Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Oh wow, I never knew that. So would replacing the pepper with another type of food that gives heat such as a type of ginger or a type of mustard be a better choice?

2. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Blood Orange and Cinnamon.
    Steak and... tangerine.

3. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

The blood orange and cinnamon combo sounds nice.

4. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Most definitely, ginger could work well with apple I think :o

5. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

More of a banana and maple syrup (the cheap stuff that was thick rather than the expensive stuff that is runny) guy myself, but this doesn't sound bad. Oh childhood and the random combinations we made.

How about... peach-pistachio with vanilla extract?

6. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

that would work too! the fat-ish nutty flavor will go well with the midly acidic and sweet flavor, I think.

I'm currently working on a dessert, but I am having trouble with what to accompany my main part in the dish with, and you guys might be of help, as the american-ish cuisine has some rather.. weird combinations, that we don't have here in Denmark.(we're not that americanized yet, no offense)

anyway

vanilla parfait coated in soft chocolate sprinkled with pistachio dust, laid on top of caramelized pecan nuts.
    then, I want to make an apple, pineapple and rasp/strawberry gel(seperately for colors).
    blend the gels so they get creamy, and make traffic light-ish tops 3 places on the plate.

I need a mild acid on the plate that comes from a fruit, possibly a pickled plum?
    and for decoration, I'm thinking of a tuilles. tuilles is a thin, sweet bisquit

I don't know how to make it yet. I want it to go in a cirkle over the vanilla parfait(it's going to have a thin cylinder form, middle finger size, maybe a bit bigger).

se the circle things on the white item, behind the swiss tuilles? that's what I'm trying for..

picture credits go to the winner of
    Bocuse d'Or 2011

7. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Omg...I love you!

Maybe lemon zest and strawberries.

8. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

lemon contains bromelin... messes with proteines ;_; but I'll give it a shot :p

9. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

Jack In The Box has bacon flavored shakes. I tried some with my friend and they taste quite interesting.

10. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

my dry ice vaporized..
    I'll return with more awkward ice cream when I get more(friday?)

11. Default Re: I've made bacon-banana ice cream.

It's only dry ice... I work with plenty of it everyday. As long as you don't handle it with too wet or dry hands you'll be fine, but your shirt/apron will do the trick just right. I've been making ice cream with an ice cream maker, boy it's useful. Getting the anglaise (custard) right is hard.....

A proper blender is most recommended for banana, because when I tried to make banana ice cream the other day, hand-mashing gave a great deal of problems with the sieve. Freeze the banana before you blend it too.

For your acid, I would go for either 1) (pickled) plum or peach or, if you can handle the colour matching, kiwi (difficult...?) ; or 2) make your gels sour e.g.: red and blue (from fresh strawberries and blueberries). I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do with the gels from what you said, so I can only offer as much. Can't help you with the tuilles, sorry.

Or... you know what... what about yoghurt for the acid? Handle with care. I was about to say sour cream, but seems to disagree with vanilla. All that I've suggested seem a little difficult to go with the vanilla and the caramelised nuts... arrgh.

Here's an interesting but random thought for you, something a little japanese. Black sesame ice cream and white sesame ice cream. One scoop of each, and you can have enormous ways to plate it.

Keep us updated. You've made me really interested (for someone who knows nuts about making food).

Hadriel
    [I should say that I lean on the "Beauty lies in simplicity" school of thought]