Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Any tips on cooling down a laptop? Because I'm pretty damn sure it's not SUPPOSED to run this hot.

2. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

You can buy small cooling pads that sit under your laptop and plug into it via USB. They aren't too expensive; shouldn't cost more than $25-30 for a nice one.

3. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I already have one. damn shoddy work on it though, the fans blow the wrong way, laptop actually runs hotter because of it, so I stopped using it.
    Gotta take it apart and rewire it to change the polarity of the current going into the motors for the fans so they go the RIGHT way.

4. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I use my laptop more like a desktop lol. I have it set up so the back is propped up on each corner creating a small gap for a small fan (I think it's about 5") to blow directly underneath it. Been using this set up for a while now and it works perfectly.

5. Default

Do not do this. I did this. It was stupid. Very stupid.

This is one reason.

This is the second reason.

A small external fan will not be able to handle the internal heating problems going on with your system. It's the equivalent of using a fan to extinguish a fire. Impractical and not solving the root of the problem.

6. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Prop it up on a book or something in the back.

7. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Clean it.

8. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Agree to disagree. My friend bought a pretty nice one and I've used it on my laptop before. Works perfectly.

Don't exactly understand why you're quoting me here but again as I said, I've used this set up for a while and it works perfectly. Laptop never gets hot, although it can get a little warm when running multiple games and/or processes, but that happens even on desktops.

9. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Throwing more air at it does not prevent it from generating the same amount of heat.

10. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Then what's the point in having a cooling system?
    If it helps keep it cool, it works. Obviously it's not going to stop all the problems though.

11. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I think solving the underlying issue of having your system reach the atmospheric boiling point of water should be a priority over purchasing an accessory that drains more power, generates more heat, increases the profile, weight, and noise. There is absolutely no reason a laptop should reach those temperatures, especially for a piece of crap 2.0 GHz Dual Core with no dedicated video.

I know this is a tough concept, but for a fan to work, it needs to have an inlet, an outlet, and airflow. If you rest it on a flat surface or your legs, obviously, the airflow will be blocked.

12. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Agreed.

Kind of hard to explain in words but I can assure you there is plenty of airflow with the way I have mine set up.

13. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I'm not familiar with hardware/overclocking so don't fry me. I still am heavily against putting $30 for an external cooling fan that will probably lower your system's temperature by 2-3 degrees. I don't usually know how close to max temperature a CPU should get according to the manufacturer's information. I tried looking up the Intel Pentium T4200 and it lists it's maximum at 105: Link.

Common knowledge dictates though that the cooler, the better. I actually have an overheating laptop stashed away in my room that crashes due to overheat. I'll measure it for relative tolerance and get back to you in my next post, although Red Delicious to Granny Smith, every CPU is different.

Another site that posts advice on what you can do:
    Link

14. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

My laptop runs perfectly by using a small eraser behind it to keep it at an angle, freeing some space below it.
    And it's a Dell alienware big baddy, so it produces quite a lot of heat.

15. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I did the whole "prop it up on something" thing, and that dropped my average running temp down like 20-30 degrees. thanks for the tip.
    I'd take it apart and clean it out thoroughly, but I'm not sure I could put it back together again. Laptops are tricky like that. And I'm not going to use canned air, because forcing the dust deeper into the case wouldn't solve anything.

16. Default

People need to learn to clean their machines more often. I wonder why this isn't already common public knowledge and there aren't enough guides out there. Manufacturers also need to stick to some standard layout.

17. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

I think it's mainly because more and more people are starting to use Laptops, which can be tricky to take apart and put back together. Desktops are relatively easy to take apart and clean and people still don't do it often enough...

18. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

To be completely fair, it's also a failure in terms of education.
    I took a computer service/repair course at a trade school a year or so back and none of this was ever covered.
    That's why I was at a loss yesterday, and I still can't figure out why it ran that hot to begin with. I didn't have anything processor intensive running at all.

19. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Trust me on this one.
    My laptop once literally burned my lap.
    Clean it. All you gotta do is clean the van. Do it yourself or let someone do it.
    It works like a charm. I really thought that wasnt gonna help me with anything but my god it did.

20. Default Re: So THAT'S Why my legs are on fire!

Canned air works fine if you use it right.

Cleaning my old laptop was just a matter of removing a cover on the bottom side of the laptop, was held in by like five screws. Cleaned it up, put the cover back on, continued with day. The process for cleaning yours is probably something incredibly similar. Provided you don't do it while the thing is on, and exercise the usual caution for "I'm messing with my hardware" scenarios, shouldn't be difficult or harmful.

Could also probably stop by a Best Buy or something, ask the tech help people to show you how to do it.