Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Didnt the original creator of the dota map thing help create dota2? His name was...icefrog...frog..something. SOMETHING WITH FROGS! I REMEMBER READING ABOUT HIM HELPING VALVE!

2. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

He does indeed work for Valve, IceFrog that is. But the original creator was Eul, whom Valve also got hired.

And @ JoeTang, i know, i personally don't want anybody to have the rights to use it, if someone wants to make a dota, they should be allowed to.

3. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Quotes from Blizzard

4. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

The only map editor with a clause that states that they own all creations made using it is the SC2 editor. They do not have a shot at this one in a fair world.

5. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Seems valve won.

http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/

6. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

-

7. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

No, it would be ARTS. MOBA is something Riot Games invented to not be called "that game that's like DotA".

8. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Sorry but MOBA is a silly genre name. Silly as in, doesn't tell you anything about the game.
    It describes 99% of all online games, even TF2 is a MOBA.
    Gaben said the following:

9. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

There's a reason I -'d my post. My internet is slow here, give me a break, jesus.

10. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Is this really a genre that needed several games? >_> And not just flash games like Turret Defense.

11. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

What do you mean?
    The two big games of this genre are very different and barely alike, save for the general idea.

Here's the solution.

So in the end Valve really did win.
    They got access to the trademark commercially and it's not like valve would ever stop anybody from using it non-commercially regardless, atleast their past actions has shown that they're very open to fan-projects.
    Last edited by Malthe; 2012-05-11 at 04:47 PM.

12. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

Oh america, the law of sueing never ends.

13. Default Re: Blizzard is SUING Valve over DOTA

For once a mature decision keeping focus on the customer. Not really unexpected though, since it's Valve and Blizzard after all.