IGN: Ryukiro
    Server: Scania
    Level: 183
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Vigilante
    Alliance: Lore
    North_Carolina

Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

Loving flashlight mechanics. I can think of some interesting maps I could make using that.

2. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

New video from Tiy:

Water demo is coming soon.

3. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

If you guys haven't checked it out yet--they just revealed the first new playable race, aside from humans, in the game... the Avians.

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Bumping this old thread to share: Water Physics!

5. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Terraria v2.awesome

I can't wait for this game to be released.

6. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

i
    what

that
    no

water does not work that way, it is practically impossible to compress water.
    modern "compressed water" technology involves placing a compressed gas in the same canister

dangit starbound this is gonna bug me all day

7. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

I think they were just trying to show that there is water pressure - they had overfilled the containers with water particles just to prove a point. Not trying to be realistic at all.

Color me excited (if I wasn't already).

8. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

This thread needs more love. There are new videos about Starbound!

''A demo of the multiplayer building mechanism in Starbound. A group of players throw together a quick lab on a desert planet.''

And there was a livestream which is over now, but you can still watch the video. 1 hour and 30 minutes of gameplay!
    I know that there are people including me wanting to play Starbound ASAP, but after seeing the livestream footage I really want them to take as much time to complete and polish the game.

9. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

Really can't wait for this game, everyday that passes it looks more beautiful than before.

10. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

This so much. I can't remember the last time I got this hyped from watching a gameplay demo.

11. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

Same here.
    I really can't wait to see what they can come up with with this new ''futuristic theme''

12. I've got no strings Straight Male
    North_Carolina

I loved everything I saw beforehand but the stream really blew me away. I love the ambiance that the game creates with it's sound effects and weather effects. You can really get immersed in a world if you let it.

I also love all the building material I've seen so far. You can really detail a place quite nicely with what we've already seen even if that itself is just a small percentage. Wiring mechanics seem a lot more interesting than Terraria's so far as well.

I'm just curious on what combat is going to look like after they put the level of love I've seen with this demo and stream.

13. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

So recently they revealed the last two playable races (for now at least) in a picture showing off the character customization, which are an aquatic species and robots, respectively.

It has made it very hard to decide which race to start out with for me, so I guess it'll all come down to the customization options, otherwise I'll probably do either the robot or aquatic race. This is also probably a good sign that the release for the game is getting closer, and that's very exciting.

14. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

From a design aspect, an "infinite" world would only tax the server (I assume by "for multiplayer" you mean for all players). It would only need to load/get data for areas the player is nearing, it wouldn't need to load and update the entire map constantly. I guess for a server it would only need to care about areas the players are in, so a large server might need to be maintained by a dedicated server, but otherwise I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

That's how an infinite map is possible in Minecraft as well, I believe.

As for the game itself...I'm not sure I like the new character models, but I would have to see them in effect to really determine that. Is the guy who was in charge of Terraria also in charge of Starbound? Redigit I think his name was. From what I understand a lot of the issues people had with Terraria in terms of multiplayer were due to him not supporting modding(like custom server software), but also not actually fixing exploits within the default server software. It created a rift in the community that really hurt the game in the long run. If he's still in charge, I fear that the same might happen here, even if the game is better in every way.

15. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

No, redigit doesn't have anything to do with starbound, but i think it was the artist Ty that jumped ship from terraria to starbound.

16. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

@Polantaris

Tiyuri was the lead artist for Terraria. He is now the lead developer for Starbound from Chucklefish Games.
    There is a thread with compiled information about what the game can offer. It offers so much more than Terraria. I don't know if you have read it, if not you should.

Source: http://community.playstarbound.com/i...formation.450/

17. Default Re: Starbound discussion thread

I'm very happy to see this, thanks.

My biggest worry when reading the thread the first time was that it would have the same issues as Terraria, which really hurt having a public server due to all kinds of exploiters.

18. I've got no strings Straight Male
    North_Carolina

Tree falling demo from a live stream this morning. He doesn't really do anything until around 5:09.

19. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Chopping down tree-simulator. Fantastic!

20. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    venezuela

Is there a definitive price tag or a good estimate? And will this release in steam on first day?