Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

old maplstry, guys ;______:

Screenshot that establishes myself as a veteran, guys!

Man, MapleStory was cool before it got big, guys.

Man, remember Coolies? Man.

2. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

Jr Balrog event way back in the day
    Spoiler

My homeboy Gavin aka Tiger lol

3. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

Its a shame I never got those external elements that need to load to make the flash fully functional.

4. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

the flash is cool and all, but the important part to me was just having the music.

Here's some curryishott dead at horntail

Spoiler

5. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

Ugh I'm envious of you that managed to hold onto your screenshots. I used to have so many, finding my first panlid, my first aqua snowboard, finding my level 35 gear at fireboars, grinding at pig beach until level 30 because it made me so much money selling pig heads ;-;.

I'm totally with zenkat here, ironically also a beran, the game was the best when ludi was the "recruitment" spot. It made it easy to find parties, easy to train in groups, and just made the game an overall better experience. I can't remember which patch, but sometime between ludi and aqua...man we got hit hard with botters and even the first dupe hack. I would say gachapon was probably the foreshadowing to what we have today, cubes just kind of ended the job.

The game was better because it was simpler, sure we have tons more content now, but most of it is more of a chore without NX, not to mention much more lonely as everything can be solo'd now. I know I'm beating a deadhorse here but cubes really bothered me because it made this game "every man for himself".

6. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

*cries*

That's.. when MapleStory was actually an uncorrupted, great game which gave you a nice and warm feeling.

Now.. not anymore.

Oldest screenshot of mine I have:

7. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

These are a bit newer.

Right after third job was released, I called the highest leveled CB in Bera to my KS war.

My sister SSed an actual GM! (Gm events were the pomegranate!)

Heres a SS from that video of my friend Louis

OMG ZAKUM!

8. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

i see shynobi =P

edit - and thangdinh

9. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

Eddie was my friend too!

I helped him get his maple claw on the first anniversary!

10. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

I spy Beetie and Thief6o4.

11. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

I wish i'd taken a picture of when Cody was collecting sticks to make his themepark.

Still waiting, Cody........ still waiting........

12. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

;~; but but.... isn't..his themepark ludi?

13. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

This reminds me of a similar get together a ton of people had in closed beta for Jr Rog. I wish I had all my screenshots from back then, my oldest screenies are from like.. 2008.

14. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: Leonage
    Server: Scania
    Level: 128
    Job: Arch Mage
    Guild: LouisVuitton
    Alliance: .

Default Re: Old Maplestory...

To Be Honest, I don't think it's the game itself, but the community as mentioned before. I mean sure leveling has gotten easier with recent changes, but it really shouldn't have taking as much value from the game itself. Back in '06 when I started playing, not a lot of people played MS- which made the community a whole lot better. They were friendly, helpful, and much more adventurous. You made REAL friends, who'd do pomegranate with you, die with you, etc...

I don't know about y'all, but I actually enjoyed the difficulty of leveling. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and felt much more awarding. Sure I've craved to use 4th level job skills, but if you don't work for it... what fun would that be?

15. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

Y'all have no idea what you're talking about. The MS community is way too large to draw sweeping generalizations about the type of people playing the game. People were not less greedy, or more friendly back then. Tens of thousands of years of human history have not been changed in the span of the 8 years that some crappy online game has been in existence. I started playing in '04, on and off. I quit a year and a half ago. I remember posting on Sleepywood way back when. It was the same bullpomegranate about a bunch of teenagers stealing each other's stuff, showing off how much money they had, and causing all kinds of drama. There were of course, also plenty of nice folks and great contributors to the community, and then all those in between.

The game hasn't really changed that much, either. It was a sloppily programmed Korean grinder when it came out, and it still is a sloppily programmed Korean grinder. There is still no new content progression, all they do is release a new zone for some random level range every now and then, tack on extra classes, and give you new gear upgrades to grind/spend for. They've shortened the grind, but that doesn't really mean anything.

The only thing that's changed is the way you perceive the game. When you started playing, everything was new to you. You didn't know what to do. It was an open world to explore, and you would enjoy different kinds of adventures every time you played. Now, everything is routine. You know what to expect when you start the game. You know what you're getting yourself into when you find a map to grind on for a few hours. You know what kind of bullpomegranate you have to deal with, and you've learned to recognize the problems with the community. This happens to everyone after enough time on an online world. It's not the game or the community, it's you.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Leveling hasn't just gotten "easier".

Do you remember the Perfect Pitch event from two years ago? Reading the description and the responses makes it clear that leveling a new char to 70 in a month was considered a challenge then. Not impossible, but requiring some dedication. About as much dedication as it takes now to get to 70... in a day.

That's 30x faster leveling! And at levels 1-70, meaning without potential, hacked LHC maps, hacked gear, or any hacks at all for that matter. It's not just "easier", it's bloody pserver rates!
    Of course nobody has time to meet people and befriend them.

17. Euro Minicar Straight Male
    IGN: ZekkenAdele
    Server: Scania
    Level: 246
    Job: Adele
    Guild: DarkLily
    Alliance: Arcane
    Farm: HarvestxMoon
    usa

i remember that event went from 13x to 15x just to get that chair on aran and it took a month!

18. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

While that is all well and good, it is still a pure fact that communites and cultures changes over time. What is accepted or not, goals, how to have "fun" and a myriad other details changes. To say that it is just the idividual player that changes is simply not true, or at least way to simplifying.

19. Default Re: Old Maplestory...

<< I miss throwing things on top of the swingset in El Nath.

Before third job was out, nobody could get up there. I shat myself the first time I saw a Hermit FJ on top of it.