Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

U.S. citizens can vote in the first election after they reach 18, and no, it's optional. Voting is a privilege not an obligation. For some idiotic reason.

2. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

3. Default

Heh, we're not allowed to vote until we're 21. Chill out, it's not that bad if the Republicans try to knock the voting age back a little.

You could always suggest making people who don't vote lose their vote. That's what happens here, it's very effective at making things obligations.

4. Default

They're not trying to knock the age back, that would be universal. They're making it harder for a select set of people which is discriminatory.

5. Default

Aren't most youngsters students anyway? o_0

I'll go check it out.

6. Default

I'm not really familiar with the concept but aren't they essentially doing what the military does for people overseas? Like have stations for "out of state" voters?

7. Default

Most is not all, and again, this only screws with the ones who are out of state.

8. Default

Seriously? You deal with idiots constantly and would STILL want obligatory voting? General populous are sheep and vote for the most recognizable names. If they feel like Obama isn't doing a good job then they'll go for the next most recognizable names which would be...

Ron Paul
    Michelle Bachmann

and not running but...

Donald Trump
    Sarah Palin

It's a damn good thing that it's not an obligation or both our countries would've gone down in flames long ago.

9. Default

No no, you have to work with my delusion. In my world where voting is compulsory you're also grilled for hours on the actual policies of each candidate for weeks prior to voting, the candidates have to keep campaign promises and there are no Kardashians.

10. Default

That's not what the Christians/Jews say!

Their theory is that we're just a sh`itty bunch of pagan jerks who deserve to be burned at the stake (not so much modern Christians; Jews appear to be a different story though).

Nevertheless.... voting is something we have a right to do. However, we can choose to not invoke that right, and nobody could tell us otherwise.

11. Default

That's the most irrational thing I've heard from you ever. Seriously? Personal responsibility? Did your world manage to find the holy grail too?

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

He did say "delusion."

13. Default

I know, I'm just bandwagoning the mockery.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Jews don't believe anyone deserves to be burned at any stake, or otherwise executed for his religion or lack thereof.
    Orthodox Judaism is a weird kind of elitist/racist religion, which does not really concern itself with what gentiles believe. If you worship Satan, Christ, Vishnu, Thor - it's all the same, and is unworthy of attention. Obviously, if you actually hurt someone (murder, steal, etc) you are subject to punishment. But then so is a dog that bites a person.

Jews are not required, by their faith, to convert others to Judaism or to eradicate unbelievers. Quite the opposite: anyone trying to convert to Judaism must prove themselves worthy through grueling testing.

On the other hand, anyone born to a Jewish mother who strays from the faith, must be "returned to the fold" by pretty much any means (Although even in this case, burning at the stake is not an option. Dead people can't repent).

I don't know where you're getting your ideas about Judaism, but I strongly suggest you do a bit of research. It's unhealthy to hate so much with so little basis in fact.

15. Default

My state offers free state ID cards to any resident. If a state (one of which has not been named in this thread) doesn't offer some free means of voting then yes, it could be construed as a poll tax. But I have yet to hear how that's actually the case anywhere. Meat and potatoes is still: how dare you inconvenience the braindead stoned college students who aren't registered - or eligible to be registered - to vote in the state anyway.

If you can't require identification, how do you prevent voter fraud? Say there is no voter fraud? There are no people starving in Ukraine?

16. Default

And what state is that? Each "State ID" has different levels of identification, for example in my state, Maryland, in order to prove residency is if you have a drivers license. I would assume, based on froznlite's input that states aren't that much different in that regard. A drivers license roughly costs between $30-$150 depending on the state.

17. Default

It's a package deal, if you want to require a particular thing to vote, you probably have to provide it for free to avoid a court calling it a poll tax. Obviously if it requires a "state issued ID" then a state issued ID card (that's not a drivers license) is fine.

So if there are states that are saying you have to have this thing to vote that costs money, it'll probably be struck down. But in and of itself, requiring people to register to vote is not an undue burden on the right to vote. If it is, we're a banana republic already.

Do you have any objections left? Or can I go back to accusing most of you of being pro voter fraud that helps your candidate?

EDIT: Remember the part I was talking about from the original post was disallowing out of state drivers licenses as being valid identification. How much it costs to get a drivers license is irrelevant to this because it may not be the kind of ID that's considered valid anyway.

18. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

As someone with many Jewish friends, I found this post quite offensive.

For me, if I were an US citizen, I wouldn't vote Republicans simply because I think religion should be seperated from the state/politics. Unfortunately that's not the only thing wrong with Republicans in my opinion. Racistic opinions, homophobia and many other things in republicans, especially tea party, reminds me of a nationalist Finnish party True Finns (or "The Finns"). It disgusts me how so many Finns in the internet love the party. Most of them know nothing about politics and True Finns give them the simple and easy answers for almost every problem, yay for populism. Good part is that most of them are too young to vote anyways.

19. Default

HMMMMMM. Hey that's winsconsin requirment's who are under this law. See how each state is different, each with different requirements?

Guess it's not so obvious, but ya know, that's the difference between understanding and pretending.

20. Default

Yes. And George Bush Junior's Brain, Obama's Spine, and Carrot-Top's Funniness.