Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Illegal to take photos of covers within bookstores?

I was in a bookstore earlier looking up books on C++ and found one relating to game programming. So I took out my phone to get a shot of the cover(why type it down if you can click and get a it in a second?). Right before I did, a guard came up from behind and went 'eh boy in bookstores cannot take photos.'

Is it illegal to take photos in bookstores? O_o He told me I had to go to the counter to record the title if I wanted to get it down, apparently any use of the phone at all is frowned upon.

2. Default

Sounds fishy, I think more than illegal is some store policy.

3. Default

Taking sh'it too far.

4. Default

Personally I don't see a problem with taking a photo of the cover just so you know what it's called/looks like if you need it later or something.

The only thing I could see going wrong here is if you decided to open the book and take notes out of it for any amount of time, I guess.

5. Default

That's what Barnes and Noble is for.

6. I've got no strings Straight Male
    IGN: Ryukiro
    Server: Scania
    Level: 183
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Vigilante
    Alliance: Lore
    North_Carolina

My sister reminded me of the apps that scan barcodes and compares prices from place to place and quite possibly a ploy to avoid you from going elsewhere.

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Sounds like a a stupidly tight store policy. If nothing else, write down what you need with a pencil and paper.

8. Default

There is such an app? O_o

It was a Kinokuniya store. I found a series of pictures from 2009 where a guy took lots of photos of manga covers. (way more than The single cover I was trying to get a shot of)

http://comics212.net/2009/08/25/japa...niya-shinjuku/

Maybe their policy has changed, or it's just some weird Singapore branch policy. :/

9. I've got no strings Straight Male
    North_Carolina

http://www.appbrain.com/app/barcode-scanner/com.google.zxing.client.android

and probably a million more as well. I used to see varients of it used in the store I used to work at when people wanted to compare prices on various technologies and such.

10. Default

Didn't the store you worked at attach price tags to every item? Kinokuniya has all the prices listed so I would assume that that wasn't the problem.

11. I've got no strings Straight Male
    North_Carolina

We did... they were comparing with other stores though, not just ours. The app made it simple for them to do so by searching other stores online.

12. Default

Ah, I just got to that part of the app's description.

13. Default

really meh ? o.o at where ? popular ? I got take before but the staff like never do anything also. Next time just use google goggles and scan the barcode and can save the pic from internet. technically not taking a pic of the entire cover what.

14. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

Amazon's fault

15. Default

This what I came in to check for. Kinokuniya is the only bookstore that I have been to that has a "No camera" policy.

I do not know why they have this policy ;3

16. Default

I remember other stores being annoying about taking photos of their products or stands. I really have no idea why.

17. Default

If there's no signs to say so, I would keep doing it just to piss them off ;).

18. Default

I've noticed this in a lot of Asia that I've visited so far. Stores seem to have a weird fear of cameras. Everything from figurine shops in Akihibara to a Magic the Gathering store I found in Hong Kong had a little "No camera" symbol on the glass display cases. I think they're either really touchy about people comparing prices (or possibly a competitor spying on them) or privacy of some sort. *Shrug*

19. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Well...it is Singapore.

20. Default

YOU BEST pineappleING SAY YOU WENT TO SUPER POTATO! ILL STAB A peach!