Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default A heartfelt plea

Despite having more traffic than ever, despite having a more active and thriving community than ever and higher even than many of the sites that used to be bigger than us, Southperry is making less revenue than almost since the day it opened.

After analyzing logs and researching traffic to try to come up with a reason for why/how this could be, it became evident that something is amiss.

In February Southperry had ~4 million pageviews within the actual forums themselves.
    It had only 2.5m Ad impressions.

Considering there are 3 ads per page, logically there should be nearly 12m ad impressions. Even accounting for the people exempt from ads, ultra donators & moderators, there should still be well over 10m ads.

This discrepancy is alarming because ad revenue is what keeps this site going.
    Blocking ads, or ignoring them, is almost second nature to most of us by now, but doing so here means you're contributing to the eventual demise of this site, because without the revenue from Ads Fiel doesn't get paid, and without that pay he can't afford to keep paying for a host for his extractions, let alone waste time trying to improve them and provide them to us.

I'm not asking you to click any ads you're not interested in, that would be click fraud and is absolutely the last thing we want, but we are asking you to White List ads on Southperry and at least give them a chance. Even if you never see anything that interests you just having them enabled counts incrementally towards our impressions, lets google see info about our subject material and who watches it and helps them better target ads that you and others might be more interested in and shows off how valuable of a traffic source we are.

Loose has helped create a banner to display for those of you who are blocking ads, to help remind you who's really being hurt by blocking them;

Hopefully some of you will see it, remember, and fix it.

It's a concept as old as time; If you really like us, show it by supporting us and helping us keep going.

Thank you for your time.

White Listing Tutorials
    Spoiler

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Disabled ABP on this site between the short seconds that the banner went up and this thread was made.

3. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

just for you EoS. I'll whitelist ads on SP

4. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Aww, the image is too adorable for me to resist.
    Done.

5. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

I'm on the same boat with this guy.

6. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Ahh but it's so much work, to walk all the way over to the top right corner of screen.

7. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

If i could white list MSPA Ads, i guess i could do it here too.

But dont expect me to click or anything, i really do not like ads and find them totally obnoxius.

8. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

If I could see the ads, I would whitelist.

9. Polar Bear Gay Male
    IGN: danielcatu
    Server: yellonde
    Level: 121
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Vendetta
    Farm: 765pro
    chile

but the chinchillas dissapeared when I dissable abp...
    I want chinchillas here too !

10. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Wait so is that banner showing up only to people who have ads blocked? I don't have ad block or anything like that, so I'm somewhat confused about that part. It shows up for me instead of the ads.

Hopefully revenue goes up from this post, SP dying would leave me without any actually decent boards to go to.

11. Donator Male
    IGN: LnFearNFaith
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 20x
    Job: Loladin/LolDrK
    Guild: Irresistible
    Farm: Amerish
    New_York

Just white listed ad's for Southperry.

12. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Were you seeing ads before those banners appeared and now you're seeing the banner instead? Cause you should've had ads wherever the banners are now.

It should only show up for people who are not seeing Ads and are in a user-group that should be seeing them.

If you're not using an active blocker you may have used something like the old kazaa super-trick or similar to edit your hosts file and block all ad networks.

Doing that will still trigger this banner because all it looks at is the fact the ads aren't present to determine if it should be.

13. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Me too. That banner is more effective than those starving children in TV ads. Also, the ads are remarkably unobtrusive.

14. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

You want to see starving chinchillas?

15. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Well how could I resist those adorable chinchillas? White-listed.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

I've never blocked ads on Southperry, but I've also never clicked an ad except by mistake. Sorry, just not interested in either Asian Women or an MBA...

17. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

Weird. Most of our ads should be game related. Makes me wonder what threads you spend all your time in...

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

I'm sure you can easily find out.

Edit: now I got an ad for facebook emoticons. I don't even have a facebook account, much less one linked to Southperry.
    The ads seem completely random.

19. Default Re: A heartfelt plea

I was seeing ads before, so I don't know what is making the banner appear. I haven't played with my settings nor do I have any plugins at all on my firefox. Clearing out everything didn't fix it either. This is weird.

20. Polar Bear Gay Male
    IGN: danielcatu
    Server: yellonde
    Level: 121
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Vendetta
    Farm: 765pro
    chile

no but I want to see safe chinchillas here too...