items and price them against similar items. Or i can search for that ONE THING i really need (purple powders o.o?) without needing to spend time in every single shop looking for the best price.

as long as he keeps his methods to himself, this could ultimately benefit nexon, even leading to an albeit shaky employment opportunity. maybe a one-time payday for method details. A possible streamline addition to the upcoming auction software that's buggy at best.

i believe the initial problem with rui was after the public release of methods. it's perfectly fine to hack the gibson when all you're doing is proving you could. problems obviously started after he opened the door and everyone began abusing the method.

and about the legal action taken. doesnt this create prescience for other suits against hackers and sites? nexon needed this win to protect future interests. lost revenue is not just about NX sales, its also selling mesos from well-known meso farmer sites, paying staff overtime to fix massive problems (that get broken too quickly) and, any time you take a service offline, you lose revenue. In december (now january) alone, the server down time is significant! nexon even took merchants and permits out of CS. that's like (cough i had to) burger king or mcdonalds removing/blocking the drive thru windows.

I dont really see nexon as the big bad bully cracking down on a poor kid. its more like they got the biggest drug dealer they could find, even if they can't touch the columbian drug farms, a major, and very public, player was hit hard.
    i wonder if *they* could have rolled on Bizarro, would *their* suits be less?

4. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

The problem with this scare tactic, as anyone probably figured in the beginning, suing a bunch of young adults which are essentiall the poorest people in the country by far, won't reall yield them any money. You think they'll ever see that 3/4's of a million dollars from someone making free fansites?

5. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

In theory, it is a good scare tactic, because his program was probably the most well known public one for anyone to use. But it completely failed lol, all they've done is, what has already been said, throw a forever-unpayable bill at a few people. Riu's site is still up, the other site is still up, the other program is still being sold, and as far as I know, the people named in this lawsuit have really been untouched aside from Douglas and Ryan/Alex.

They can't touch the ones that are able to flee to China, and have no idea who Cam really is because of how well he keeps his identity hidden from every single person aside from 2-3 admins on the other site in order to get his pay.

I simply cannot wait for MS2 to get here, because Nexon has upset quite a few people, and those few people are hellbound on destroying that game before it even gets out of beta.

The only reason I don't back Nexon at all in this thing, is because they went after people who had absolutely no hand in creating any program. They were merely moderators of the forum, and Nexon easily found their names, so they tacked them onto the entire thing.

6. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Sounds like more entertainment value than i was expecting to get out of the actual game itself.

7. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

well if they had found bizarro and the other chinese parties, I believe they kept a database of accounts which use their b0t. since the b0t license is locked to a certain account. well just an interesting possibility for you guys to think about.

person who suggested precedent of the case against hackers - prob not. nexon only won since alleged h4ckers ran out of money or gave up

the case is very flimsy. as typhoon said, they were just moderators. if they had backed themselfs and had enough money to pay for lawyers, nexon could not have won. even against riu himself, the case was very flimsy and probably would have failed if he wasn't forced to give up

the damages awarded are far in excess of any possible measure of damage done to the game. due to the construction of the IP law regime. mosf of these people are just kids

8. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

because they are kids, they are not accountable for actions? that's not how laws work; and yes i agree the total fee is much too high, and should be re-evaluated.
    those defending themselves are having a much harder time as nexon keeps making headway. this is not an underdog story who ran out of money and lost. and while he should have started with jurisdiction argument, i believe that as soon as he showed up, he would eventually lose. having more money than your opponent is also a strategy, and both sides kept asking for delayed appearances.

9. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Rui apparently is like mid 20's. Most of these people are actually the 18 threshold.

A minor being sued for this would probably be an entirely different story, maybe not even entertained.

10. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

another program on another site is locked to an account, BT is locked to your hardware ID...or used to be.

11. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

It's the sole reason I'm sticking around until the release of the beta. I mean if at this point in MS1's lifespan, there are working scripts that brute force PICs, it'll be no surprise when MS2's legs are taken out right off the bat.

12. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

Yes, but you have to remember that the market in an online game is not going to end up the same as one in real life. There are more controls available in an online market, and the existence of the online market itself is a profit motive for Nexon. They sell owls, remember. Nexon doesn't reap monetary benefit from the meso price, they reap a benefit from the existence of market activity.

13. Default Re: Nexon America Inc. v. Ryan Michael Cornwall

My first comment on this site is that i hope nexon shuts down that one maple hacking site who's name I am too stupid to know not to try to say because clearly I'm too dumb to read the rules on sharing hacking related links i really can't stand all the wanna be hackers that site has and the people who run that site are no better i mean it really ticks me off to see a bunch of little kids thinking their elite hackers because they vip cheats or leech content from others.

I've spent 13 years studying Computer Security and Ethical Hacking and i tell you one thing real hackers won't waste their time messing with a little kids game. The money these littles kids think they make buy duping and scamming people is chump change compared to what some of these hackers i know make were talking $10k+ finding security holes in facebook firefox and google stuff just to name a few.

These kids hear on the news about lulzsec and anonymous doing attacks and they think they can become a hacker in 24 hours when it takes years because in the world of cyber security you will always be learning something know.

Highly doubt any of them know how to operate a command line operating system like unix or linux without a graphical interface.

14. GLADIGATORS
    usa

I can't hack and i know how to do this somewhat competently though. At least for my own purposes. They aren't really related.