1. Neon Atom
    IGN: Ibeatkids
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 170
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Reborn
    Alliance: Leafre

Default Re: KONY 2012

...Wikipedia? Really? Never go to wiki for a true and hard factual source.

OT: You guys are missing another main point about this. This guy got the democrats and republicans to agree on something and The US to involve themselves into a problem where they aren't in danger or affected in anyway (by sending troops). This could change history, You guys are just sitting around thinking that if you share a video it doesn't matter. If the majority of the world does it and it happens, It shows that the PEOPLE have a voice and can actually do good for this world when we all come together. At this point you guys are just being hipsters.

2. Default Re: KONY 2012

I can't believe I forgot about this issue. Learned about this long ago in my high school Model United Nations club.

Had to re-read all this stuff to recognize it.

3. Default Re: KONY 2012

I know some of what i said may not be 100% accurate and some I took from things said here. but this is how most people on Facebook react to common sense.

4. Default Re: KONY 2012

5. Neon Atom

Care to go on about how uganda is peaceful? I'll like to hear more on that. Also most of what you said was sorta uncalled for. This may be a "Fad" but no fad has gotten this big and could actually make a difference. Like I said in my previous post, the world is apart of this not just the US at this point. Hell with this international support other governments might get involved and help stop him also.

@Locked Then why is wikipedia basically known for being a bad source? Why in certain colleges you can't even use wikipedia for a paper? With the power to edit posts (even if they dimmed that down a year ago or so don't really remember) it makes it unreliable.

6. Default Re: KONY 2012

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03...-down-a-notch/

Also I'm pretty sure plenty fads have gotten this big this fast.

7. Default Re: KONY 2012

Again, I feel that a lot of people are missing the point. Strip away all the political/societal positioning, all the "questionable" ways they may be spending the donations, all the hype, all the bandwagoning/"fad" stuff, and the fact still remains that, if this works, over 30,000 children will be freed from something worse than slavery, and far more will be freed from the fear of being murdered or abducted. I don't really give a damn about any of the other stuff, that just seems like something that, if it's possible to fix if we give our aid, we should do so without reservation.

Even if you don't think that's a great thing, look at it from a purely self-serving angle; every last one of these people will be forever indebted to us and will help us whenever we really need it. They won't forget having to kill their own parents and friends, you know.

8. Default Re: KONY 2012

I fully agree. People should be thinking about stopping Kony though and not buying bracelets and posters so they can show off that they donated.

9. Neon Atom

Read most of it, kinda on the fence now. Thanks for showing this. but in all, Something needs to be done about kony hopefully something good comes out of this campaign.

10. Default Re: KONY 2012

I challenge you to vandalize a single article and check if it's still there in 3 days.

11. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    IGN: GlaciaIWolf
    Server: Broa
    Level: 146
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Forte
    Alliance: HighestLevel
    canada

Every time that video gets shared or whatnot, it gives IC publicity. IC has already been shown to be dubious with their spending of funds. They also directly support a corrupt regime and their military. Sources were posted earlier in this thread

Wikipedia itself is sourced, your opinion is going by the word of a sketchy organization that no one has heard of before. Please give me your sources before you shoot down a half credible one.

The Democrats and Republicans mostly came together on the issue in Libya, and that country is now dealing with power struggles and lawless rebels.

12. Default Re: KONY 2012

Make that 3 hours.
    Every time /b/ raids a wikipedia page (even when it's something retarded like an old children's PC game), it's back to normal and protected within an hour.

13. Default Re: KONY 2012

My response to people who really care about this Kony thing is to forget about the Invisible Children charity and donate to a real one like Unicef or Doctors w/o Borders. Less effort and it makes more of a difference.

14. Default Re: KONY 2012

Mother of god. Since i got home from school ive seen about 10 posts about ordering tons of "kony" bracelets. I'm pretty sure every single one of them has no idea who kony is and are just buying them because everyone else is.

15. Default Re: KONY 2012

Video just seems like a really long advertisement to me.

16. Default Re: KONY 2012

How odd. I posted this 3 days ago in a different thread, similar feelings when it comes to KONY 2012

17. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

This is my favorite article so far.

http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/189...to-stay-as-far

Can't say I've went all out trying to find all the information available and I haven't watched the video, but that pretty much outlines my thoughts on the issue.

18. Default Re: KONY 2012

That's because it is...?

I have nothing against this movement, but I really, really hate it when people join a bandwagon and don't read up on the facts behind the fad, the organization sponsoring the fad, or the people and issue behind it. The one thing wrong with people these days is that they just listen to one side and decide it's the best one and an opposing position indicates that they are "pro-opposition", for example, by reading on facts and multiple articles, I know IC isn't the most trustworthy of organizations when it comes to taking down a dictator. But by saying that ANYWHERE, I automatically get assaulted with "OMG Y U R SUPPORTING DIS MENZ???? DEY MAEK KIDZ KIL PPL! OMG! GO DI U EVL DICTATR LUVR!". I swear, sometimes I just don't want to live on this planet anymore >.>

19. Default Re: KONY 2012

It isn't gonna work and it isn't gonna help. And I'm against this movement.
    We have similar problems here, where I live. A small group of people that murder, kidnap and do horrible things. They also have kids in their "armies".
    US sends money, people and military devices to us, so we can fight against those "terrorists" and drug dealers. I'm too lazy to do the math, but over the years US has sent and spent millions or billions "helping" us.
    Our last president made a similar campaign to the one in the video. He said he was going to stop and end every insurgent group there was. Most people voted for him because of that, and he spent 4 years trying to do so, yet he failed. It was an idiotic promise, yet people are moronic and didn't understand it wouldn't happen. Still, he got reelected (he changed the constitution to do so) and for the next 4 years he kept on failing. It was impossible not to fail, it's hillarious how he expected to catch 20 guys that are running in the woods.
    They did manage to kill some of the most important members of those terrorist groups, however it was irrelevant in our situation. Same would happen to the LRA. Bunch of leaders get killed, men who are next in rank will take leadership from then on and it's as if nothing had happened. They're still there, they're still doing horrible things and there's still a war between insurgents and the Colombian army-paramilitary. People keeps on dying everyday, but that doesn't seem to be a problem, even now government and most people are against peaceful talks to end the conflict.
    However, it gets worse. As the article I posted earlier says 75% of US help goes to our ULTRA-right wing military forces. Most of our taxes go there as well, but only poor and middle class money because rich people don't pay taxes... actually they get most of the benefits, both from tax payers and US help. Why? Because the conflict is based on who owns the land. Old-insurgent groups were against just a few owning all land, those few with the help of the government, military and their own paramilitary groups started the war. Right now, it's completely different and they're just fighting to control lands and grow drugs, teams are the same, though. When the US sends help, they're helping those rich families, those drug dealers that have contacts with politicians, they're helping awful warlords that don't use guns to kill because they prefer chainsaws or public impaling... and they don't do it just to insurgents but to civilians.
    Even if KONY 2012 movement is well intended, what they are going to cause is awful. I'm certain it will be the same in Uganda, even other articles people have posted allow me to relate and make me think this way. I'm still unsure how well intended Invisble Children and Jason Russel are because, they're using awful means to get their way. Appealing to emotions is something only horrible people would do, the end doesn't justify the means. I don't really care about the fad, what I do hate is people that really have the urge to help but they just don't know how and end messing up with stuff like this.
    It's because of experience that I know it won't work, it won't even help and that's why I'm against it. I'd like to have more links to articles but I can only find stuff in spanish. :(
    Last edited by Words; 2012-03-09 at 04:31 AM.