133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm legit.

86 64.66%
  • No, I'm illegit

47 35.34%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you legit?

1. Default Re: Are you legit?

Begin the mass ban of the illegits, Eos. Exterminate, exterminate! (save me for last, please )

2. Default

Yes, the ToS in its entirety is stupid.

No you don't need a huge number of people posting they are illegitimate in order to substantiate that. It doesn't really do anything to intrinsically show how the ToS is flawed in the first place.

Taking hackers out of the selection pool is understandable given what you are trying to poll "fair players who are unfairly considered illegitimate by strict interpretation of ToS." However it is unrealistic given the fact that the game has become incredibly influenced by people who have abused exploitable glitches and hackers. Even with people who try to avoid such deviants, they are likely still influenced by the pressure that hackers put on the market.

3. Default Re: Are you legit?

Practically everyone here already knows the answer to your question is "No we are not legit based on the extreme strict definition you have"

I don't see why people care if you're super hardcore legit, or you're "illegit". The people who say "You're illegit, just confess it already and stop acting like you're all legit" i don't get why they say that. It's like they want to put other people down so they feel superior to them. If they get turned on by that, then by all means good for them. Myself and the other "illegits" will continue to have fun and play with our friends.

Also inb4 "illegit" drama and what constitutes as illegit vs legit vs hacker and people throwing their legit superiority around.

4. Brick
    IGN: BushidoClown
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: Ex BattleMage
    Guild: Contagious
    Alliance: No Clue.
    cuba

Default Re: Are you legit?

The only people who claim to be legit by this standard must not have read the ToS or they don't interact with anyone online ever.

5. Default Re: Are you legit?

Yeah. I have a very hard time believing that 10 people are claiming Legit...

6. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

I'm pretty sure everyone failed on the kill-stealing restriction as well.

Also, what is
    Does this restrict us from posting links such as this?

7. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

He who is without maplesin, cast the first stone.

Spoiler

8. Default Re: Are you legit?

Glitch spawn? I don't know what that is...
    Does that glitch in Henesys market count as one? Because I've done that one plenty of times.
    I sometimes curse and I have multiple accounts.

9. Default Re: Are you legit?

I'm legit by my own definition, and that's enough to put my mind at ease and feel good about myself.
    It's also entirely pointless to have a black & white contrast between a legit and illegit player, there's a difference between someone who did something wrong once and stopped ever since, someone who has an IGN against the rules and someone who actively dupes and DC hacks. It's like saying a serial murderer and a pickpocket are on the same level of bad.

10. Default Re: Are you legit?

In Nexon's world they are.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Are you a law-abiding citizen?
    Have you ever jaywalked? "Tasted" an item that was in an open bin in a store? Cracked a sexist or racist joke?
    If so, what makes you different from serial killers who also break the law?

Seriously, in Maple just as in the real world, there are degrees of ToS-breaking. There's a big difference between "abusing a glitch" in a way that harms no-one (such as using bugged FM portals to get from one town to another) and crashing whole channels, ruining everybody's game experience (nevermind the economy).

I think the most important thing is not to succumb to the "oh no, I've broken the ToS, now I'm a hopeless sinner, might as well go buy <cheat engine>" attitude.

Personally I lost my claim to sainthood about three years ago, when I would use the "spam-a-skill" glitch to avoid falling off Lower Ascent map. However, for the rest of my journey to 200, I haven't done anything worse. So I'm pretty ok with myself.

12. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

fixed.

i just read the "username and password" thing, LULZY stuff, especially now that we login with our emails, and people usually have their names in their emails

wait, i can't Loot? i will accept my punishment now eos, be gentle

i'm looking at your server checker eos...

i think this one is for fiel? unsure.

EDIT:
    huh, interesting one:
    this is all i could find regarding exploits, wouldn't this make buying, say, duped WS from people something accepted, since technically everyone has access to them, so it doesn't really provide any competitive advantage. and the only one at fault would be the main duper who IS getting a competitive advantage by materializing them from nowhere?

13. Default Re: Are you legit?

I think they mean "hacked".

Don't know why people say "glitched" when they mean "hacked".

Nexon occasionally makes an effort to keep hackers at bay. They recently deleted a bunch of hacked items. I hear they've also temp banned for offensive killstealing at least once.

But when has Nexon ever brought down the law on people who have a name like "BobIsCool" or "MrAwesome"?

14. Default Re: Are you legit?

You mention this twice.

Now show me where in the Terms of Use that we are told not to create multiple accounts.

As for this question...
    Cursing or creating multiple accounts doesn't wreck the game.
    That's why it's different.

Pretty sure no rational person has ever abused hacked spawn and claimed to be legitimate.

Where does it say such a thing?

Such a clause certainly doesn't exist in the current text.

You mean the clause that uses an undefined term and then fails to define it?

You were doing so well, but distasteful jokes aren't inherently against the law (at least, not where I live. Your mileage may vary.)
    You could get in legal trouble based on the specific content of a joke or when and where you said it, but telling an offensive joke isn't, of itself, illegal.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, this entire thread is just dumb as it hinges on the premise that the Terms of Use define what a legitimate player is.
    Guess what? It never has.

Legitimacy is about playing fair.
    Do you know why Michael Phelps didn't lose his medals for smoking pot?
    Because it's not a performance enhancing drug!
    Is it frowned upon by many communities in addition to being illegal in many places? Absolutely.
    But, in terms of the Olympics, the only thing that mattered was whether or not it would give him an unfair leg-up on his peers.

A great portion of the Terms have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a player has a competitive advantage, and that's the only thing that matters when determining legitimacy.

So saying that anyone who has ever violated a single section of the Terms must be considered "illegit" is to show complete ignorance of what that term actually implies.

Mr. "gerhb23gterhbdfhq3wt3gtweg" (NOTE: Far too long to be an actual character name in Maple Story. Just an example.) didn't keep kicking my ass in PVP because his name violates the "no gibberish" rule.
    He kicked my ass because he could attack thousand times faster than I could due to exploiting the game.

15. Default Re: Are you legit?

A pal of mine had some kind of variation of dippomegranate (backwards or something) and he got banned for 30 days and had it changed to a name he got to pick by ticket. We also had a member here at SP with a pirate named something with booty getting his IGN randomized by Nexon without warning.

16. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Does this count as a definition?

@Afrobean @CarrionCrow One of my friends got her name changed by a GM to "BoofDooz." She didn't choose it herself, and it was quite confusing.

17. Default Re: Are you legit?

One could easily regard benefiting from an exploit as exploiting the exploit.

But, yeah, that was the closest I could get to an example of something that would almost universally be considered "illegit" without being strictly addressed in the Terms.

It counts as a generic definition, yes, but it hardly applies to Maple.

For example, as that article itself addresses, Maple has a system that divvies experience to players proportionally based on damage done, so it's not an "all or nothing" system as is addressed in the Wiki article you linked.

18. Default Re: Are you legit?

It's not current but, at the time, did break the ToS (as it stood in 2006)

19. Default Re: Are you legit?

Obviously im not legit by OP's definition.. buuutt, im still proud i havent used any 3rd party programs, bought mesos or abuse any glitch for my own gain or something similar. so i voted im legit :D

20. Acorn Overlord Male
    Spiral's Avatar [Maple News Admin]
    [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ManaSpiral
    Server: GAZED
    Job: Fire/Poison
    New_Jersey

No, I enjoy cursing way too pineappleing much.