1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

There's no such thing as "paid for by the buyer". It all goes into the supply&demand balance.

If, for example, nobody is willing to shell out more than 10m meso for a cube, then it doesn't matter (to the buyers) whether all 10m go to the seller or 5m to seller and 5m to Nexon.

2. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Oh yes of course, but I think we can agree no matter what the price there is always going to be a buyer for this sort of thing. My suggestion of how the display price versus real price is displayed was juts for simplicity, and the fact that it makes the seller feel like he's getting a better deal than if they were to only receive half of their sale price. Purely psychological.

3. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Except that I think the economy is so screwed up because of hackers. Potions are really negligible, actually. They help to take away some of the mesos in the economy like tax does except on a much lower scale. I don't think they would actually have any impact on the economy. Also, what was this about new players struggling to afford potions? I started from scratch a few months ago and made 1b+ in 3 months. I didn't buy a single potion until I was third job.

4. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

If there's a concern about players with little money being unable to get potions, there are a number of things that could overcome it. People with a small enough of mesos wouldn't be affected or would be affected less, an event NPC could explain what happened through a quest and could reward the player with a stack of untradeable power elixirs, etc. Anyone with a mule with less than 100k, for example, isn't really the target anyway, and no one would know the deflation attack would be coming, so no one would bother to create hundreds of mules just to try to keep their mesos by spreading them very thin (who would anyway if it took hundreds or thousands of new characters?). Players wouldn't even know the exact amount to cap at either.

The economy is screwed up because it's had mesos being poured into it for years on end without them coming out at an effective rate. Some of it is from botters, especially lately, but legitimate players have contributed probably more overall in the lifetime of the economy simply due to outnumbering the goldfarming hackers. The potential for turning in duplicated items for 10m mesos is just piling on a problem that was already terrible, especially since it's hackers duplicating, but presumably non-hackers who bought them in MTS or something turning them in for mesos.

It's like the cinder block that broke the anemic camel's back.

If things were right, potions WOULD have an effect. Potions are the only truly necessary commodity in this economy. Other things that people spend money on are luxaries, but potions, like food in the world, are entirely necessary. Imagine if the real world were like the Maple World. Every person who worked for a living created money by working. They're not paid from an employer who themselves has revenue, the money is just generated out of thin air. And then the people take their money and what do they spend it on? Food? No, food costs almost nothing when they buy it from the grocery store in New Leaf City. Instead, they stockpile it and it builds up for years on end. They save it to buy things to help them work better or faster. Eventually the car they want to use to get to work more easily, the car that used to cost them a year's salary, now has a market-value higher than they'd be able to get at their job if they worked ten life times. Because the market is saturated in currency and nothing is removing it. It just pours in incessantly every day while people work for a living, nothing ever taking enough out, so it just builds up in the market. The only way to make enough money to get the car every player wants is to game the stock market. Buy low, sell high. Over and over. Make smart investments, sell them at the best time for the best price. Eventually they MAY have a sum of money that originally came from hundreds of other players working for a living. It's all amassed and now they can afford their new car. They buy it and it's great! And then the next week a new car comes out completely unannounced and the previously new car now has a resale value of roughly 0.

A bit of a roundabout way of getting there, but the point is: to simply MAINTAIN, CONSERVE the balance as it is (or was), the mesos coming out (via sinks like potions) have to match the mesos coming in (such as from monster drops). Keep creating money out of thin air without ever destroying enough of it and eventually each individual currency unit becomes essentially worthless. Every time the US government prints money, you know what they do? They collect some and destroy it. They have to, because if they don't, continuously creating money makes each unit worth less and less until they're, well, worthless. This has happened in the real world in Zimbabwe... and it has happened in MapleStory too. It happens in every MMO, to be honest, but most games do a better job of pulling currency out, I think. MapleStory has been atrocious at it.

edit: read this article about hyperinflation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinflation

5. Cash2 Re: Lets talk about the economy

youtubevideo:
    maplestory mesofarmer

they should increase the price for electricity in china :3 + i guess there are more people who care about this computers around the clock than nexon cares about its servers :S + this video is from 2008 XD i dont want to know how this room is looking today o.o

but i think all this meso and currency discussions are pointless aslong there is like no administration in this game. maplestory just shows what happens with a game if all money is thrown into adverticement and content but nobody cares whats going on ingame.
    i would like some GMs in each server who study the community and talk with us :3 in some private servers kids are doing this GM jobs for free around the clock and it works... why is it so hard to get some GameMasters for the real maple :S
    and why i get forumban in the nexonforums if i mention stuff like this ? thats no maple thats northkorea lol

6. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

You are not supposed to post intelligent remarks and discussion on Nexon's forum. Also, if you mentioned PServers of course they'd remove your post, even if you mentioned them for a good reason.

7. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

I think we can all agree that the first step that needs to be taken is to alleviate the hacker problem to stop the increase in hacked/duper/illegitimately made items. Followed by the removal of said items (I'm not sure if it's possible at all unless there's some sort of identifier or flag,). As for the rest, it's going to be some very bitter medicine.

8. Neon Atom Gay Male
    IGN: VVindswept
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 210
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Memento
    Alliance: Christmas
    New_Jersey

My friend logged on yesterday to help his gf out with something and told me 30 att racc masks are 19k NX...obviously nothing has changed in the short time I haven't been on, but I see attempting to liquidate my gear for what little I can get was a wiser decision than I had thought.

9. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Still going down too. 20 attack earrings are unsold in the Windia FM for 800mil.

10. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Partially the reason why I quit. This is just beyond unfair and a spit to the face of any legit player who spent a lot on crafting and upgrading their items. If I've spent 100K nx and a good few billion mesos to craft, scroll, and cube my wand/whatever completely legitly, and right now there's duped ones essentially giving better stats in the MTS for 50k, that says a lot about how low the game has dipped. It is basically pointless to play the game legitly anymore. I won't stoop to the level of duping and hacking losers who never cared about the time, effort and money put into something. Nexon doesn't seem to care either because nothing is being done about it. I'd rather watch the game completely perish than see it go down the bottomless path it is going.

11. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Welcome my brother! You have reached enlightenment! -Achievementunlocked-

12. Neon Atom Gay Male
    IGN: VVindswept
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 210
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Memento
    Alliance: Christmas
    New_Jersey

Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Nexon was spearheading/supporting this whole MTS chaos. Think about it...hackers sell godly items at a low amount, players are enticed enough to buy them, but then have to potential and cube them to the stats they want, which means charging NX to get the cubes.

In the end it all comes full circle to Nexon making $$$ and although I'm still playing a game of theirs (DFO), it's ran a million times better than Maple could ever hope to be at this point. In a way, I'm glad to see the game still spiraling down into nothingness...makes my permanent leave of the game that much more fulfilling.

13. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Quit two days ago.

=)

14. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Thanks. I've never felt better haha.
    Agreed! +12 thread points

*high-fives* I quit last week.

15. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

I had just come back since I was now able to play from my new home in Marseille, but I have stopped since I came to the realization of all that has been happening.

16. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

Nexon should really feel privileged to still have any normal players around. My maple wife still enjoys the game (the friendship and party aspect of it) even though she is just as tired of the same pomegranate as everyone else. That aspect of still being able to hang out with friends and doing stuff like bossing with friends is the only great thing MS has left that's still going for it. Too bad I wasn't as patient. I think you really have to have nerves of steel to still play (as a normal legit player who actually gives a crap about the game being played as it should be).

17. Default Re: Lets talk about the economy

Anyone who thinks pots are any type of meso sink at all are high. I can go a whole 4 hours without using more than 50 MP pots and 0 HP pots on my drk.

One and only solution: Stop it where it starts. Double check things for holes/flaws before releasing to the public, which means stop being cheap bastards and hire a team especially for this. Change something in the game that makes duping impossible, whether it be crashless dupes (broken maps/packets that lock your character) or channel crashes. I'm pretty sure in either EMS or MSEA, it's not possible to dupe using a crashed channel.