View Poll Results: Should the author have been fired?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 12.90%
  • No

19 61.29%
  • Unsure

8 25.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

The author is not ostracizing people, he's just saying what he thinks should be done, no one is obligated to follow his [poor] advice. As said by Eos, everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion on subjects like that so we can know which position each person takes and how to react to it, the only thing worse than open racism is knife-behind-your-back racism. In Brazil we have mostly closet racism and it's pretty awful.
    Also nice generalization of the people in this thread, it really gets you extra points. I won't even go into how this affects me personally.
    Last edited by Shidoshi; 2012-04-12 at 02:10 AM.

2. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

I totally agree, and I believe this heavily supports the article Fiel linked, the first portion of it in particular.

3. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Unfortunately pretending to be stupid and actually being stupid have approximately the same negative impact on societal contribution

Pretending may actually be worse though... a stupid person can occasionally come up with a truly genius nugget now and then whereas someone pretending would be tempted to omit it for the sake of their front.

4. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Society is a joke.

Every action has a long term run. The best you can wish for is to lead a better world for the next ones. But since all humans are selfish pricks, they'll just keep doing the same stupid things to try to fix themselves for the present time, completely forgetting the future generations. Close term solutions, for stupidly huge long term problems. You can't expect to fix a problem so deep with a pair of simple measures, because most racists will only become MORE racist.

If our ancestors (worldwide) weren't so imbecile, we wouldn't have racism, terrorism, discrimination, or social classes.

Instead, everyone will try to hoard as much power as they can, until they die, just making things worse for everyone but itself.

The sad part is that we all are part of that very same circle of stupidity.

5. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

There's so much wrong in this post I don't know where to begin

6. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Ask yourself.

How would the world be if people hadn't slaughtered native americans, made black people slaves, made the crusades, or just considered to think ahead of their own belly.

And now, in our society, think about the air we all breathe. We polute it like if it was normal. When are we changing it? Try to have a guess. What about racism? think it's improving in one generation, really? What about woman equality? And the social classes, everything's fixable in a generation or two, isn't it? What about wars for money? All the hate that keeps sprouting from the things I already typed? The main thing to consider, though, is: What things are being made for the future generations? Do you REALLY see people trying to change the world? And by people I don't mean the people on the street. I mean the people who actually has control over them.

Our society is already rotten. I already came to accept it.

7. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

@Alloy;
    >Blame the past
    >Say that the solution is easy/fast
    >Blame society
    >Give up

Yeah, that's surely the way to go and change things.

8. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

For years I've hoped for a mass extinction event to occur; it's really the only hope this planet, then later this solar system, then later this galaxy, then later this universe, then later perhaps the entire multiverse, has for survival. The best news in my entire life was the space program being put on hiatus; once we can travel from this planet on a regular basis, we will quite literally spread like a plague, destroying everything in our wake like the horrible virus that we are, and delaying that until after we are wiped out is about the only way to divert this inevitability. Hopefully something comes along that kills all of us off before we resume it, but I won't hold my breath; horrible events have a ton of "plot armor", and there can't be anything worse than the destruction of all of creation.

9. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

The universe is completely apathetic to our "destruction" of it. The only ones suffering from it are ourselves so a complete wiping of the human race wouldn't exactly solve the problem. You can't save the human race from destruction by destroying it.

10. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Nope, not saying that. I'm just saying that, while it's not easy, nobody's going to do a damn thing. I'm not giving up, I'm not a racist, and I'll still be against it, and I'll try to do my best.

What I'm saying is an accurate prediction. Or do you REALLY think there's a chance?

If we find extraterrestial life, and they were similar to us in thinking, there's 2 possible outcomes:

1- We are more advanced, we wipe them out to gather resources, native american style, possibly with survivors, but no power.
    2- They are more advanced, they wipe us out to gather resources, native american style, possibly with survivors, but no power.

This is what 99% of the experts seem to agree on. No surprises.

11. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

You mean fight against natural instinct that evolution has apparently passed along in genetics? It's not a human thing, it's an animal thing. Sure the reasons and the complexity varies on intelligence but majority of the animal kingdom has done the same, just at a smaller scale. Hell monkeys wage war on eachother all the time. That's over goddam tree's, our's is to justify our existance.

There is so many factors here it's hard to argue it. Nature has a delicate balance, we found an efficient means for travel which increases efficiency, provides convinience and is/was affordable/plentiful. Energy itself produces negative consequences, as does every action, yet without it, you wouldn't be able to access the internet, the greatest source of information. It's not greed, if it were greed we wouldn't be looking at alternatives.

You can lie to yourself all you like but if you see a person a million sub concious decisions sprout out on how to act on that specific person. It's a defense mechanism. Not everone is a stereotypical of whatever circumstance, but that stereotype came from a truth. Some people just logically blanket it to keep themselves safe, others are open minded to diversity, but that leaves risk.

Currency can be in all forms, would you rather live in the archaic kingdom, live without a leaders? All those things can be applied outside of our species. For one there is the whole food chain thing.

Are you willing to sacrifice your efforts and rewards simply for the next generation? What about your needs? Your survival? Your priorities. When does that wave of "everything for everyone but me" stop? Does the generation that gains the rewards supposed to use the resources themselves or continue to pass it on? Who get's it? It's an empty life. Then again there are stuff called estates to pass down the person's accomplishments to someone else, so a good majority do think of the next generation.

To be frank, all you did is regurgitate what you see on television, what your parents tell you, and what you see on the general news. You talk like you reached some realization, and if you did, I feel kind of bad because you're kind of late to the party, that was like back in middle school lol

12. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

I never said anything about saving the human race from destruction. Quite the opposite, in fact. I believe beyond any shadow of a doubt that, if we are not destroyed, we will destroy absolutely everything in existence. I know that planets don't care that we are destroying them and have no feelings, but what right does any organism have to do such a thing?

13. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

I'm just trying to make a point, by the way, not saying I have the absolute truth. In case it sounded that way.

14. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Evolution doesn't remove instinct. Why do your palms sweat? So that you can climb trees faster when you feel nervous or threatened. A bigger brain that doesn't make those type of conscious decisions will have no impact on how you react based off impulse from instinct.

lol. I could go buy an electric car right now, but they cost nearly double. Is that greed? No that's basic supply and demand. If I recall some country in Europe actually made all cars switch over to electric. So +1 for human race I guess? It certaintly isn't petro's call nor doing that makes electric costly either.

No the boss is being careful in an ignorant way. He blankets the stereotype and removes all risk of having to deal with said stereotype. Notice how I said ignorately.

It's not like we can immediately change to cleaner alternatives. There are by far just as many negatives as positives. Hell most of california is giving away solar panels for ridiculous prices. Everyone is trying to convert but there are a lot of obstacles you and I don't know about. Is it greed? No it's lack of proffesional experience in those fields.

The sad part that majority of humans do think like you, they also depend on others to solve the problems for them. Then you ridicule bigger business'/government/leaders out of instinct with a very biased, unresearched perspective of why it's taking so long.

15. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

I'm into alternative energies applied to architecture. I am actually trying by myself. And I do know about those things. And I do know how easy it is to make them. And I do know about what makes them not happen as fast as they should. And I've seen Hydrogen motors applied on projects that work fairly well. By the way, the only emmisions it gives are pure water. You yourself said it, it's supply and demand, but also there's a country who made the switch without problems. Why doesn't everyone do it? As for the renewable energies on cities: Yeah, that makes sense, sadly, because to install proper instalations you need a wide area, and building blocks just can't provide enough energy/hot water for the whole building... Too many people per surface. And you need to avoid shadows projecting into your panels from nearby buildings. It should work wonders for a single family house though, where you can even get money back instead of spending by selling electricity to the company.

The money's on petrol right now, though. For now. It's been going up in price ricidulously nowadays, so that's why they are switching. And I'll keep saying it.

Then again, I'm on a country where it doesn't really matter who you vote, they end up being incompetent one way or the other, getting us bankrupt in a war, or without a chance for a stable job. Yet people here keep voting them, because everyone sees A or B. And then everyone is angry because they did it wrong again. Maybe it's just my country, but I get angry at such nonsense. And that in my city, the historical center of the town should be traffic free like most towns, but instead, they have, so you can have an idea, 80% or more of the bus lines going through the town hall square. The sound levels are waaaay above what's permited (around 20 dB higher), but nobody even cares anymore. And maybe it's just me, that I have a good sense of smell, but I just CAN'T breathe properly here. There's nearly no proper garden near here, so it gets quite annoying. If people get used to it, how are they even going to want to change it?

16. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Hydrogen and electric cars depend on whatever it is the country uses to produce them. If the country uses predominantly Coal/Gas/Petrol to produce electricity/hydrogen you are gaining absolutely nothing by using electric cars. It's a stupid argument.

We are going off-topic. I can discuss this for all hell, it's part of my formation as a chemical engineer.

17. Default Re: Should he have been fired?

Indeed there are, that's why I avoided mentioning the turbines, they hurt the enviroment significantly, and I mention hydrogen cars instead of electric. But the main problem about panels is that it's not that good in the short term, but only in the long term...

And that was my point from the very beginning. If we took that measure now, our next generation would have something less to worry about.

Sorry for hijacking the thread... Time flies when you talk about things you like :p

But yeah, if you end up burning petrol to generate "clean" energy, it's just plain stupid. It's either full mindset change or none at all.