Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

I'm currently on my way to becoming a chef - I still have a long way to go though.
    I like fooling around with weird combinations of ingredients and molecular structure.
    so today my mom came around with 2 pounds of dry ice, and I decided to make ice cream with it.

bacon and banana it is

I have a video up, and I am editing it so you can hear some nice music instead of me and my mom chatting, lol.
    it is recorded with my iPhone, so I need to flip it(which is in process already).

here's what you need:
    • milk
    • sugar
    • banana
    • bacon
    • eggs
    • dry ice

(I have no precise measures, taste it while you assemble it)
    how to do it:

you put milk and sugar in a pot.
    while it gets to the boiling point, you cook the bacon on a pan.
    you will want to make the bacon have a gold-brown color, but not cooked so hard that it is stiff.
    when the bacon is done, you take it and put it in the pot with milk and sugar, so you can extract the bacon flavor while boiling the sugar and milk together.
    tip: scrape off the excess bacon fat from the pan into the milk
    you let it simmer for about 5-6 minutes.
    while it simmers, you take eggs(~2 eggs to 500ml of milk) and whisk them together with a fork.
    peel banana(s)(I used one) and cut it in chunks into the milk.
    tip: use a hand blender in the pot, to quickly mush the bananas(you can wait a little and use a whisk to mush it out).
    let the banana simmer in the pot for about 3 minutes.
    pour the eggs in and heat them just until they start scrambling, then pull it off the stove and pour it through a sieve., so that you get chunks and whatnot out of the ice cream mass.
    you are now ready to apply dry ice.

do NOT fool around with dry ice, it is -78 degrees celcius, it will freeze-burn your skin.

put it in little by little and stir until you get the consistency you want.
    I chose to get mine nice and creamy because I want to save it for later, but for immediate serving, you want to freeze it harder.

the result will taste mainly like banana, but have a suddle taste of bacon afterwards

my next project will be liquorice-raspberry ice cream.

2. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

...how much calories does it have?

3. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

I don't know, but I'd work out for a week for eating a spoon of it.
    OOPS I thought I was at the speak easy.

R> thread relocation pls

4. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

My god the song in that video....WHY?

5. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

trust me, it's the best one youtube offered, and I can't work out anything with vegas, simply because I don't know how

6. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Dry ice is so cool haha. That's an interesting combo though o.o it tasted fine? I'm not sure I'd eat it lol.

>Also, with Sony vegas, all you need to do is drag and drop your video onto it.
    >To add music, go up to insert>insert audio track.
    From there find the music file you want, and drag and drop it onto the audio track space

:D

7. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

I pineappleing love dry ice xd there's so much you can do with it.
    yeah, it tastes fine. if I were to use it, it's an ice cream I would eat with pancakes, I am pretty sure it will do well. :p
    it has a very special taste on its own, but banana is the dominating flavor in the ice cream, and then there is the hint of bacon in the end. I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

8. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

o.o

im not sure how bacon/banana ice cream would taste.... I would have gone for banana/peanut butter.

9. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Wouldn't deglazing the pan (that had the bacon) with some of the milk mixture be a better idea than scraping it off?
    In that process, you could probably have some caramelization of the sugars in the milk and the added sugar for an added flavor.

10. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

the milk would split if it went on a pan that hot.(I used high-fat milk or whatever you call it)
    I wouldn't say it would give more taste or anything, if you have a decent pan, you can get everything off without any type of hassle.
    I guess it's a preference of method.

and lactose doesn't caramelize, it just burns.

11. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Never experimented with milk before, but I just thought of it because in Mexico they have something called cajeta which is some type of milk reduction. Don't know what other things are added into it to make it do that, but it tastes delicious.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajeta

12. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

I am now reminded of the time one of my friends stole a Nacho Cheese dorito from me and dipped it in a jar of nutela that he brought to school. He said they were delicious. He was right.

13. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

that's milk and sugar boiled under pressure.

14. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Oh, then ignore my posts.
    Can't wait to see how the liquorice-raspberry combo turns out for you.

EDIT: To bad I could never try making this without goofing off during the dry ice step. XD

15. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

xd
    I'm going to make it tomorrow, and I am pretty excited too!

you guys can give me weird stuff to combine into ice cream while I have dry ice.
    I have for like, 10 liters of ice cream so go nuts!

16. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Berry-pepper ice cream? Use some mixed berries like blue/straw/raspberry and a type of pepper like a jalapeno or something for a nice kick.

17. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard that pepperfruits contain an enzyme that ruins the proteines in egg, so when I get to the freezing part, I get a split mass of lumpy flavored eggs and a crystalized ice cube, but I'll give it a shot :p

if anything, I could try strawberry and black pepper(the spice), they go very well together.

18. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Chocolates and peppers.