Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Minecraft Build Contest?

I personally cannot participate, but am curious about further guidelines. For example, when judging structures and the like, skins can make a huge difference in opinion. Shouldn't all the judges and participates use the same/(set of) skins?

Given that it is survival and timed, the block choice will be somewhat limited, so small details such as that can make a difference.

Another thing for consideration, since it is survival, is that the breakdown of territories will be unevenly split. Unless the area (of construction) is leveled out, there can be unfair advantages of the use of existing land to make dramatic structures with lower effort. The scavenging area can be left as is though.

As for size, my recommendation is somewhere between 100x100 and 400x400 per group. Since you have not specified whether it would be structures or art, some groups may be interested in a flat image over a 3d structure. People should be allowed to use smaller lots if they desire, but should not be allowed to exceed 400x400; (and I highly doubt that it would even be possible to make it larger than that in the first place.)

2. Default Re: Minecraft Build Contest?

When I said I was going to create my own map, I meant from scratch. This is the layout I have in mind:
    map layout

Each team will have an equal opportunity to gather resources, as they will all be equally spread out the same distance from each build site, which will be separated by a wall. If this doesn't work, another idea is having a completely circular map layout with resource tiers rising as you venture deeper into the circle (Think Divine Comedy).

To clarify: It's a creative build contest, so of course people will be able to build whatever it is they want, but they must take into account judges' perspectives. Personally, I'm huge on architecture. Another judge might like innovation with redstone or something like that. Whatever the case, if a team does decide to just make a sprite rendition of Megaman, I can assure you that it won't suffice. I plan to have the time limit and building plots coincide so that each team is able to pursue a reasonable goal within the given time limit.

I'll come up with a clear set of rules pretty soon. One thing I'm leaning towards is having a few hour-long sessions spread out over days to allow for more complete use of the map and larger scale projects.

3. Default Re: Minecraft Build Contest?

Well, I've solidified this set of rules so far:

- The contest will take place over three- to four-hour periods over the course of seven nonconsecutive days, which will be spread out to the convenience of participants.
    - Participants will be able to sign up in teams of three to five, or individually to be randomly placed in a team.
    - The goal of the contest is to build the most visually appealing and/or innovative creation that the team may think of, no matter what it is. Obscenity or any other inappropriate creations will result in a disqualification.
    - Each team will be given a 150x150 plot of land whose bounds they may not build out of. There is no height or depth limit.
    - The mode that this will be played in is survival. There will be mobs, however PvP will be turned off in most parts of the map (Details will come as the map is developed).
    - Each team will start with only their plot of land and a food supply.
    - For judging, there will be a panel of at least three judges. Creations will only be given one score per judge. Elements that may help this score are as following: Aesthetics, (mechanical) innovation, creativity, and functionality. Please note that creations do not have to fall under all of these categories, and that they are just goals to pursue when building.

Further rules will be outlined once the map is prepared and the number of participants is determined. I already posted a rough outline of the map, so you can look at that to get an idea of what it'll be like. Also, I'll start signups now; if you want to participate, please sign your name on the following list.

Also, I still need a few judges. If I could use your server, Zelkova, that would be great.

4. Default Re: Minecraft Build Contest?

1. Panacea, Jon, ______

Also, it would be awesome if most of the contests were on the weekends since weekdays are usually hectic for me.