1. Default What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

Some of you may remember that my Maple account was stolen sometime in September 2010 and made an Angry Dome thread about it. Well, I spent the last two months or so trying to recover it, since I recently recovered the email tied to it. Problem is, for some reason I couldn't get into my account (it was "blocked"). After first emailing their listed email, then writing a complaint to the BBB when they completely ignored that email, I finally got a response. Here it is:

Not that I intend on being able to get my account back, but can anyone remember what the "Meso Glitch" is? Is this at all related to the mysterious duped mesos and related "hell ban" I had been hearing about around the time? Mostly just curious.

As an extra, I find it even more annoying that my account was banned during a period of time where I had no access to it. And here I was looking forward to seeing what was new for 30 minutes before uninstalling again. Oh well. (P.S. Corsair Forever!)

2. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

Pretty sure that's exactly it.

3. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

I don't suppose you could give me more information than that. For example, about what % of people ran into this? How long were their bans? Do hell bans still happen? What specifically caused the ban?

4. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

2010 was the one involving donation npcs. iiRC.

5. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Whoops, sorry for being vague; I'm not entirely sure, but they basically hellbanned players for being in posession of duped mesos, which included those who received mesos from people buying their things in their shops. I really don't remember how long this all lasted but it affected a large amount of players. Hellbans haven't happened again since then, other than the accidental hellbannings from last month.

This doesn't really explain why you were actually banned, though, since hellbans aren't actual bans, but just blocking people from trading/buying/selling/dropping items.

6. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

Was the 2010 one the one where you could put negative numbers into the chat dialogue for the donation npc's?
    I remember there was an exploit similar to that a while back.

7. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

I believe that was when the meso exploit that pushed the db release a week back. I don't remember what the exploit was off the top of my head.

8. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

The two I can think about were - the meso exploit where they were trading Griffey Horns and crap to the Leafre NPC and buying out the FM, lots of people were getting hellbanned.

And - some sort of Storage Meso exploit, exploiters were able to generate max meso in seconds and buying out the FM.

9. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

I had my account for the release of DBs though, I believe. Based on this, I'm willing to bet the hacker used my account to dupe mesos and got it banned.

10. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

If it was after then it's the meso exploit involving NPCing Leafre etc.

11. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

Oh? I haven't heard of that one. Were people perma-banned for it? Do explain.

12. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

Oh Wow. I actually think I know exactly what happened to your account.

I'm going to assume you were one of the many people who lost their account via their e-mail getting hacked. And when you did find out your account was banned it was a contact Billingpp message.

Anyway the Nov. 2010 Meso exploit was the one where Nexon temporarily made it so that you could log multiple characters on a single account without running into the "You have already logged in" blah blah message. The unintended side effect was that if two characters on the same account accessed the storage at the same time, they could then withdraw basically unlimited amounts of mesos on one via packets.

It was private for a good while, then in November it went public and spread like haywire (You know, everything in the FM being bought at max mesos). It ended with Nexon rolling back the servers a good amount, and Khaini in particular even further. They were very good and banned every single character (as far as I can tell) that used the exploit after it was made public.

The people who used it before it was made public though all got MAC address banned though, I know this straight from two people who actually did, and every single account they had logged on via their computer was Billingpp'ed even if it had not touched the exploit.

I'm pretty sure your hacker was one of the people who exploited before it was made public, and since they were logged on your account, it was banned. I'm almost 100% sure because this happened with multiple accounts in Scania that were also hacked via their e-mails at some point.

Sound plausible?

13. Default Re: What was this "Meso Glitch" (Dupe?) again?

That's actually exactly what happened. It turns out they don't answer billingpp unless you bug the BBB about it.

So wow, I guess that's what happened. Thank you for the in-depth explanation Phoenix; that's exactly what I was looking for. Shame I'll never be able to visit my poor Corsair again though.