Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anime and Art

1. Default Re: Anime and Art

What a coincidence! I just snuck into Sheridan's animation program on storyboard and the teacher was talking about this!

In general he was talking about "Kitsch" which basically categorized manga/dragons/unicorns/gnomes/aliens/fairies etc into the same thing.

from what I gathered from the 179 powerpoint slideshow lecture (omg) was that the professor said there was nothing wrong with it, but it was simply put that, it was just gaudy and tasteless.

2. Default Re: Anime and Art

The main reason some art teachers, or at least the ones i've met so far; seem to dislike anime is because they say it's sort of a generic style. That is sometimes true. It's not that much about distortions to human body proportions, as many of those tend to like some weird, exaggerated cartoonish styles that seem very different to them.
    What they don't like about animes is that it became sort of a cliché, where the proportions, the style on the eyes, nose, mouth are basically the same when you compare some works, it's this situation that they hate about animes, that it's a style done by millions, and that mostly you can't even tell it's from someone else because some looks like they're all the same.

Of course there are exceptions, many of them, and those are appreciated by them. But there are quite a lot of those cases, too. At least this was what i could understand by their statements.

3. Default Re: Anime and Art

Not necessarily. The artstyle is used for a lot more than just TV animation; visual novels, light novels, manga, games, as well as unofficial things like dojinshi and fanart.

If they are ignoring an entire branch of art they are no better than the people who say "video games can not be art", simple as that.

4. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Default Re: Anime and Art

They are not ignoring a entire branch of art because they are complaining about it in the first place. They just either loathe or deprecate it or something, but i have to agree most animes seems generic. (But then again im no art teacher)

5. Default Re: Anime and Art

By ignore I mean refusing to accept. Ignoring the fact that it is a legitimate form of art.

6. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

They are in their right to "Think" that, not everyone likes the same pomegranate as everyone else.

Just as you are in your right to "Think" that anime/manga/etc its art.

7. Default Re: Anime and Art

I can't see it that way when it's so obvious to me that anything created digitally is art. That's quite literally all it has going for it; it is an artistic rendition of the 3D world. Why exclude the anime-esque just because you don't like it? Sure, they can say "it's a juvenile form of art" all they want that that is an opinion they are free to feel, but when they say it ISN'T art, then it is an opinion that is in direct conflict with reality, and they are in denial. Disliking something does not change its core properties, it is what it is.

8. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

I don't know. To me, anime/cartoons are pretty much one in the same. Only difference is the shape and size of the eyes, in general.

You can apply as much anatomical/visual knowledge to get better and better results under either style to make something visually impressive.

I'm still a novice, but I somewhat quantify all works under 2 categories: Technical Ability and Creative Ability.

Technical Ability being how 'good' a work is: Anatomy, porportion, color usage. lighting.

Creative ability is that whole 'matter of opinion' aspect. How good the 'idea' was regardless of execution (technical ability) or how well it gets its point, message or mood across.

If an art teacher only considers realistic paintings of subjects art... they probably don't care about this aspect at all. and only view works of high Technical Ability as true 'art'.

So the question is, do teachers like these dislike anime because they ONLY value Technical ability? Or do they feel this genre limits creative ability, aka the 'generic' arguement. An arguement easily countered when you can see the levels of variety from artists online that do anime-inspired design. Some include a VERY good amount of anatomic detail, save for the trademark eyes.

On a side note, Inuyasha drove me crazy cause half the girl characters looked alike. geez, I can't stand that artist's style because of that.

9. Default Re: Anime and Art

Haha, sometimes is an understatement. Sameface is a well known... plague (specially with females). Take off the hair from characters of different series and you'll be left with a generic template. The style is so simplified that the character is pretty much defined by the hair you give it (and sometimes not even the hair is enough to make the character distinguishable (enter the ahoge)). I can see why art teachers would dislike "manga style" and even go as far as discouraging the students from practicing it.

Spoiler

Now just imagine yourself a teacher in charge of a group of 30 students drawing pomegranate like this everyday. If there's hell, that must be it.

10. Default Re: Anime and Art

Ahem.
    Spoiler

@OP, art is a form of expression of your individuality. Medium and subject matter is irrelevant when you want to do art as long as your art is unique to you. Consider people like Salvador Dali, Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol where their art take a drastic step away from the norm yet still, they are remembered in history for their art. That said, I don't know why your teachers would discourage any form of self expression, particularly anime.

However, anime in western society tends to separate the culture to the two extremes with no or little middle ground. People either hate it or enjoy it. A part of it has to do with Western society still not being very accepting of Japanese culture (and vice versa). This includes things like anime, JRPGs, cars, etc. There are plenty of westerners who refuse to play JRPGs even if they're a hardcore gamer and there are grease monkeys who refuse to drive a Japanese car. Anime is more personal though so whether one hates or loves it all depends on one's experience with it. Unfortunately for department, the fanbase do tend to be annoying which doesn't help its cause.