Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Flare

1. Default Solar Flare

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...ther-on-earth/
    Mixed feelings. Anyone with some real knowledge of solar flare disruption wish to share? I'd really rather not keep my PC off for 24 hours, but better that than have a fried pile of scrap.

2. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Solar Flare

Nah. Just some satellites and GPS stuff will be down. Your computer will be fine, except perhaps the internet.

3. Default Re: Solar Flare

The power surges could pose a threat to consumer electronics that aren't properly shielded by standard surge protectors.

They've gotten better at keeping the grids stable in larger cities but smaller ones and more rural areas often haven't upgraded enough to handle it.

4. Default Re: Solar Flare

I guess I'll unplug my PS3, but everything else is on a UPS so it should be fine.

5. Default Re: Solar Flare

Has there been a lot of solar activity this year or are they just reporting it more? This is the third major solar event in the last 2 months.

6. Default Re: Solar Flare

2012!

Eh... I just hope my dad's computer doesn't get screwed up at all. Then, I won't be able to play Dragon Ball Online. I'll be back to only having Maple again.

7. Default Re: Solar Flare

This is it. The end is nigh.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes and the dead rising from their graves! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

8. Default Re: Solar Flare

It’s because the Sun is entering another Solar maximum period. It is meant to peak in 2013.

I think it makes such “interesting” news since it something that could have devastating consequence’s and we can’t really predict it at all. I think at most they have around 2 days notice of the suns activity.

9. Default Re: Solar Flare

Wow mark you're clearly not in touch with the events that are going to occur. A giant spaceship from under the sphinx will rise to protect us with the chosen one. Dont worry bro.

10. Default Re: Solar Flare

Reminder that this is not the shenanigans, rein it back in to real discussion around the topic please.

11. Default Re: Solar Flare

You forgot the ominious glare.

Seriously though, I don't see the solar flares at the moment being a huge effect, this all happened last night didn't it? I think there were like two satelittes with damage or something

12. Default Re: Solar Flare

We're supposed to see potential fallout from this through Friday, so a bit premature to dismiss it at nothing, even though it likely will be.

13. Default Re: Solar Flare

Oh, I guess what I read last night was based on waves rather than the total event

14. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

ObSF: Larry Niven, "Inconstant Moon"

15. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Oh no! My life is in danger? D: (if you get the joke)

And bleh, no one should be worried about this (if anyone is). People should be worried if this wouldn't be happening. I read it's like a normal cycle for sun to be active and inactive or something.

16. Lead Ball Straight Male
    IGN: Arrg
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 192
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Century (leader)
    Alliance: Foreigner
    Texas

>foxnews
    -turns around and leaves thread-

17. Lead Ball Straight Male
    IGN: Arrg
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 192
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Century (leader)
    Alliance: Foreigner
    Texas

Thanks for the far more credible sources.

18. Default Re: Solar Flare

Power went out today, at least from what I could tell from my blinking clock. It went out and came back up around 6PM EST, my electronic babies were all safe.

19. Default Re: Solar Flare

Come on now, the NASA link is the only one that is more "credible", don't hold a grudge just because of their political lean, this has nothing to do with politics.