IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Default Lets talk about the economy

So let entertain the idea that nexon was happy to do what ever they needed to do to fix the economy. what would be the best course of action (you cant wipe all items and start again.)

2. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

1. Remove All Secret Spell Scrolls. All of them.
    2. Remove All Hacked items, Irregardless of if a player paid real life money for it. People will complain, but it will be good in the long run.
    3. BAN ALL HACKERS.
    4. Remove any possibility of a Dupe Exploit ever existing.
    5. Stop being a bunch of greedy pimentos.

3. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

You have no idea how difficult/impossible it is to remove a dupe exploit.

4. Won't Be Coming Back Male

IGN: Biades4hire
    Server: Windia
    Level: 19x
    Job: Dual Blade

Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

1. Sure
    2. If they could/cared enough, they would've already done it.
    3. Refer to 2
    4. Nearly impossible
    5. Not possible

5. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

No but it's also not my job to fix them. It's Nexon's. I don't pretend to understand how hard it is because I don't need to. If nexon gave a pomegranate they'd hire some competent coders to fix the problems.

6. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Delete the remaining hacked weapons/shoes.

Remove Cubes and potential. Forever. Say the Black Mage did it, compensate players with 5k maple points lol.

Introduce a meso sink by making NLC pots more expensive. Or making PQs charge admission. Yes, it hurts.

Sooner or later we'll stop having items that cost max mesos*20. That's the only needed thing.

7. Can of Soup Male
    IGN: LunaMimosa
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 134
    Job: OP Elf Queen
    Guild: Some no-name guild
    Alliance: Read above.

Okay, my ideas:

-reduce meso dropped from higher level mobs by about half.

-increase potion drop rate/elixirs to compensate for lost pot money. (1 meso resell price) increase the number of crafted potions can hold per slot even further to make them even more appealing.

-increase tax on all trades over 1 billion by 4%

-eliminate MTS and replace it with cash trading system (a no brainer)

-alternatively, rework MTS to only work in meso purchases in the same server. Forcing FM to price competitively with the whole market as opposed to the current archaic structure. (allow free players to only sell 3 items for 24 hours, using a cash chop item will allow one to increase that number to 10 or 15, still allowing for revenue generation while still keeping the economy supplied.

-eliminate the level based drop system as it only decreases market supply. Causing inflation.

8. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

@Blades4Hire:

It's possible to eliminate duping, but could require nexon to rewrite how saving works with changes in your inventory. I can certainly think of some psuedo-code that would do the trick, but it's more worth my time to simply note that if it was impossible to write the code for your game in such a way that duping wasn't possible, we'd see the problem in better coded games. Servers going down for maintenance and trading of items are not things special to MS, those things tend to be in most MMORPG's.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Duping must become impossible.
    Yes, it's not easy. Yes, it may require a hardware upgrade. And calling in a consultant or three who actually know how to use a database. But you did say Nexon is suddenly willing to do what it takes.
    It's essential. As long as anything of value can be duped, nothing can have value and the economy can't stabilize.

And no, removing MTS won't help. Before the ee-hacked weapons lost their stars, they were still duped and sold for real-world money through various sites. People are still duping whites and gm scrolls, even though they can't be MTS'ed. MTS is a convenient outlet for dupers, but blocking it won't save the game.

Once duping is blocked, then we can consider what other actions, if any, are necessary.

10. Won't Be Coming Back Male

I know it's possible.
    Hence the nearly.

11. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

#3 hit me today ;(

RIP DS/hero/merc/mage/MTS mules 4 life

12. www.thatwasmykil.com
    IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

ok thats all kinda assumed but thats a band aid fix how do you REMAKE economy

13. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Why are you assuming it needs to be remade? It may well stabilize by itself once all the above are done, perhaps with the addition of a meso sink or "property tax" type of thing.

14. Won't Be Coming Back Male

lol.
    Thats surprising to say the least.
    Perma?

15. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

So are you essentially openly admitting to being a hacker? Is that what I'm getting at here?

16. Won't Be Coming Back Male

Because the ign wtpsimonmts wasnt obvious enough for you^

17. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

I don't pay attention to big name hackers, nor do I care enough to.

People who leech off of hackers, and people who do the pomegranate themselves need to go burn in a damn pit.

18. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Mesos sinks and the like are ok to try and keep an economy stable, but the current economy needs a massive hit of deflation. 90% of all mesos in the servers need to be eliminated. Once 90% of the money is gone, items are worth 90% less, and the current max meso cap seems far more logical.

If they cant go in that direction then they need to do all of the above with removing duping/hacking/hackeditems, while putting in meso sinks, and raising the meso cap dramatically.

For a healthy economy, things should never be worth more money than a player can hold.

19. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

If their code was adequately robust, it should be remarkably easy to make it functionally impossible. It might require a huge overhaul that places a bigger burden on the serverside, but it's entirely possible and shouldn't be so difficult that Nexon would refuse to perform such a necessary task.

In addition to the thorough options laid out by Untradeable, and making the assumption that things like "ban hackers" is a given, here are a few more things that could help:

Eliminate a portion of all mesos in existence. If half of all mesos are removed, then each remaining one would be worth roughly double. This effect would be mitigated as new mesos come in from drops, but if it's paired with blocking hackers and duplicated 10m scrolls being taken away, it would be pretty helpful for the economy. Maybe they could make monsters drop less mesos and have items NPC for less as well. That would help maintain the higher value in each individual meso.

Make a slightly MTS-like system that uses mesos. The free market system is garbage and discourages competitive pricing. Make it easier to compare pricing of similar items. Make it easy to use. Easier than MTS.

Add quests that cost large sums of mesos directly to be completed. Not just with rare requirements that take work and may be sold at high values, but NPCs that demand straight mesos. Make the reward worthwhile for the cost. Additionally, NPCs could directly sell some items at high values to remove mesos from the system, mesos that would otherwise be given to other players and stay in the system indefinitely. This could be things like skillbooks or even some [more] equipment. We need more sinks for removing money than just potions, because that doesn't cut it. Perhaps entry into boss maps could cost a certain amount of mesos? Maybe lose a certain amount of money if the player dies? Increasing price on potions used by high level players might seem like a nice choice too, but I'm not entirely sure it would be too effective when I suspect that the meso flow is more impacted by the TONS AND TONS of lower levels flooding the economy with mesos than with the relatively fewer 4th job people grinding on high level enemies who hit a lot harder. It could be worth trying in addition to other efforts though.

Add a new currency system. If one thinks of mesos like cents, a new currency could be like dollars to those cents. Or, for the purposes of scale, more like a hundred dollars, maybe. One million mesos might equal a one "megameso". Doing this would sidestep the coding situation that allows for only 2.1 billion mesos to be held at once and would boost the amount of money a player could hold by a factor of 1,000,000. Alternatively, and I may be mistaken about this, use a different container that allows for more than 2.1b to be held as a variable.

It wouldn't stop hackers, but it would help the economy.

The way it works right now, there are two currencies in the market. Mesos and NX. There is no hard conversion rate between them, and the closest you could get is by comparing what an item sells for in MTS versus what it sells for in FM. But this rate is dynamic and can shift. Why does it shift? Because the two currencies are infinitely inflating thanks to actions of the user. User kills monster, mesos are added to the economy. User gives Nexon money, NX is added to the economy. There are ways the currency can be removed, like buying items from an NPC or buying from cash shop instead of MTS, but infinitely inflating currency is the problem of all MMOs. The problem: MapleStory has two different ones with differing relative values. Cut out MTS, and the only infinitely inflating currency in the market would be the meso. Also, someone with a lot of cash has the power to inflate a lot more than anyone trying to farm mesos. It's a lot easier to drop your credit card and get a crapload of NX than to instantly acquire a crapload of mesos from killing monsters.