Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

You could always sue them for emotional distress.

If you want all of us to respond to you in neat little sentences, here's my response.

PALM. FACE. DESK. WALL. REPEAT.

2. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Aren't there laws on the state and federal level that protect and give you rights that ToS's say you are giving up?

3. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Reminds me of:

Yeah.
    I'm pretty sure that intellectual laziness is one of the things here that is least encouraged.

4. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

It would matter if this thread had any merit when you play this game you are Nexon's peach and will always be their peach as long as you play
    Like I sad as long as ur credit card info isnt stolen from them you can never sue them its a free game they don't need to provide you with anything no customer support or service

5. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Well if an email address is considered personal property, would you, then, be able to sue Nexon if you got hacked and your email address was leaked/compromised?

And by clicking the agree button after the ToS, you are agreeing to the ToS, which could act like a contract, but who am I kidding? There have been asshats that have sued for more ridiculous things like "my coffee was too hot and i burned myself". Sue nexon for all anyone cares, just find a lawyer who wants to take the case.

6. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

If an email had any value you would have to prove it was nexon's mistake 100% not a sliver of a doubt and not anyone elses you would probably also have to prove it was lost through carelessness on their part.

7. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

I'd consider the asshats to be those who parrot ignorance.

How about you read the thread, champ? This has already been discussed.

And as long as idiots keep believing this, they will forever get away with it.

8. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Actually, I'm not sure if you know what you're talking about at all.
    I'm surprised you haven't struck me as a huge idiot before, because you're approaching Hamadesque here. In both grammar and in content.
    This really isn't how things work in the real world.
    They can say things in their ToS, but there are precedents (and pineappleing LAWS) that ensure that illegal parts of a contract are nonenforceable.
    This is why I can't make a contract with you that if you kill more people than Cho did, I'll give you 10 kilos of cocaine.
    Or a contract that has, in fine print, a clause stating that if you do not show up to my house on July 4th dressed as Barney, I have the right to kidnap your whole family and hold them for ransom.
    Obviously these are extreme cases, but they make a POINT.
    Illegal contracts are nonenforceable, in part or in whole.
    Brings me to this point.
    Nexon is responsible for the items and Nx stolen from your account.
    They can say they're not, see the above little rant.
    Here's an example from Eos.
    Yeah.
    We've already had this discussion.
    We had our idiots then, apparently you're volunteering to be our idiot now.

EDIT:
    inb4 "its too long maek it shortr os i can reed ti"
    If you want to have a discussion, learn how to read.

9. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Funny how you bring up illegal contract when I didn't bring up the ToS in any of my posts
    lol Raul calling me an idiot I should make that my sig
    Give me an example besides a database breach where you can sue nexon

10. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Let's see.
    Hackers hacking you, you dumbpineapple.
    Given that it's mainly Nexon's incompetence at fault for it.

Oh, and that bit about the ToS was a precursor to the second stage of my rant.
    Try reading, honey.
    OH WAIT!

I'd be fine with that being your sig, as that's looking to be my official view on you. Maybe it'll warn others before they start to take you seriously.

11. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

People hacking you
    how does your character have any value? you don't pay to play the game and the items have no value
    try again
    Edit and it was never your character that data is nexon's and you are nexon's peach as long as you play their game

12. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Uh yeah.
    I'm pretty sure that characters DO have value.
    Whether it be the items, the Nx, or the time spent.
    If they didn't have value, then why do characters and accounts get sold for hundreds of dollars?
    Oh, right, it must be because they're fun to trade, like Yu-gi-oh.
    Just because the data is on Nexon's servers doesn't mean that it belongs to them. It is, however, their responsibility for what happens to the data.
    Here, let's have an example.
    Viaje asks you to look after his cat, Rick, for a couple days. You agree.
    On the second day, you leave all of your doors open because you're high as a kite.
    Eos, your neighbor, comes in and steals Rick and makes him his queen.
    When Ray, the police officer, comes to question you, the cat didn't BELONG to you, it belonged to Viaje. But it is completely your fault for being incompetent, lazy, and a pineappletard in general. Of course, I'm only talking about this scenario, this is all hypothetical. I would never call you that.
    Really, I'm not sure if you've been reading what I say.
    Nexon can say that they have complete ownership of all your pomegranate, but that doesn't mean that they do.
    You see?
    Of pineappleing course you don't see, you've proven yourself to be unable to read and/or comprehend what anyone else says.

13. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

stupid "You have made changes in the editor, do you wish to leave this page" message making me double post.

14. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

You really trying to pound the idea that anything you do on ms has value
    Nx has no value at all it is used to buy virtual clothes and bigger numbers
    When you sell ur acct you are technically selling the service of a lved acct
    you still have that when its hacked
    And I'm sure nexon's lawyers could swing it by the judge that protecting ur accts from the bad bad hackers is a service, while protecting ur credit card info is security

15. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Yes, yes I am. Mainly because it does.
    Yes, yes it does.
    No, no I'm not.
    What? So, if I sell my account to someone, and it gets hacked, I'm the one getting hacked? Nice logic broseph.
    Given that they don't protect accounts, that's irrelevant.

16. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

i liek too duble poast.

17. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

Let's go through the different scenarios.

A) You have (at some point) bought NX with real life dollars.
    If Nexon causes your account to be comprimised (thereby blocking you from using the very service you paid for), obviously you can sue.

This would be equivalent to you purchasing a Laptop from Best Buy, paying, but then either not receiving the laptop at all, or receiving only part of it.

B) You have never bought NX with real life dollars.
    If your account is in any way comprimised due to Nexon's negligence, you are entitled to (and could potentially win) a lawsuit.

http://www.nexon.net/legal/privacy-policy/

It pretty much comes down to your private info (name, etc.) being exposed due to Nexon's negligence, and this is obviously a situation where you would have the upper hand (in terms of the law).

18. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

My account, my character, my nx, my items...everything belongs to nexon. I'll give you that, sure.

My account, my character, my nx, my items...everything has no tangible value. Sure, you can have that too.

However, what IS NOT theirs is my personal information. They may not have my credit card or paypal information, but they DO have my email address, home address (because I had won a prize from them before), first name, last name, date of birth, etc. etc. etc.

It seems while I was typing up this post, Leaves has already stated the same. However, I will say this: While I am no legal expert, from experience, to my understanding (watching my mom in a court case with the car insurance people right now), in most cases, instead of actually going to court, they'd rather reach a settlement. Yes, they'll be conceding money, but not as much as if they went to court. That way, you don't have to go to court and pay high legal fees, and they don't either.

Nexon has acknowledged data base leaks before, so if someone were to sue them, the ball would be in Nexon's court to prove that they have kept your information secure. Supposing they argue that the only information that was lost was your login ID/password (well, IDs and passwords are the same thing now), then they would have to prove that nothing else was lost, not the other way around (least that's what I think...I wouldn't know).

19. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

I believe the burden of proof would be on the user. We can't just allege that Nexon had a database leak that included e-mails and names without proof of that (since they only admitted to ID's and pass). It wouldn't Nexon's responsibility to "defend" itself, if you get what I mean.

20. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Explain to me why there are receipts and why we have them then.

If I charge $20 and get hacked soon after because of a database breach I had no control over, then that security of my payment, which is not a donation is broken. You can say in the TOS that NX has no tangible value outside of the game and you're essentially giving it away, but the fact remains it does. The TOS can say anything he wants, but like law, if fact's contradict then it's questionable.

It's a business not a not profit organization, whether it's a service or not is irrelevant.