Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Look it seems Nexon is greedy even to hire a competent lawyer. I just had to read a little info from here about the trial to see that. In a past time I would have been with Nexon on this as there is no way to justify others for stealing their property, but right now, all it looks like is an attempt to bring back potential customers by force and raise their profit, instead of luring them back by improving the quality of the game with something more than patches which only work as bandaids over an infected wound.

I think it was Valve the one that, when asked about their stance about SOPA said "the best way to fight against piracy is to provide a better service then the pirates". So much truth in that.

Anyway, is there any data about the lawsuit Nexon started against that famous group of hack developers? Even if the game crumbled down and years passed since the last time I played, I'd still dance to hearing they all got sentenced for this much or even more.

2. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

That's basically the same argument people would want to use when fighting against copyright infringement accusations for music or video downloads. Just because you have 1000+ songs in your computer doesn't mean you would have ever bought them if you didn't have access through pirating. Case in point:

3. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/c...nwall/summary/

All they've been doing recently is adding in regular moderators they can get info about to their "list", but still don't even know info about some of the current admins.

4. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

You don't show, you get a default judgment. That's what actions the court took. You don't get a slap on the wrist and "please show up next time, we'll reschedule at your convenience".

You could actually go read the trial document; http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/0...91-ODW-PJW.pdf

What I found interesting is the court rejected Nexon's "proof" about income from UMaple, saying that the paypal, alertpay and google adsense accounts that the defendents had setup were not demonstrated to contain profits solely from UMaple or even in conjunction with. "Plaintiff only satisfactorily proves that $398.98 in profits from Google was reasonably related to Kumar’s infringement." lol.

So... Denied the request for the 60K in profits, reduced it down to $400, but then applied the statutory minimum damages of several million per the "In lieu of actual damages and profits" clause of the DMCA.

Nexon also got shot down on their attorney's fees.

ie: Your sorry ass did no work and won by default, put your money grubbing paws elsewhere. They gave them 30 days to submit an itemized invoice of attorneys fees proving actual cost.

I don't agree with the theory that 17,938 accounts equals that many members or that many cases of infringement, but alas, the defendant didn't bother to contest it. Tempted to pay for the exhibits just to see what was submitted.

Actually as of yesterday you'll note they've asked for default judgments against the identified defendants, just as they did in this case.

5. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Looks like these guys actually intend to fight back.

Also, having read more of that actual court document this seems like it should have been horribly embarrassing for Nexon. This judge really ripped into their pomegranatety lawyers.

6. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Yes, yes they did. It was great comedy.

Have you read the 19 page rebuttal? I'm still debating getting it, but more inclined to wait for the reply that rips it to shreds.

7. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Nope! You should get it and sum it up for the masses.

8. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Eh, considering it.

9. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Maybe Nexon thought that the case was so easy to win that there was no point preparing or working for it. See stupid Nexon? this is what happens when you decide to save money and hiring a cheap lawler.

Thinking about that... is it in any of the pages about the trial, the reason why the defendant didn't show up? Maybe it was Nexon's that kept thim from showing up, sounds pretty convenient considering how bad they did

10. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

They didn't just not show up, they didn't reply at all. They were sent several notices of the legal proceedings and failed to defend themselves in any way.

11. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

So probably they're in a foreign country and couldn't care less, or they're 15-year-old kids who're sticking their heads in the sand.
    Either way Nexon's not gonna see a penny out of this.

12. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Never rule out "stupid college kid who wasn't aware the rules of the real world have actually begun to apply to them".

13. Acorn Overlord Male
    Spiral's Avatar [Maple News Admin]
    [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ManaSpiral
    Server: GAZED
    Job: Fire/Poison
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Exactly. I could understand suing OdinMS and the other source creators, but this is a bit ridiculous. As they say when considering an Intellectual Property lawsuit, is it worth it? Was it really worth suing probably a few kids for $3.4 million dollars over a measly sum that is probably exaggerated? We all know the DMCA is bullpomegranate and needs to be thrown out and replaced with something that is sane and fair. I think Nexon underestimates the amount of damage they do to their reputation by filing lawsuits against children/teenagers/young adults. Looks like someone is taking a cue from the record labels.

14. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

~$45,000,000... I don't remember exactly what they made last quarter, but isn't that close to approximately half of what they made in that quarter? They really think a private server caused that much in potential profit losses? Pfffft.

Ahahaha, from reading the trial document, it seems even the courts are tired of Nexon's bull. "These 252 pages of documents, but where's the evidence? Haha, no."
    Hell, they actually didn't even want to give them the statutory minimum? Wow. DEM Nexon lawyers. Although, $3,000,000 is a windfall for Nexon? Huh?

Lol, I bet Nexon is just going to create an even more outrageous "attorney and staff hourly wages" on their affidavit. Geezus, they are so greedy.

15. Won't Be Coming Back Straight Male

Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Blade Master
    usa

Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Cause this is Nexon's first time sueing a pserver, right?

-eye roll-

Examples my ass.

16. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Read the whole document and feel the courts would have given Nexon nothing if they legally could.

17. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Ignorance is bliss, I won't ruin it for you

18. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Never heard of this private server, I'm surprised they're not going for the REALLY big private servers out there.

19. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

Consider your statement and put some basic facts together.

• They have multiple suits already in progress.
    • In order to sue anyone they have to be able to identify who they're suing
    • In order to do a discovery process they have to have legal representation where the infringement is occurring or have some other means of specifically identifying the infringing parties, who also must be in an area they have legal representation or can pursue legal action.

20. Default Re: Default judgement of $3.6 million awarded to Nexon in the case against pserver

I gotta say, though I'm no lawyer, perhaps if the defendant had showed up, they could have at least pleaded some case. I'm looking up some anti-circumvention stuff, and for the most part, it talks about removing locks and copy-protection and whatnot, but doesn't mention anything about connecting to a different IP address other than the one of the original copyright holder. It seems that they could be able to argue that not every 17K registered user is an anti-circumvention charge against them since the only thing each player needs is a new client, whereas all the real work goes into developing the server source code.