Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

It may seen easy for old players and people that frequent fan pages like this one, but I'm pretty sure those don't represent most of the maplestory population, for everyone else level 200 is still tedious and time consuming, and don't seem like a good business strategy if they want to keep attracting new players.

2. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

The problem is not that reaching level 200 is too "easy".

The problem is that there's no actual content for higher level players except bosses that you have to throw money at the game in order to be able to do enough damage to kill before the time limit. There's no real reason to hit 200 unless you have good enough gear to fight Cygnus to get 140 equipment, so you can fight the next artificially difficult boss they come up with for the 150 equipment, and so on until they finally give us the Black Mage and decide to stop supporting Maple Story in favor of MS2.

We need more and better level 160+ content. Content that gives better EXP than LHC.

More party quests, more theme dungeons, quests actually worth doing, you know, SOMETHING that's just not more grinding.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

Wait, leveling was challenging? You can't be serious...

4. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

Believe it or not, some people who don't spend hours every day playing think getting to 200 is kind of difficult. Those of us who've been here and played before big bang think it's easy as pie but any time I try to introduce a friend to maplestory now they think it's pretty ridiculous, boring, or both (at how much grinding there is).

5. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

It's not HARD. It's TIME-CONSUMING.

There's a critical difference.

6. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

For most people, hard/challenging = time consuming/difficult to achieve

7. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

If only there were a way to make your way to 200 and complete those challenges at the same time...

OH WAIT, PEOPLE CAN TOTALLY ALREADY DO THAT!

It was never a challenge. Ever.

And Nexon, as well as those still playing, wouldn't give a single shit since, by quitting, your wants and needs became irrelevant.

Nope.
    There was never a golden age.

Maplestory has continuously gotten better (if your mind is able to ignore Potential).
    Content-wise, there's much more to do now than there was even a year ago.
    It's still not enough, but it's definitely not worse.

It's not difficult. You just don't have the time to do it.

If that's true, then most people are morons.

I theorize that they've done this:
    >Things that are challenging tend to take a lot of time.
    >Grinding takes a lot of time, therefore, grinding must be challenging.
    This logical leap is a fallacious one because the inverse of the first statement is not correct.

Leveling in Maplestory requires absolutely no skill whatsoever.
    There's absolutely nothing to practice, nothing to master, and that means there's no challenge.

8. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

The only thing I'd disagree with is this, the community has definitely changed for the worse - from late 2007 through to around the middle of 2009 I'd say was Maple's 'golden age' in terms of player, there wasn't much to do aside from train and quest then, which pretty much forced people to talk to each other rather than being able to raise traits, collecting familiars/cards/medals.

The vast majority of the people that I've encountered since coming back to Maple have been very different in their approach to the game, they want to log on, kill everything at hacked LHC until they level 8 times, solo Horntail, set up a few hundred ores to mine for Willpower while they AFK and then log out. Of course there are still people that play the game as I/we used to, but I think they're outnumbered now. The new content is great, I love having more things to do in-game, there's a lot more variety now and it keeps the game from getting completely dry, but it pains me to think that if we'd had all this content back in 2008 or so the game would be in a much better state than it currently is.

9. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

It simply requires an ability to commit and keep going mindlessly, which many people lack.
    Your first statement is incorrect. Things that take a lot of time are generally challenging because they lack conviction and/or an ability to focus on a goal regardless of the innumerable other things that they could be doing.

10. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

There was once a conference where MapleStory users were invited.
    It was a conference where users were able to speak about topics such as new updates, problems in the game etc.
    New ideas for content were presented and I remember ''Max Lv. dungeon'' and ''Guild Faction Wars'' were in the presentation.

I do want something new for guilds. Sharenian is gone now.

11. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

@Viaje, you're completely wrong about GMS not having a golden age if all you're looking at is content. Like Mazz said, the community changed drastically with massive game-breaking changes, which is what ultimately ruined it for me and many playing at that time. A lot of us playing back in 2006-2008 didn't need crazy ass loads of new content. I still remember how amazing it was when we got Himes, and people would go crazy there for hours on end with friends, for months until the next update.

My point is, the community back then had nothing insane like the community does now, and thus, while everything was still technically easy, it wasn't in terms of time and effort. Therefore, the people who played back then tended to be older, mature types who had already developed a sense of patience and a worldly understanding that rewards are given to those who work hard. That community was fun because they were intelligent, chill, amicable people who you could easily become great friends with and enjoyed spending time with, no matter what you were doing. Henceforth why people didn't need game-breaking changes every month - we were fine playing around in Henesys for a few hours or grinding on Sharks. In other words, we were easily satisfied, unlike today's masses.

And to everyone else: stop judging something's level of "challenge" or degree of "difficulty" based on how technically involved it is. Hard, physical farm labor, while maybe not as technically involved as biomedical engineering, is still a challenge to complete to make a profit, given you need to expend a lot of time and effort maintaining your products in order to have them produced on time. MapleStory was the same, back in the day. It was and never will be a technically challenging game compared to others out on the market, but if you snub the true difficulty in the amount of time and effort it took to accomplish something back in the day before everyone else, you don't know what a hard day's work is like.

Spoiler

12. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

That doesn't make the goal challenging.
    Having only enough room in your stomach for a burger, a slice of cake, or a pineapple doesn't make any of them more challenging to eat.

Also, careful with your pronouns.
    "They" seems to describe "things" in your sentence.

That's wonderfully subjective as well as irrelevant to the conversation.
    Rest of post ignored.

The discussion was and is about content.
    Rest of post ignored.

13. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

Yes but if one of them is a 15 pound burrito, most people will choose to sample the assortment of other things rather than focus ONLY on the one big thing. It requires a lot more conviction to stay on the one path when all the other things smell and look so appetizing.
    This food metaphor is a bit odd.

14. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

One qick fix to make leveling a little harder would be to fix LHC hacking.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    Colorado

One quick fix would be to go the route of KMS.
    Nerf LHC and nerf Stronghold again.

16. Water
    (Banned from this thread)

IGN: corner99
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Guild: StarBurstz
    Alliance: StarBound
    usa

gotta agree with Viaje here content wise yes this game is much better then the so called golden age. Community wise it's gotten worse but thats not what were talking about.

Getting to 200 was never hard it just took longer a few years ago nothing more nothing less.

17. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

I know difficult and tedious can be two very different things, but if someone's playing a game where they grind for 20 minutes and level as compared to a game where they grind for 2 hours and level, if you ask them about it they'll usually say "yeah game A is a lot easier to level in than game B". Yes, there's other stuff that goes into it but if someone says "yes, Maplestory is a lot easier now than it was before Big Bang" it's pretty much generally understood what they mean, which is that it takes less time. If you really want to be asinine about it then yes, it takes less time to accomplish things. To most people though, how much time it takes to do something usually translates into something being harder to do.

So...basically what this guy said, but in a much better way than I'm doing.

18. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

I thought there was a rumor about placing a cap on potential around the time that removing 4th tier potential was rumored, before it was implemented. Something like nexon would cap each person's total potential at 120% or something. Whatever happened to that?

I do feel that potential is the only thing that ruined maple. All the ideals that potential instilled in the players seems corrupt to me. It's taken away from what maple truly is. A game to have fun playing. Raising the level cap won't fix that. I've always felt like Maple was about leveling your character while still trying to experience everything that Maple has to offer at the same time. Most of the new content seems to go to waste, 75% of it goes unnoticed by the entire population. Everyone is too damage crazy, too money hungry. Players need to take a step back and see all of what Maple has to offer, more than just damage. Potential has made that impossible...

19. Default Re: Nexon Needs To Raise The Level Cap

I call this "Maplestory Stockholm syndrome". No, the community hasn't gotten less mature. It never has been particularly mature in the first place, seems like you judge the whole community by just a small sampling of friends and acquaintances. You also manage to completely ignoring the rampart hacking that has been going on since day 1 almost. Remember how the devs said that they would be withholding Ossyria if people continue to hack so much? Remember how there where months, when you couldn't find an empty channel because they all where taken by vac hackers who would just come up to you and start up their hacks in your face?

While I'm sure you've had good times playing this game, it doesn't absolve it from being a thinly veiled progress quest. That you used "working hard" as a way to describe Maplestory just seals it.

EDIT:You're asking people to respect you because you've sunk immense amounts of time into a videogame. Think about that.

20. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    Colorado

It must have been oh so hard standing in one spot and spamming 1 button for hours on end.
    I have no idea how you can call it "Challenging" when you played one of the most faceroll jobs at the time.