1. Default So, a lot of games aren't licensed for sale in Japan...

Turns out EA in particular has some kind of particular dislike for marketing/selling games in Japan. In turn, it is particularly difficult to buy digital copies of games like Mass Effect, which are easily available via Steam in the States but hidden/blocked to consumers in Japan.

HOWEVER. I have found a loophole that is quite hilarious to me - the internet on-base here ends up being read as from the United States, possibly because it's an American military base and whatnot. So...I can get on a computer using internet on-base, buy the games I want, and download them at my apartment less than a mile away where my internet is Japanese. Suck it region blocks, I'm getting my games no matter what you try to do to stop me.

Besides, I could've had a family member in the States buy the game on my Steam account and still downloaded it here if I really got desperate. Still, funny loophole.

I kindof want to make a Success Kid for this...

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: So, a lot of games aren't licensed for sale in Japan...

now i kinda understand why them japs keep all the good games for themselves.

3. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Military base right? Its technically considered American soil (Like embassies) so of course their IP address should be treated like american.

Also if you buy Mass Effect 3 do note that getting the Best ending its apparently a pain in the ass if you dont play in multiplayer. (plantainish move by EA)

4. Default Re: So, a lot of games aren't licensed for sale in Japan...

I understand WHY it's treated as an American IP - what I'm surprised at is that it's even possible. It does make sense, especially for things like government/official websites that servicemembers would need access to that may not work outside of the US, I'm just amused that less than a mile of distance can have that effect. Also, it's kindof exploitable. Lol. I'm also just glad to have a work-around.

I ran into the same thing with Nexon's games - I can play them on-base at the internet lounge (like any public wifi, it tends to be slow/unreliable though), but not at my apartment. Very amusing to me, honestly. Kindof like standing on a state boundary and hopping back and forth over the "line."

5. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Im no expert, but i think its just a matter of either having their own servers to handle the conections (In the base/embassy), or some sort of agreement with the japanese ISP to assign the USA IP to the base or something.

6. Default Re: So, a lot of games aren't licensed for sale in Japan...

Yeah, more than likely. Still impressed that someone actually thought of this.

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

You can't get ME3 on Steam.

8. Default Re: So, a lot of games aren't licensed for sale in Japan...

I'm aware. I was talking about ME and ME2 (I haven't played them). There are some other noteworthy games, primarily published by EA. I don't plan on buying ME3 unless EA gives up on pushing Origin and puts it on Steam instead. The whole Origin thing seems like yet another Google+ - unnecessary rivalry to a successful namebrand that doesn't really provide anything new and makes things inconvenient for people trying to centralize all of their games (or friends/contacts, in the case of Google+).

I swear to god, if Gearbox pulls the same crap with Borderlands 2...