1. Cash0 Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

So with the new hackshield that was just implemented, i now can't open MS on the Windows i run using Parallels. I believe that if i restart into Windows using Bootcamp, it'll work (if my memory serves correctly, Dragon Nest has this issue). This is however, quite unacceptable. I'd be really loath to give up the convenience of running Mac and Windows simultaneously. What, if anything, can i do?

2. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

Bootcamp runs on native code whereas Parallels is run inside a virtual machine. I'm surprised you even got it to work on Parallels for that long.

I don't think there's much that you can do. You might be able to find a different VM to use, but I don't know which one that could be.

3. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

So after doing some research, i found that around early July, they did this same thing to VMWare users. At that point, Parallels still worked, and stayed working all the way up to now (though i was not even playing at the time, so i ended up blissfully unaware). Apparently, there was a fix involving changing a couple of lines in the registry code corresponding with whatever the hackshield was checking to see if the machine is virtual. It follows that there might be something to do to fix this situation. Anyone out there who can help?

4. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

Run a registry monitor (like the old one from sysinternals) and see what it's looking at to get ideas.

5. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

I've got class right now, so when i'm done i'll try to figure out how to do that (i'm sort of a tech noob).

6. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

That sysinternals you mentioned seems to still exist. Here's the site: http://live.sysinternals.com/

What exactly should i be looking at? Not sure which process to monitor and with what. Sorry to be such a bother. :X

7. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

I'm aware it still exists, it was bought by microsoft, but regmon no longer exists there and process explorer that replaced it will throw a hackshield error unless they've changed it lately.

You'd have to find a legacy site to download regmon from and risk it, and once you got it you're not technical enough to know what to do with it, and even if you did figure it out none of us knows exactly what to do with the keys it was looking at, since those keys obviously exist for a reason.

8. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

Alright, i suppose i'll look elsewhere and keep hoping, then. Thanks for your time.

9. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

Here's the instruction to get VMWare working. The registry part is in there too. Still works for me on PC btw.

http://www.basilmarket.com/forum/210...ns_inside.html

10. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

Oh, thanks, but i don't think it would work with Parallels. Or would it?

11. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

I've followed that guide and it does not work for me (it used to). Maplestory: Not usable on Windows 7 or within a VM (xp, vista, 7) As of right now, I'm not sure if something changed recently or if maplestory just hates windows 7 + AMD cpus. I really don't want to put an intel machine together just to test maple's stability (vm or not).

12. Default Re: Issue with opening MS on a virtual machine

I've been running Maple within VMs consistently since the new block was implemented. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with my guest OSes being Windows XP Professional SP3. I didn't add any of the suggested lines to my .vmx like most places suggest, but I did do registry edits to trick Nexon's VM-proofing. That being said, I am running an Intel Core i7 processor in my machine, though I doubt that'd make a particular difference within this context.