1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Default Restricting democracy: Republicans trying to prevent college-age students from voting

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/op...olls.html?_r=2

(Do note this article is an Op-Ed)

It has already happened in Wisconsin and in a few other states. And it could go nationwide if this isn't stopped soon. This ain't democracy if Republicans are willing to restrict a certain - and particularly large - voter-eligible group just so they have a better shot at staying in office.

2. Default

I feel as if this summed it up pretty well.

3. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Trying to persuade younger Americans to switch to Republican is proving to be too much of an effort eh?

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Or alienating current college-age Republicans. Which is one small thing I find quite ironic, as the current Republican efforts could affect them too.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Especially when you consider that students who come from poor homes and are not exceptionally bright are far more likely to be studying in their home state... It's the rich ones who bought their way into an Ivy League school that are more likely to have no heart.

Anyway, wouldn't it be simpler to try and raise the minimum voting age?

6. I've got no strings Straight Male
    IGN: Ryukiro
    Server: Scania
    Level: 183
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Vigilante
    Alliance: Lore
    North_Carolina

Methinks they're trying to be more subtle with hopes of less public outcry.

7. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I doubt many kids vote until at least after they have their own place which probably wouldn't happen until mid 20s, so with that in mind, invalidating everyone instead of doing this is a pretty retarded move.

8. Default

I believe a Doonesbury comic summed it up pretty well.
    "By mandating strict ID requirements, we can disenfranchise the poor, the infirm, students, minorities- anyone who can't be counted on to vote responsibly!"
    "So instead of making your tent bigger, the strategy now is to make the Democratic tent smaller?"
    "Right!"

9. Default

This is why we need these kids to be able to vote... So stupid pomegranate like this doesn't happen.

10. Default

Uh.. I don't even..

Do they not think that these college students will one day be eligible for voting by THEIR requirements?

11. Default

holy pomegranate this is just goddamn disgusting
    i can't wait for all the elderly politicians to just pineappleing die off
    their outdated policies are pineappleing ruining this nation.

12. Default

Eligibility to vote should be revoked upon decision to vote Republican. That's how things should work.

13. Default

LOL! Couldn't agree more!

14. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I disagree. I think that plenty of college students vote before they are in their 20s or before they have their own place. To assume that most people wait until their 20s is kind of ridiculous although it is true that the % of the eligible voting pop. that actually votes is rather low. Either way, once again, LOLREPUBLICANS and LOLTHISCOUNTRY.

15. Default

You just gave me an idea, why not instead of not letting college students vote make it so that voting has an age limit both ways (e.g. 18-65)?

16. Default

This.

17. Default

Not to be a stickler, but the same goes for Democrat. Both parties are equally bad.

18. Default

This is going to go badly, keep it civil.

Older people vote conservative, I don't know which party is considered "conservative" in America, in Canada they generally name themselves after their political views in relation to the left-right scale we use here.

19. Default

Conservative = Republican
    Liberal = Democrat

Republican has majority of House iirc so it's hard for the Democratic president to do anything about the stuff being tossed at him, thus it makes him look bad when in reality it's congress' fault.