IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Default Maplestory Myths - know any?

I made this thread on Basil hoping to educate the community there and dispel common myths. It's basically a spin-off of Eos' thread, but slightly more focused on in-game happenings. Because Southperricans tend to be pretty darn knowledgeable about the game, I'd like to ask y'all two things.

1) Do you know any myths that I can add to the thread? Proof to back up any potential myths is required before I can add it to the thread itself.

2) Does anyone have anything to add to the 100% debate? I have extremely basic experience in programming (as in I spent two months during the summer at a community college learning Java), so I can't add anything constructive myself except my interpretation of others' posts.

Thanks for reading this and thanks especially if you can contribute something (credit will be given, of course).
    Last edited by MrTouchnGo; 2012-03-24 at 12:43 PM.

2. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

People getting hacked are just myths.

3. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Damnit the one time I'd really like a downvote feature on SP.

4. Deluxe Refrigerator
    usa

Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Cleared up. Thanks.
    Last edited by MrTouchnGo; 2012-03-24 at 12:21 AM. Reason: confusion

5. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Sorry I thought it was implied at the first comment lol.

6. Deluxe Refrigerator
    usa

irrelevant post

But any contributions would be helpful.
    Last edited by MrTouchnGo; 2012-03-24 at 12:24 AM. Reason: irrelevant

7. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

All I can really add, is the 2 vids of the same guy booming the earring with a 100% is both over done and stupid I highly doubt thats real, and the kms vid I'm sure they just added the 100% pot scroll in and we all know nothing works as intended when its first released.

8. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

White lady of Perion does exist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...aM4kXMM#t=201s

It's in Henesys though.

9. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Obvious stupid ones like the White Lady of Perion.
    Junk scrolling, GM's, legit 608's/301's/27's, exp/drop rates on KMS are different.
    Dunno.
    Can't think of a lot.

10. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Actually if you do it right, it can help you see the pattern in the RNG to help know when a scroll may/may not pass

11. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

I actually took you off ultra-ignore for a second to see what the hell you were saying.
    Not worth it, not a bit.

12. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Mushmom dropping Illbis.

13. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

I am shootfromthehip on Basilmarket

I call bull on the scrolls failing to pass.

The problem with the 1 = .9999... argument is that it works in algebra and geometry but does NOT make sense in the realm of computers. 1 and 0.9999... are fundamentally different data types (int and float). Also, any programmer that's worth his salt will NEVER EVER EVER use a float in a comparison operation. It's stupid to do it, and will cause weird runtime anomalies. (For an example of runtime anomalies look here. If you want to compare a float, use Epsilon Tolerance comparison)

If Nexon Korea's programming is any good, they will generate an INT from 0 to 100 (which runs hundreds of times faster than generating a float between 0 and 1) and check to see if that number is less than or equal to the success rate. If so, then the scroll passes. Because the success rate on the 100% scroll is 100 (it's a packed integer in the WZ files), the rolled number will always be less than or equal to the success rate. Notice that there is no float comparisons here. A 100% scroll cannot fail.

I actually have the BMS source code. I could check this.

EDIT: Also that idiot never actually proved in any way, shape, or form that he was right. He never showed any code that would prove that a 100% scroll could fail. He just got all high and mighty that he knows what it means to program then declared himself right because he knows more than everyone else. What a loser.

Here's the source code.

Last edited by Fiel; 2012-03-24 at 02:23 AM.

14. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: Combobro
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 230
    Job: Aran
    Guild: SolarWinds
    Alliance: Dominion
    Arizona

It used to drop illbis pre-bb. I remember seeing them drop before.

15. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

I'm not saying failing 9 10%s will make the 10th work I'm saying failing/passing scrolls will help you judge whether a scroll is likely to pass/fail its like counting cards in black jack you won't win every hand but you will do better in the long run then someone who doesn't

16. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Not the same thing.

In counting cards, you are counting a stream of nonrandom, finite cards. You know what's in the deck.

Look up at the code I posted up there. God does not keep record of what you do in the universe. Rolling for a scroll chance is an independent event separate of any other events. The code up there does not check your previous scroll successes.

17. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Thanks for the source code Fiel.
    I already tried explaining in the thread with a very simple piece of code how Izama's post is in no way proof and hopefully yours actually being source code will help even more.

18. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Except in maple you can draw the same "card" twice, seeing people gach the same item twice(same exact stats) getting a super rare drop from two mobs at the same time.
    I mine purple veins with a wrench/regular pick, there are 4 option wis,luk,lid,fail obviously I don't want fail and I have so much lid/luk I only want wisdom. when using wrench u can get 1/2/3 ores obviously I don't want 1. I am able to mine wisdom ore pretty effectively, it isn't 100% but I walk away with 20+more wisdom ore then any other because I can predict the RNG.

19. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

That isn't the same "card". There are not a finite number of items in gachapon. There are a finite number of cards in a deck of playing cards. Drawing from gachapon is a random event that has no bearing on any other event.

Have you seen the server side odds on gachapon? I could show them to you. It's not a list of items that refreshes every once in a while.

20. Default Re: Maplestory Myths - know any?

Go to any mob that drops any equip with 4+ different lines of stats, and try to get an item that's a copy of the first. obviously there is the chance of people getting the same item twice of course it is really low, but when the only occurrence of this, is when people gach so fast you see the XXX gained item from gach at the same second, there is obviously some flaw in nexon's rng and it is exploitable.