Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Time travel science

It's physically impossible to travel BACK in time, unless the current quantum physics is wrong. Yes it's proven.

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Time travel science

I can think of several novels in which time travel is used without negative consequences and even with beneficial results.

The most famous would easily be Gregory Benford's Timescape which is particularly interesting as its all hard science fiction. Everything in it is consistent with scientific theory (or was when it was published anyway) with the very notable invention of a faster than light particle named Tachyon.

Other examples would include Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, various Dr. Who and Star Trek episodes, and countless others. More often than not, good (subjective) sci-fi will actually create morally ambiguous results leaving us to debate (read: bicker) about whether it all turned out for the best or not.

To take a more philosophical approach, the results of meddling with time travel, if such a thing were impossible, would be entirely unpredictable by any mathematics or simple logic available to us mere mortals. There are simply too many variables. Then again, the same could be said for decisions made in the present. Here the logic becomes rather circular...

To answer by dodging the question, the best we can do is make the best (according to an individual's sense or morality) decision based on the available data. What more can we ask? If this means going back in time to change some event in history which indirectly eliminates my existance- I AM NOT OK WITH THAT. There should be definite limits on the kind of power humans have and I have seen nothing to demonstrate that we currently have the ability to appropriately make decisions with affects on that magnitude.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in the potential of humanity, but I wouldn't allow anyone even people I otherwise trust implicitly to have the ability to manipulate past events. Someday, sure, but that day is not today.

TL:DR Time travel like any tool can be used for good or for evil. The difference is, we can't tell the blade from the hilt on this double edged sword. (Mixed metaphors FTW)