Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Default Foreign Asian students cheat like mad on college apps

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...-economy-china

While half of me says "wat is dis I dunt even", the other half of me felt like this was bound to happen sooner or later - on a massive scale. IMO I think colleges in the States should be extremely vigilant about this rampant cheating going on, lest irreversible damage bound to happen if this is not stopped. Soon.

2. Default

Lol'ed.

This article is racist.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    California

Yeah, somewhat. And I meant no racist intention too D:

4. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

California universities from what I heard accept foreigners more than locals.

5. Default

Perhaps they should put a cap on the number of Asian students to try and minimize the problem of over representation.

6. Default

b-b-b-b-b-but that's racist D:

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

You might want to be a bit more specific about that statement, lest people start biting your head off over it.

(I mean it, lol)

8. Default

It's not racist, it's protectionist.

9. Default

Hasn't that already been done for the sake of "diversity"? I mean, I heard from some white dudes in my class that I have a much higher chance at getting into this state university merely because I'm Asian.

10. Default

we do it here in singapore. However, the government pays for their education in an attempt to change their citizenship once they graduate. But these ungrateful bastards leave for the states once they get their free degree anyway.... insulting singaporeans after that too.

11. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

Can someone explain to me the racism in that article. I mean, I can see it's a bit extreme, but I don't see how it's racist. I'm asking out of genuine concern by the way.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

Asians in the States have the stereotype that they drive slow and such. With that in mind, take a look at this quote:

The guy that was quoted was likely not being intentionally racist in any manner, but coincidentally, others saw it as racist comment, lol

13. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

Lol, they do drive slow though!

Joking, I have no idea of how they drive, never cared enough.

It's kinda overthinking it if someone says the article is genuinely racist.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

Though a reader who's sensitive to these things can argue that this article is inherently racist simply because it's "biased" against foreign Asian students

(Disclaimer: I don't buy into that view, btw. I'm OK with that article, although with some reservations)

15. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Except that would only make the problem worse because the general cap on foreign student admittance to US colleges and universities already serves as a cap. Shrinking that is indirectly proportional to the amount of Asian fraud.

16. Default

Does it really matter? Once they get in, if they're not up to par, they're just wasting their money.

17. Default

I'm sure university and colleges already have some sort of quota in place for Asians and other ethnicities for the sake of "diversity" (I call BS because I had more diversity in my public school than CAL), though they don't openly say so because in Cali i believe it's sort of illegal (i think we have some law that says universities aren't allowed to choose people based on their ethnicity).

P.S. only old asian women drive super slow. All other asians drive like crap, ridiculously fast, or "wtp HOW THE HELL DID YOU PASS THE GODDAMNED DRIVING TEST?" bad. I know this because I am Asian and have been in cars with Asian people who drive approximately like the above.

I guess having the feeling of "GO TO U.S. school cause it's the only way you get a good job ever" is one sort of motivation for this. If the parents really believe this, then I can see why parents would do it. Some parents just want to have the best for their kids an will do anything for that to happen.

18. Default

Coming from an ~90% Asian school, I think this article has some amount of truth to it; cheating here is prevalent enough to be considered part of every-day school life. While not everyone caves under the pressure and their parent's expectations, there are a large amount who are willing to go through any means necessary at a chance for slightly higher numbers (Having someone to do their SAT/ACT, lying on their college apps, etc.). And with the UCs accepting less and less students from here every year, I wouldn't be surprised if the % of students that actively cheat increases over time. These people don't want to be just at par; they want to be at the top, to fulfill their parent's desires of having a child they can brag about being #1.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

This. So this. But cheating your way through ain't going to help, though. Some might feel guilty of it later on. Also, for those that are not to the level that is required of prestigious universities, they might have a hard time. And for those that doesn't cover their tracks well, there's pretty bad consequences for those that get caught.