Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
  1. Default Re: Starbound discussion [BETA RELEASED]

Protip: Don't plant 100+ saplings at once.

My game was lagging for half an hour as the game continually calculated how to grow trees.

Also, I agree with the above comments about the "difficulties". The game has a plethora of combat related problems, more difficulty modes are not necessary right now.
    Those that are complaining about balance need to think about how the game is still in "Beta." Terraria didn't even get those modes until a major patch or two into release. There's far more important things for the developers to be worrying about.

2. Default Re: Starbound discussion [BETA RELEASED]

Unfortunately they haven't shown any signs of them realizing what those important things are. I feel like Chucklefish is FAR too inexperienced to take on a project THIS ambitious; it's like when other indie devs give advice to aspiring creators they always say, "Start small. Try working on mods or prototype games first" but Chucklefish didn't listen to any of that. Every time they make some update announcement, or future plans I think to myself, "And how are you going to make all these things work...?"

They keep throwing too many different ideas into the pot and hoping it all eventually settles and becomes a nice meal. They have no clear direction for the game to go in. The game seems to be created entirely off of every single member of the team going, "You know, this would be really cool!" and they implement it before thinking about HOW that idea fits in first -- if it does at all.

3. Default Re: Starbound discussion [BETA RELEASED]

Their "the future of Starbound" post gave me a lot of that impression. I'm not sure how they expect to fit all of this stuff together.

I guess either the game will flop or it won't. I'm happy to have supported this project but I'm not sure they'll be successful, or at least as successful as they want to be.

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Starbound discussion [BETA RELEASED]

Bumping this because:

Haven't played the game in a good while, due to how broken the combat was at the beginning, but looking at the massive changelog and the above trailer, I might just get back into this again to see how it is going. (once the update comes out next month)

Is anyone still playing or did you do the same as me? :P

Judging from the changelog it looks like some of the new content is already up for testing.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Honestly it's about pineappleing time. They kind of left a sour taste in my mouth after not having another stable update since April.

6. Default Re: Starbound discussion [BETA RELEASED]

I stopped playing probably soon after my last post in this thread. I haven't heard anything about this game in months, since it got tons of pomegranate from the backers about the developers not doing anything (it was a pomegranateshow on Steam for long while). I'll probably check it out again after the update to see if it's worth my time again.

7. Electron Male
    IGN: Auguro
    Server: Broa
    Level: 150
    Job: Hayato
    Guild: Nintendo
    Alliance: SmashBros
    Farm: Impleton
    usa

Oops wrong thread.
    Last edited by Auguro; 2014-12-18 at 01:38 PM.

8. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Wrong thread bud lol.

I myself decided to give it a go after they leave beta. Since i have been working, i can't really get myself to spend much time on a game sadly.

9. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

I played for about 3 or 4 hours on tuesday, and then I decided to try out the new content via the test build today, and I must admit, this update is very, very cool and improves on nearly everything. The game is so much more streamlined and it makes more sense than it did.

There is now an actual questline to get you into the game, which starts with you being stranded in space with your ship damaged to the point it can't fly. you have to activate the AI system so that it can begin repairing functions. Then you have to beam down to the planet to gather materials (at which point I noticed the time it takes to mine/cut down trees ect has been sped up by a LOT) and follow the quest line by making a crafting table, hunting and cooking, crafting a furnace, making a copper bar, making an anvil and then finally digging down to the core of the planet to mine core shards to repair the ships ability to fly. (this is as far as i've gotten so far, just finishing up getting the core shards)

Ores like copper/iron ect don't spawn near the surface anymore and spawn a bit lower down (much like in Terraria) so you have to do some digging. thankfully that is sped up by tons. Wooden platforms, ropes and torches are very easy to craft in bulk, so it's not quite as hard. and you can find quite a few chests down there too.

Novakids are a cool race, and they start with 2 guns, a legendary pistol and a rifle. I found the guns a bit hard to use because they fire from your energy resources and have a cooldown if you run out. So i've been sticking with a strong 2H sword I found which kills most things in 2 hits. (though you do get more energy from equipment, making guns more useful as time goes on)

Armour is also a lot easier to craft, with the tier 1 armour pieces for a race costing just 3 iron bars (6 iron ore) which is pretty easy to get if you go down deep and find veins of maybe 8-12 ores.

Haven't really delved into the techs yet, but it seems like a much more user friendly system than it was. You can use more than one at a time now (I believe you can use up to 3, one of each category) and they are purchased from the ship using Blank Tech Drives, so you essentially find a blank disc and download the techs onto them. I imagine more are unlocked as you progress and move to new sectors.

The game is quite clearly much, MUCH improved compared to what I played a couple of days ago, and it feels so in line with what they were aiming for when they started making the game. If you were ever interested, I suggest you give it a try once the update comes out for real

(or if anyone wants to play it now I can tell you how to access the test build, keeping in mind that it is a bit laggy and has a chance of wiping data. Let me know if you do!)

10. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

A video showing the quest system, tech system, main hub, ship upgrades, cooking, ocean biome and boat travel.

Pretty cool stuff! I can't wait for the update to be released as stable.
    EDIT: Vehicles are techs right now and take up a slot, but apparently they are working on changing that and making them seperate, I imagine as usable items.

11. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Update notes for the updated stable branch (Update releases today)

Anyone here got a server going on? I want to play this game again from scratch in a server, been too much of a loner lately lol.